Sign in to follow this  
Gorilla Theater

Rwanda calls for end to Somali violence!

Castro, I don’t think there is a parallel between what happened in Rwanda and what happened in Somalia. The Rwanda tragedy had an ethnic dimension to it! In both Political and cultural terms, the two ethnic groups that violently killed each other were no equals! Ours is fundamentally different. By any standard, Somali clans were/are equals, and no one single clan among them dominated/dominate over the other as decisively as the Tutsi did over the Hutu.

Castro, Some Believe that the people of bay and bakool are larger then the other three or four, lets not forget the other d or awdalites.

_, the awdalites were treated just as badly as those from bay and bakool.

And since when did clan names were condoned? Mise single letters ayaa la mooday inay caadi tahay?

I am sorry, biibol, but this is blatant attempt to sidestepping the rules of this site.

I am sorry again, but I have no choice but to edit.

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Castro, I don’t think there is a parallel between what happened in Rwanda and what happened in Somalia. The Rwanda tragedy had an ethnic dimension to it! In both Political and cultural terms, the two ethnic groups that violently killed each other were no equals! Ours is fundamentally different. By any standard, Somali clans were/are equals, and no one single clan among them dominated/dominate over the other as decisively as the Tutsi did over the Hutu.

The last part I agree with, partially. Though it could be argued that Afweyne's sub clan, a small minority even within its clan, "decisively" dominated all other clans. Minority ruling over the majority.

On ethnicity, it depends upon whom you ask. Many Somalis consider their clan to be ethnically different (superior?) to other clans. Whether claiming ancestry to the Prophet (pbuh) or the Portuguese, ethnicity, my friend, is in the eye of the beholder.

Both countries are religiously and racially homogeneous. I believe the ethnicity argument is a creation of colonizers (of any era) and one that has wreaked much havoc in many parts of the world. The conquered are first divided into two or more groups then each group is randomly assigned a superiority index. The colonizer then sits back and watches centuries of bloodshed between them.

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

And since when did clan names were condoned? Mise single letters ayaa la mooday inay caadi tahay?

I am sorry, biibol, but this is blatant attempt to sidestepping the rules of this site.

Sorry Shaqada ku badinay.

Castro...You make good point. Alot literally believe being superior to their brethen simply virtue of tribal affiliation. Without pointing fingers at anyone, I can tell honestly people within my clan sincerely believe and even some in my own believe that.

Naxar..Right on, I found out when you speak with Somali person alone, he/she own up to their mistakes and accept the silliness and absurdities in propagating chauvinism. The same person will sing different tone when he or she is among his "kind".

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

How ironic. Were you not the one who was caught recently for deliberately posting this with my intention being that Castro has more respect for the rules of the site than you, a moderator picked because of his tribal background and would supposedly be deemed neutral in national matters?

barderahb8.png

Nephissa   

Wait a minute! Holup..holup..holup! I said: "[insert name here] xaq bu u leeyahay inuu wax bur-bursho".. as in, I see perfectly fine that they get up and protest, and let their voice be heard [not go on a killing spree] - Don't make your own assumptions guys 'cause you know the rest....

p.s. I have to admit, much as I like you Cara, if [insert name here] offers me a free car and money to avenge for what your tribesmen did, I'd be surely tempted to lure you back to their place and have them poison your shaax! And just for the record my tribesmen didn't ACTUALLY kill anyone. :D

Originally posted by Castro:

The last part I agree with, partially. Though it could be argued that Afweyne's sub clan, a small minority even within its clan, "decisively" dominated all other clans. Minority ruling over the majority.

On ethnicity, it depends upon whom you ask. Many Somalis consider their clan to be ethnically different (superior?) to other clans. Whether claiming ancestry to the Prophet (pbuh) or the Portuguese, ethnicity, my friend, is in the eye of the beholder.

Both countries are religiously and racially homogeneous. I believe the ethnicity argument is a creation of colonizers (of any era) and one that has wreaked much havoc in many parts of the world. The conquered are first divided into two or more groups then each group is randomly assigned a superiority index. The colonizer then sits back and watches centuries of bloodshed between them.

You do have some good points there, Castro. Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the colonial books. But dictator Barre did not derive his power from his sub clan adeer. And although his sub clan admittedly showed on in the highest managerial levels of the organs of the state, they were not considered entrenched elites for Somalis never had anything of that sort! It was Barre who used supposedly legitimate state machinations and its monopoly of violence to subdue and unjustly silence his opponents, and not the design of his sub clan per se, I believe! Granted that his sub clan helped him and cheered on for him as one of their own but again many others were equally guilty of that crime and happily raised their clinched fist for Barre's regime…

The animosity and hatred between Somalis is exceedingly exaggerated! Most grievances I can think of are political in nature! Furhter more, the origins of Somali clans never got factored in Somalia’s political arithmetic. I really do believe this clan majesty thing some speak to hardly leave kitchen tables or transcend beyond Starbucks fadhi-ku-dirirs! To me, it’s just piece of our historical narrative, and as outlandish as it may sound I prefer it to the western anthropologist’s version of our origin and how we come about and progressed as people!

In the final analysis, the division between Somalis is maintained by external actors and exacerbated by the ignorant policies of the sole super power of our time! What’s preventing peace from our lands is not only our ignorance and lack of understanding of each other, rather, and I firmly believe this, it’s the Ethiopian resolve to finish off its archenemy while its weak and down. Whether we rise above our differences and accept this historic, and difficult challenge of resurrecting our state whilst others are demolishing it remains to be seen. Even if it’s for Allah’s divine pen that the Somali race expire, we shall in no way perish alone…

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Wait a minute! Holup..holup..holup!

Kax kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax...Adoo saas u hadlooyo lee imasawirantay...

MMA, editing rampage lee iga dheh...lool...Soco seefta soo qaado yaaqoo, labadaan maalin meeshaan waaka jiifatee, wah...WOOSH, KAN GOO...WOOSH, TAAS GOO...WOOSH, WOOSH... :D Teeda kale dadka waa la ignore gareeyaa maaka dambeysaa, qofka kaa sareeyo waxuu ku weydiiyee ka jawaab wah...Haye haye, anigana i ignore garee...

Gabbal   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

quote:Originally posted by Castro:

You do have some good points there, Castro. Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the colonial books. But dictator Barre did not derive his power from his sub clan adeer. And although his sub clan admittedly showed on in the highest managerial levels of the organs of the state, they were not considered entrenched elites for Somalis never had anything of that sort! It was Barre who used supposedly
legitimate
state machinations and its monopoly of violence to subdue and unjustly silence his opponents, and not the design of his sub clan per se, I believe! Granted that his sub clan helped him and cheered on for him as one of their own but again many others were equally guilty of that crime and happily raised their clinched fist for Barre's regime…

The animosity and hatred between Somalis is exceedingly exaggerated! Most grievances I can think of are political in nature! Furhter more, the origins of Somali clans never got factored in Somalia’s political arithmetic. I really do believe this clan majesty thing some speak to hardly leave kitchen tables or transcend beyond Starbucks fadhi-ku-dirirs! To me, it’s just piece of our historical narrative, and as outlandish as it may sound I prefer it to the western anthropologist’s version of our origin and how we come about and progressed as people!

In the final analysis, the division between Somalis is maintained by external actors and exacerbated by the ignorant policies of the sole super power of our time! What’s preventing peace from our lands is not only our ignorance and lack of understanding of each other, rather, and I firmly believe this, it’s the Ethiopian resolve to finish off its archenemy while its weak and down. Whether we rise above our differences and accept this historic, and difficult challenge of resurrecting our state whilst others are demolishing it remains to be seen. Even if it’s for Allah’s divine pen that the Somali race expire, we shall in no way perish alone…
Xiin, its been a while so if you will allow me to address you, how do you reconcile agreeing with Baashi whenever he is in the house in the position that a dirrin with the TFG is the only possible solution to the present quagmire while giving voice to strong resistance and unflinching stance in the face of the Ethiopian occupation and its stooge administration arguing dialogue is not possible while the country is under occupation? Can one not then label your various positions contradictory in nature?