Sign in to follow this  
sayfulaah-almasluul

UNITED SOMALIA WAS THEIR GOAL, BUT SNM,SSDF,AND THEIR ALIKE IGNORED IT.

Gabbal   

What I would like to contribute to this thread is that the past has past. Let's learn from it and go on with our lives. I would love to see a united, if not a Greater Somalia, in the near future, but I don't believe we should do it because of force. We as the Somali nation have suffered enough whether we come from this qabiil or that qabiil, we have all suffered. Somalia is not even part of the UN's Human Development Index, truly showing we are the lowest of the low, and we are ranked last or almost last in every sector of mankind.

Let's learn from our past and find ways to avoid going through those periods again, but walaalayaal let's not dwell on it.

Sayfullah no one by theirself has a blame for this catastrophe we're in, it's a long chain of event that has placed us in this predicament. Somalia is in a civil war because of those groups abovementioned, who uprised because of the policies of the government, which was controlled by a dictator, who came to power because of a rejoiced coup, which was due to the ineffectiveness of the former civilian governents and so on. Let's take control our lives now and head our people in the right direction!

Gediid or Cawaale the SNM is not as godly as you think bro, I think you should take a look at the book called Somalia: A Government at War with it's People. Testimonies of the Killings and Conflict In The North.

Baashi did you read that book before? You are very close to what that book was about.

Blessed   

There are alot of good responses to this topic. Every great nation went through a period of civil unrest and I think what has happened in Somalia wasn't all negative. Somalia (different regions in Somalia) is developing at a faster rate than it did when it had a government. I think generaly people have more freedom now than they did when we had a government. And no matter who runs our region it doesn't change the fact that as Somalis - people who share a common language, religion and culture - we are united. I doubt that anyone one of us would refuse to help, befriend etc.. a fellow Somali just because he/se is from a different region.

It is the role of politicians be they Somali, Arab etc.. to rule and devide - but lets not let dictate our affairs... the most important thing Somalia needs today is peace and development .. once thats dealt with than odayaashu would be taken care of ... :D

Gediid   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Salaan...

quote:

Originally posted by Ameenah:

Somali Youth League were great men, fighting and gaining the independence of Somalia. So were members of the NUF (which coincidently no one seems to remember) who rigorously campaigned for the independence of British Somaliland and who later joined (quite willing if I may add) to the United Somalia.

Aamina, walaashiis saa mooday ma'aha xaalada.

While
NUF
{I don't know if this being the correct name} campaigned the freedom of British Soomaaliland, SYL was not limited to one region. While there were a lot of parties that represented clan-based regions in the south, SYL was not. True to their word, SYL was the only party that dreamed the creation of Soomaali Weyn; and it thus became effective, and had secret offices almost in all Soomaali lands, including British Soomaaliland, Soomaali Galbeed, Italian Soomaaliland; it even reached French Soomaaliland. It was this reason SYL got popular with Soomaalis, regardless of clan division.

By the way, SYL got on its feet while the British were almost occupying the entire Soomaali lands, only Jabuuti was the exception at that time, because the Italians were defeated in W-W-II, including to lose the power-base of southern part and Soomaali Galbeed which they controlled to British army. Unlike their Italian counterpart, British tolerated and gave a limited power to locals; this had given rise to the creation of SYL. SYL might have been created while Talyaani was still in control, but it wasn't that visible and fletched.

The independence of Somaliland was something that was decided later by the people of Sland and not the SNM for several reasons... one of the being the instability of the rest of Somalia at the time that it was formed.

The volatility of Soomaaliya was not the main motive behind the secession of Somaliland in 1991. Soomaaliland was created, not on the instability of the rest of Soomaaliya, but as a result of their pure dissatisfaction with the very first conference held in Jabuuti back in early 1991. That quick-fix scheme conference was what brought overall explosive nature Soomaaliya state is found right now; first because it was a quick-way out, quick-solution conference, ignoring the facts of conflict. It was wrongly miscalculated, most delegates being members of
Manifesto
* group, electing one among them as president, Cali Mahdi Maxamed. And indeed, certain clans were shunned, among them Siyaad Barre’s clan.

In that conference, Soomaaliland {led by ambitious, power-hungry individuals} wanted a greater share of power, including two equal powerful federal state regions, mainly consisting Soomaaliya and Soomaaliland, which was wholly rejected by the delegates. One reason being if Soomaaliya opted to have federal system, each region should get equal representatives, which the delegates of Soomaaliland did not like.

Manifesto
consisted powerful individuals displeased with the culminative actions taken by Siyaad Barre's regime and signed a declaration with each person's name on; it was in late '89 and early '90. In the communiqué was that Maxamed Siyaad Barre
must
resign immediately and safe the Soomaali nation on the brink of civil explosion. Aw Siyaad's response?? To arrest all of them who confirmed their signatures immediately. But some feared and didn't aknowledge their signatures, among in this group was the late Raajis Maxamed Raajis and Cali Mahdi Maxamed, whom were both have been accorded to have said when the feared
NSS
came to them, "Aah, we never signed this proclamation. Where did you get it from?"

Untrue to their hearts.

Soon Wanaagsan.
MMA I wonder where you get your history from,secret offices in Somaliland and all Somalilands.Uhmmmm never heard that that one before but let me tell you this SYL was an independence movement for Italian Somaliland ,the rest is a myth blown out proportion fabricated and published in Somali history after Somali was drafted in 1972 by the military government.I guessed it worked because we have people in here who actually live by it redface.gif

i totally agree with brother hornafrique.the point is nations can go through diffculties,wars,destruction,separations and so on put the most important is to learn from our past mistakes,failure to do may,will absolutely increase the chances of histroy repeating itself.history is there for us to review when we need,to avoid the past mistak and to correct them.no matter who was the originator of such mistakes what matter is who can solve what others messed. there is no doubt whatsoever that millitary dictators regime,and corruped ellite had largely to be blamed what happened and still continouing to happen.the greatest mistake was removal of civil elected goverment.had that not being the case somali won't been in current situaation.i do not,however thraw totality of blame on the necks of dictators i blame forieng and various internal organstion as well.having said that i believe there were many ways to end dictatorship in somalia.pullet alone wasn't the solution of somali as S.S.D.F,S,N.M AND their alike did.they had the opportunity to use the regime's coruption,mismangement of puplic funds and leninism policies, to seek freeworld support.that would have better for somalia interest and retaining,holding our beloved country together.

well thanx for of u who participated this debate,

Blessed   

^^ BUT.. it happened! So lets get over it. Thats just so 1980's walaal. Maanta la joogaa, where do you go from here?>>>>>>>>>>

India   

Sayfulaah and Amina,

Brother/Sister,

How can one move on, if one is not even willing to acknowledge the past?

How can you put forward the notion of unity when unity is not a valid option(not even for a sec) for the other party?

Let me elobrate on both points:

I can still see Barre's sons ( no need to mention names mind) blatent belitting the ONLY REVOLUTION IN AFRICA-the SNM. Notice how the mention of the NUF was purshed a side as a mere moment in history when indeed they where the fathers of resistance in Somalia then.

See when society is to come to terms with thier problems, there must be first and undoubtly acknowledgement. Southern Somalia is to blame for the situation that it is in today becuase it seem to turn a blind eye to its past.

On the point of unification--this is no starter as far as Somaliland is concerned. So why dwell on somthing that will never be!

Lastly, many of you seem to think that the SNM is a has been!!! FYI, the SNM is a legacy that lives and in each and every one of us Somalilanders and definately in MOI ;)

Dusty

Brave   

^^^^ as you said the sons of Bare would love to brush off the oppression their fathers have committed against innocent people & want us to unite with them while they are celebrating 21 October anniversary that allowed them to kill people. Here's a response I gave to another lost son of Barre.

------------------------------------------------

I will not answer your unintelligent question that was derived by this quote;

last week i had the unfortunate chance of having a guest who was pro somaliand! i got the idea from him that most somalilanders still
claim that a genocide was committed against them by the southerners
!

Continuing to deny that your people committed genocide is what’s keeping you killing each other to date. Like the latest clan fighting where Siad’s own clan received deaths & casualties, in this blessed month of Ramadan if I may add. It seemed these ppl have no respect for this holy month let alone other Muslim’s life, but then they didn’t have that when they were killing and ordering the killing of other fellow Muslims (Somalilanders) did they? There’s a Somali word called ‘Cuqubo’ which you seemed not to understand it exists, but you’re experiencing it.

i asked him if hes aware that many todays rulers of somaliland, including riyaale and the mid-wife were part of siyad's regime!

Riyale collaborated with the government to kill his own ppl (so did Jews collaborate with the Nazis against their ppl), but his day of reckoning will come soon if not in this life in the hereafter. I see that you included Adna Aden as one of the warlords it just shows how much hate you’re harbouring towards Somaliland, which you are so blinded by it.

Keep talking as I said before the ship of Somaliland has sailed far into the horizon and it will take Somalia 13yrs to reach it, in which case Somaliland would have travelled another 13yrs.

-------------------------------------------------

The chickens have come home to roost.

Somali, and poltics....

After contributing to a variety of topics in this section can only conclude that its no point join in the discussions anymore.

Its a bigg joke

Gabbal   

^^^On the contrary Shujui this discussion has been very stimulating and one of the most civilized discussions I've seen in SomaliaOnline for quite a while. Now if a few lost individuals, although more than welcome, decide to voice their realistic distortions then it is their problems. Sami_Gyrl is, I believe, suffering from post traumatic Stress or something. If I knew her or where she lived, I would definitely pay for a mental evaluation on her. No kidding.

India   

Horn hon,

I could easily reply that you my dear is suffering from definate withdrawel syptoms with Sami....but I cant be asked!

I mean seriously how many times do we have to have this you are sami and am not Sami business??? Really now!

Dusty.

Notice how someone got so aggitated even though the comment was not addressed to ergghm "her" smile.gif .

Yeah HA it has been a "civilised debate" but has it been worthwhile? Sure i ahve found some stuff said informative, but whats the point of revisiting the past without looking forward.

I have grown tired of the normal artificial divide that routinly pop up when this issue is debated.

As Usual nothing substantial, Factual, or progressive is being debate, just old exchanges between the same nomads recycled into new words of no meaning.

I do have some free time on my hands, but not for this. I shall stick to othr issues that are close to my heart from here on

Changed   

Lastly, many of you seem to think that the SNM is a has been!!! FYI, the SNM is a legacy that lives and in each and every one of us Somalilanders and definately in MOI

May i say u are suffering from :

hyper nationalism ........

.....Xenophopia .....

..and Jingoism J/K on serious note somalis are pathetic even our educated one's ..i think a greater somali would never be......and i doubt we will have a government anytime soon redface.gif:( I.E: if we keep bickering over who did who? who wont forget what? and who was harmed the most?.... Blaming one another does not resolve issues ..

and instead of arguing what destroyed greater somali , what clan did what ? How SNM ,USC ,NUF, etc didnt follow the greater somali dream? think about their mistakes , approaches that would have been taken ? how to clean up the mess that was caused by whoever u blame for the war in somali?

and those that are hidding from the truth: truth is yes somalilander were tortured , it was not fair.. to those that want it known yes we know we just dont want to think about it cuz it brings hate, and disgust and that wont help us come up with a solution cuz emotions are to be kept aside.. yeah remember people from the south , east , west have been tortured too but not the amount of the northerners ..Happy redface.gificon_razz.gif

Good debate, strated off well, some good information from MMA, good exchanges between Gediid and few others who seem to be well informed, but then comes along Angel Dear Dust, who informs us that the SNM was the most important movement in Africa on a par with the ANC. lets just say that was brilliant.

My own opinion is that the SYL where legends who strived for a united Somalia and who accomplished great things, howver what is needed today is another group like the SYL to liberate us from our own demons.

So long folks

And have a good EID