Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Atheist v. Agnostic

Khayr   

Salams,

If a Theist is someone who believes in God, and an Atheist a person who doesn't believe in God, then 'WHAT' is AGNOSTICIM and 'WHO' can be defined to be an 'AGNOSTIC'

Is an Agnostic

• SOMEONE that thinks there are insufficient evidence to prove that god Does/Doesn't exist
  • SOMEONE that knows that GOD exists but that GOD plays a menial 'THIRD ROLE' in their life i.e. Self is important, then family and then maybe GOD say XMAS, or when someone passes away etc.
  • SOMEONE that couldn'te careless about GOD. GOD can exist but GOD is really not that important to them.
Which is worse ATHEIST OR AGNOSTIC?

Fi Amanillah

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salams,

Fi Amanillah

What is the bad thing that they can be worse ?

Khayr   

Originally posted by J B:

quote:Originally posted by Khayr:

Salams,

Fi Amanillah

What is the bad thing that they can be worse ?
Atheist would EXPLICITLY deny GOD. Outright and infact would go out of their way to say that GOD does not exist. In the Islamic Terminology, this would be a Kafir.

Agnostic is someone that knows that GOD 'could exist' but that the subject is open to 'DEBATE' and that a 'GOD being an important subject DEBATE' really ain't important because

everything is RELATIVE i.e. Religion causes people to die, therefor, God is Evil and Cruel, therefor,what I say is RIGHT and what anything that 'GOD and Religion' say is RELATIVE to a specific TIME and PLACE and this ain't that time or place anymore etc.

In islamic terminology, an Agnostic would be a Mushrik because they debase everything down to their 'RATIO' (if it don't make sense to me, then it must be wrong for afterall, my intelligence COMPREHENDS ALL things-RIGHT! ;) )

Cara.   

Khayr,

An agnostic is someone who says that 1)They personally do not know whether gods exist, and/or 2)It is not possible to know whether gods exists. The two positions have nothing to do with belief per se, but with knowledge. The opposite of agnosticism is someone who is certain that a god does or does not exist, and bases such certainty on knowledge and not belief.

Theism and atheism have to do with belief. The former states a belief in the existence of one or more gods, while the latter states disbelief in one or more gods. A person could be an agnostic atheist at the same time: I don't know whether a god exists or not, but I believe that he/she/it does not exist.

As for which is worse, atheism or agnosticism, I would have to say atheism. Such flagrant denial of god :( At least the agnostic is hedging his/her bets!

Originally posted by Castro:

If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.
[Or Agnostics for that matter]

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Hey, that's my fav. non-muslim theist. I love his debates with foremost Atheist of his time like Bernard Shaw.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Callypso:

Khayr,

A person could be an agnostic atheist at the same time: I don't know whether a god exists or not, but I believe that he/she/it does not exist.

As for which is worse, atheism or agnosticism, I would have to say atheism. Such flagrant denial of god
:(
At least the agnostic is hedging his/her bets!

Village Member,

Is this a 'submission' of confusion because you claim in previous writings that you are an 'Atheist' such a statement like this

atheism. Such flagrant denial of god

sounds like a contradiction in your 'disbeliefs'

ATLAS   

Well using the yardstick of islamic thought which is what i think you are expecting from calypso and me, I would think that both are on the same level the atheist through faith or knowledge beleives theres is no god where as the agnostic says that the use of logic cannot ascertain to him either way, which is to say he does not beilieve through knowldge and cannot through faith.

In the end you can rest assured they are all going to burn in hell.

:D

Cara.   

Originally posted by Khayr:

quote:Originally posted by Callypso:

Khayr,

As for which is worse, atheism or agnosticism, I would have to say atheism. Such flagrant denial of god
At least the agnostic is hedging his/her bets!

Village Member,

Is this a 'submission' of confusion because you claim in previous writings that you are an 'Atheist' such a statement like this

atheism. Such flagrant denial of god

sounds like a contradiction in your 'disbeliefs'

Main Entry: irony

Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -nies

Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler

1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony

2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

Yonis   

Being an agnostic is having a doubtful condition about Allah’s existence and anyone who has that kind of doubt in his heart is a disbeliever. One can be Islam and at the same time claim that the iman/faith did not enter his heart. But trying to find or saying there is insufficient prove whether Allah exists or not will just lead you stray. How can someone say there is no enough prove when everything is cleared in Islam? Saying that might put that person out of Islam.

Atheist: Neanderthals (Theist), fairy tales are for children, 2+2 does not equal five, I can not proof it but there is no God.

Agnostic: As much as I know the implausibility of this all powerful deity, it is impossible to ascertain both the existence or nonexistence of a deity.

Theist: (God, Dios, Allah, Elohim, Buddha, divas, Shiva,Brahman,Waheguru, the Universe, Jesus,Amlak, waaq, the sun, moon...way too many to list here) exists and if you don't believe that you will spend an eternity in-----.

One thing should be cleared up though, most theist think that Agnosticism is a middle ground and that because they are don't know, they put the possibility of Gods existence or nonexistence at 50/50. thats not the case it more likely at 90/10 and that puts them much closer to atheist then theist, it just sounds better at a dinner table full of fanatical believers.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

Atheist: Neanderthals (Theist), fairy tales are for children, 2+2 does not equal five, I can not proof it but there is no God.

Agnostic: As much as I know the implausibility of this all powerful deity, it is impossible to ascertain both the existence or nonexistence of a deity.

Theist: (God, Dios, Allah, Elohim, Buddha, divas, Shiva,Brahman,Waheguru, the Universe, Jesus,Amlak, waaq, the sun, moon...way too many to list here) exists and if you don't believe that you will spend an eternity in-----.

One thing should be cleared up though, most theist think that Agnosticism is a middle ground and that because they are don't know, they put the possibility of Gods existence or nonexistence at 50/50. thats not the case it more likely at 90/10 and that puts them much closer to atheist then theist, it just sounds better at a dinner table full of fanatical believers.

So which one are you and when you coming to dinner to discuss? For surely, you too have your believes and are "fanatical" about them, albeit anti-Religion. ;)