Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Hicky Harmony

Johnny B   

Today, however, the Muslim world is not only near-negligible in scientific productivity, but it generates popular pseudoscientific ideas that can compete with the best conservative Christians and New Agers have to offer. From the world’s strongest creationist movements to bizarre science-in-the-Quran apologetics, popular Muslim approaches promote a view of natural science as a pragmatic, non-theoretical, fact-collecting activity that exists in glorious harmony with literal-minded faith.

Among more sophisticated Muslim thinkers, many who approach science from a social scientific or philosophical perspective do no better, getting lost in postmodern labyrinths and fantasies of "Islamizing science."

source

All too often have one heard the notorious Mullahic assertion that too many scientific discoveries are revealed and recorded in the 'Quran' for Humanity to ponder.

Believing in that notion leads to the conviction that in Islam everything is 'scientifically' on the table and only those most obstinate will hold to their irrational guns and not yield to that supposedly sound and persuasive argument.

I might be more Somali that you're, if you've skipped the Somali layman mantra that all scientific discoveries in the west origiante in the 'Quran', and the reason 'WE' are not making those discoveries is that, we don't put too much effort in decoding and studying the 'Quran'.

This, if anything reveals the weakness of science in the Muslim-world.

Today's reality is that Muslim nations don't produce any scientific or technological advancements worth mentioning, wonder why?.

Your take !!

Ibtisam   

It must be Islam, it is not telling them anything! if only they will leave that faith and follow conservative Christians and New Agers they will produce scientific and technological developments worth mentioning!. :rolleyes:

JB, maybe because most are too busy trying to stay Alive, it is hard you know! :D

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

It must be Islam, it is not telling them anything! if only they will leave that faith and follow conservative Christians and New Agers they will produce scientific and technological developments worth mentioning!. :rolleyes:

A frozen venom there ! ;)

Originally posted by Xanthus:

JB, maybe because most are too busy trying to stay Alive, it is hard you know!
:D

Great point i must say icon_razz.gif , no time to even read the 'Quran'?

Ibtisam   

^^Nope, no time to read it let alone understand the not so obvious messages, as you know most Muslims, their first language is not Arabic and the translation tents lose a lot of its meaning.

Jokes aside, I have a great book on this, do you want it? It is 600pages, I'm sure you'll find some answers in there. I’ll look for it, and send you details and you can get it from your local book store. smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

JB

What exactly is it you wish to discuss this time? Science in the Quran and how we should interpret it or the lack of science in Muslim countries today? Or both?

ps I'm ascerting you are confident enough in the topic(s) you wish to discuss. Dont want another round of 'but why this? why that? and how come?' ;)

Some topics are hard to understand ,,,, since i don't live in the west and the engRish language is not so strong then i understand nothing about the subject ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i better sneak out now ,,,,, :D

Naden   

JB,

A very simple test for the charlatans trading in the faith of many muslims (desperate to be as loyal a muslim as they can be and have a shot at heaven) is to extract a medical discovery or application BEFORE scientists do.

Large muslim population or not, poor/underdeveloped countries consume but do not produce much original research for many reasons including lack of infrastructure, poor funding and poaching/fleeing of scientists.

What's curious but not unexpected is the emergence of a class of religious men who offer an alternative to the muslim world's scientific handicap.

More later.

Johnny B   

Naden , can't wait to see how you hold the drill, while removing the nuts and bults of devine science. ;) , as i 've no hope of a charlatan extracting a real scientific discovery, and to be frank Naden ,i woulden't even know if it was him who made the discovery or if he got a littlel help from an Angel. :D

Naden , lemme have it , throw some pseudoscientific verses on my way.

Norf, i see no reason as to why one would need to fake a sigh of " not you again!", but giving you the benefit of the doubt it'd be desirable if you could enlight us about science in the " Quran", how much of the "Quran" is science?, and while on it, do reason as to why Muslim nations contribute little or no mentionable scientific discoveries to Humanity's struggle for enlighment. how about that for a boot?

N.O.R.F   

JB

As the originator of the topic I think the onus is on you to give us a helping of JBs now famous 'oh I think I'm onto something' scenarios. If you believe the Quran has no science then go ahead and state why with clear logic. No need to rip-off articles/book reviews ;)

Johnny B   

Norf, with all due respect,Does giving yourself the right to place an onus on me entail the decency and malleability needed to comply with eventual rataionality and persuasiveness in the arguments i may present or demosntrate regarding The Quran and science, or regarding the Muslim nations' inabilities to produce any scientific or technological advancements.?

To judge from my experience ,i stand challenged, that (won't) might not be the case, , nevertheless, its not a prerequisite from my part either, but its a desireabe trait, so here i am firmly asserting that the so called Quranic science is a clever reinterpretation of some vague verses at best and both a beastlike rape on the inherent beauty of science and a portrayal of God as a miserable science writer at worst.

Domenique,

Mr Harun Yahya is one of the very charlatans Naden is talking about, as he trades in the faith of the millions of 'science-nay' Muslims, serving their euphoria. The first time i've heard of him was when he was claiming that the 2nd law of thermodynamics disproves Evolution, i do sadly acknowledge that he serves well the euphoria of a person who is not well versed in science but sways with a deep religious belief.

How about you sharing with us those verses that has scientifically thrown you off.?

N.O.R.F   

Just as i thought. Nothing but hot air disguised as seeking answers he already has firm convictions on without much study. Sprinkle a few fancy words and 'WALLA' hes an expert!

JB, I just cant be bothered with it. You and your friends do enjoy!

Cara.   

Non-Overlapping Magisteria, Johnny.

"The net of science covers the empirical realm: what is the universe made of (fact) and why does it work this way (theory). The net of religion extends over questions of moral meaning and value. These two magisteria do not overlap, nor do they encompass all inquiry (consider, for starters, the magisterium of art and the meaning of beauty). To cite the usual clichés, we get the age of rocks, and religion retains the rock of ages; we study how the heavens go, and they determine how to go to heaven."