Sign in to follow this  
BUKURR

What do you think?

BUKURR   

This is not to provoke SOLer's or to reaffirm my stands on some issues, but BUT I have this:

What is with the religious trend that is sweeping across SomaliCanadians these days. I have seen, noticed and observed behaviors that are very, to say at least, funny but in all seriousness if this is where the Somali diaspora are coming to, and we all know what the ones inside the God forsaken country doing, what does the future hold for us? Is it time to throw Somali identity for good?

P.S. This is not a debate, just put forward your point and I will be thankful, Peace, GDwonder.

PSS. Camel milk debate.. I know,so yeah ignore that.

SeeKer   

In the interest of time perhaps you should delve into historical data to get a clear picture of trends in societies. Usually when secularism fails a nation, society tends to capitulate towards some form of spirituality. Perhaps it is a way of making sense of the absurd, but frankly this only leads to adoption of drastic measures that don't assimilate into the culture itself and later causes disillusionment. :D case in point look at the history of Iran and its adoption of theocracy, look at the history of turkey and its distancing of religion.

Somalis are walking a well beaten path. Whats left to be seen is if we take lessons from the previous people or we will fall into the same trappings that they fell into.

Following and practicing your religion is not a action that should fluctuate between one extreme to another but should be kept to the moderate path. Unfortunately for some of us, we can't quite grasp what moderation entails.

Haatu   

GDwonder, Tuujiye doesn't represent the whole of the Canadian diaspora you know :D

As for the question, some people are returning to their lord after witnessing some of the things that are going on in our motherland. Some are just brainwashed, whereas the rest just don't care about religion and are slowly but surely westernizing every aspect of their lives.

Never throw away your identity just because of some certain aspects you don't like about it. I know the following advice is cliched but it's very relevant. To know where you're heading, you must know where you came from.

BUKURR   

Following and practicing your religion is not a action that should fluctuate between one extreme to another but should be kept to the moderate path. Unfortunately for some of us, we can't quite grasp what moderation entails.

That is one thing I had in mind, thanks Seeker.

As for the question, some people are returning to their lord after witnessing some of the things that are going on in our motherland. Some are just brainwashed, whereas the rest just don't care about religion and are slowly but surely westernizing every aspect of their lives.

Though I don't see the full picture here - I am leaning to believe that the whole Somali identity is being shaped, but time will prove wrong- your generalization is pretty much on touch with the current situation. Thanks for the advice Haatu, it is relevant indeed.

Polanyi   

You can save yourself the bother and hassle by changing your name 2 William, move out to a white/middle income area, marry a white women and buy a couple pets. If that doesn't work, you can bleach yourself. Alternatively, is marji( not phsyically), as the Somalis say.

Polanyi   

I know, you want to still be a Maxamed Farax, yet still want to hate MANY aspects of islam, insult the niqab, call for muslim women 2 marry non muslims, share insulting pictures of the prophet and so and so forth. Sxb, what exactly do you want? Muslims to give up their deen and stop pracitising to appease people like you. Abadan, Sheikh, that we will never happen, for Allah will make Islam rise, walaw karihal mushrikun, walaw kariahl kafirun. You are fighting a losing battle. Kind of like baldness, except even surgery and doctors can't stop the deen of aLLAH.

GDwonder-Give it up.You can't even debate reasonably with these guys-they damn brain washed.Sometimes I wonder if they just looking for a fight.20,000 oo qaxooti lagu keeni lahaa,ayaa la joojiyay--oo la yidhi kuwii horeba waa aragnaaye,maxaynu u soo kordhin.Dibaatooyinka ay dadka gaadhsiiyeen timahaaga ka badan.-

BUKURR   

^ You are right, I really feel sorry for those qaxooti, losing an opportunity to enhance their life. I will have to add this, this phenomena is related to failure in pursuing life goals, simply put.

Muriidi   

What is with the religious trend that is sweeping across SomaliCanadians these days. I have seen, noticed and observed behaviors that are very, to say at least, funny but in all seriousness if this is where the Somali diaspora are coming to, and we all know what the ones inside the God forsaken country doing, what does the future hold for us? Is it time to throw Somali identity for good?

google automatically translated the above into austrian and "pasted" it onto a ready music track

we're not the first to feel so about their country .. i heard the feeling just gets worse ..

Honesita   

Bukurr... what parts of the Somali identity have been lost with the embracing of Islam? Obviously if one wants to live by Islamic principles, they'll have to ditch certain cultural things that go against the religion, but I don't believe this equals losing the Somali identity!! Unless of course, the individual has inferiority complex and purposely wants to ditch their Somali identity...

Fi Amaani'Laah