Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Standard

Kulmiye   

History from ancient time to the present, man had a two interrelated blessings he survived on: His food abundance and his high level of living standard, But without the abundance of food, he would not have the high living standard. Most of us in here are blessed with the two qualities I mentioned since we live in the western world where three meals a day is not a gauge to measure a family or an individual richness. Today some people back home East Africa do not get enough to satisfy their daily hunger. Famine and disease epidemic held down their population growth. I personally think that the banishment of this hunger largely depends on the Somali community gear towards Agricultural productivity than relying solely on livestock. Even though we are not blessed with a favorable climate we can still pull some technological based agricultural practices. I understand that all this cannot be achieved at this time overnight, but surely agricultural education and strong research on these areas is a foot in the right direction. It is time to come back to the earth as a community and find out what it can offer us.

Cara.   

There's a strong stigma associated with the agricultural lifestyle in parts of Somalia. The areas capable of supporting farming already do, in times of peace, although not to full capacity. The arid regions could be irrigated, perhaps starting with areas immediately adjacent to big towns. Where there's a will, there's a way.

So anyone majoring in agriculture? Veterinary medicine?

Simply put: sedentary life style is not economically viable in our environment (Somalia). Be it farming or fishing or what not. Rest assured when it does become viable the shift over will imperceptibly come and pass. One morning will wake up and find ourself as agrarian society not longer nomadic.

Agriculture is a huge business, when we combine technology, do we mean genetically modified outputs. Also, we are losing our trees at a rapid rate, they are being burnt for the purpose of charcoal and shipped off to the middle east.

N.O.R.F   

Many 'new' homes in Somaliland have a 'rig' reaching some 200m below with an endless suplly of water. Some homes use this to irrigate their surroundings and grow whatever they can.

I'm conducting some research into irrigation systems being used in the middle east in the hope of purchasing and sending one back home.

Any advice would be much appreciated,,

Viking   

Northerner,

I heard Zeylac has a massive reserve of underground water (wells of Takosha?), look into it.