Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Nobel for literature being announced this week

Sophist   

Nobel for literature being announced this week

LAST UPDATE: 10/11/2005 5:36:14 AM

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - The Swedish Academy is announcing the winner of this year's Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday.

Favorites include Americans Philip Roth and Joyce Carol Oates along with Canadian Margaret Atwood and Nuruddin Farah of Somalia.

Many Nobel observers were surprised the honor was not handed out last week. The rest of this year's Nobel Prizes already have been announced.

Originally posted by Abrar:

Do you think he will win?

lets hope so the competition is tuff, but i dont think he is an outsider, lets hope he does win

Sophist   

Caano, how are you old boy?

I have been "busy"; just been overwhelmed by the modern slavery----- working in capatalistic world.

How about you, what have you been up to?

Elysian   

I was surprised when I heard last year the Somali author Nuruddin Farah to be among the candidates for the Nobel Prize. He’s been a candidate for some time now, what I understand. Hopefully he will be awarded one day, however I don’t think this year.

One of the hottest candidates this year is Adonis (Ali Ahmad Said Asbat), a syrian poet, who was recently invited to the biggest Book Fair in Sweden… I wonder if that means something? Never read any of his work, but I got the chance to hear him read some his own poems – impressive.

PS. One of my favourite author at the Book Fair was a Swedish writer who wrote a book with the title (translated) “Bin Ladin in our heartsâ€. It’s about political islam as a reaction and resistance against the colonial dominance. I definately like the provocative title smile.gif

Originally posted by Sophist:

Caano, how are you old boy?

I have been "busy"; just been overwhelmed by the modern slavery----- working in capatalistic world.

How about you, what have you been up to?

i've been well, still trying to optimise modern slavery for a capitalist world, anyhow good to see your keeping your end up ;)

Elysian,

Bin Ladin in our hearts, sounds interesting, i'll keep an eye out for it

thanks

dont sound so glum dude, there is always the next time....

for all we know we might see u're skinny **** up there some time ;)

anyhow, some woman turns out to be Harold Pinter who is described as:

" ... his plays uncovers the precipice under everyday prattle and forces entry into oppression's closed rooms" ... if some one could be kind enough to translate what that means to me i'll appreciate it..

... any how congrats to harry and next time, sophist my man were expecting results ;)

Sophist   

I was actually in the gym when it was annouced and was listening to Surat Kahf. All I saw was a woman and nobel prize winner written on the screen.

Originally posted by Sophist:

I was actually in the gym ....

The gym! lord fordid!

anyhow has anyone found out what

"uncover the precipice under everyday prattle and forces entry into oppression's closed rooms" ...

means yet, i really am curious

NGONGE   

^^^ :D:D

Like poetry hand-written by a doctor that.

Don't let it give you a headache. Here, watch this guy dance:

mr_bean.gif