Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Anti-Addiction Day

Salma   

So, yesterday was the International Day of Anti-Drugs (26 June 2005) And everywhere I go I find a flyer, announcement or a lecture in all the Mass Media’s sections regarding the bad effects of the Drugs in the Society. Also, a month ago it was the International Day of Anti-smoking. These International Days were issued by the United Nation Organization for better world.

“No for Drugsâ€

“Quit Smoking and Start Livingâ€

“Clear your societies from Drugsâ€

“ End the cigarettes before it ends you†And many of these motivating words.

Any sane person will agree that the Drugs are not good stuff. It goes without saying it should be cleared from the world. But, my question here is “Why they made a special Day only for Anti-Drugs and not for all kinds of Addiction?! I mean why they didn’t shade lights on Alcohols too. Even Alcohols destroy the societies and resources.

I was debating with my family & friends, and it was so strange that they all said the same reply “Well, you are totally right that Alcohols are bad too. But, it has less effect on societies than the Drugsâ€. Personally, I can’t see that nomads, I believe that all the intoxicating drinks are causing disasters just like the Drugs. Now let me tell you why they think that Drugs are worse than Alcoholic drinks while I think they are on the same level.

1-Drugs sometimes can’t be avoided; it happened several times that innocent persons were pushed to take drugs without knowing about them. Like taking it from a friend who recommends it for fun/medication or as a tranquilizer especially among those who don’t have previous knowledge about it. While Alcohol staff are ALWAYS related to the person’s choice. Nobody can force anybody to take Alcohol without his/her permission.

My Answer: Well yes, that’s true. Drugs have more victims at the beginning but that doesn’t mean it has less affects later.

Drugs could be available everywhere with anyone. Anybody can be a dealer/distributor which means the victims can find them easily. Not like the Alcohols where only the licensed people can sell them. So the chances for getting drugs are more than Alcohols. (Nomads I live in UAE, so point # 2 is more related to UAE, Arab & Islamic countries only and not the other world, coz selling Alcohol stuff are only restricted to Hotels, there are smugglers for sure, but lets focus on the Hotels for now). Besides, these Licensed Hotels are putting rules for providing liquors. Like for instance, the Underage category are now allowed at all.

My answer: Again true, the Drug’s availability is more.

2- The Drugs Addicted is much worse than the Alcoholic person. Coz, Alcoholic person can control himself sometimes if he couldn’t get his stuff but the Drugs Addicted would fight/attack/murder in some situations. His instability is much worse than the Alcoholic.

My Answer : I strongly disagree, sometimes if its not mostly the Alcoholic Addicted is worse than the Drugs Addicted. Coz the moment he took his stuff he can get his senses back (Well not exactly back, but he becomes calmer). But, the moment the Alcoholic drinks the spirituous liquors he loses his senses and doesn’t feel the surroundings. And the more he drinks the more he becomes worse.

3- To cure and rehabilitate the Drugs’ Addicted people is longer, man-consuming and more expensive than the Alcoholic person. Treating the Drugs Addicted depends on the Drugs itself. You can’t just stop it from them, it should happen gradually and with less doses of these drugs till you make sure that the drugs is leaving their bodies. While you can cut off the Alcohols from the any Alcoholic immediately.

My answer : Right, no argues about that, but Iam still insisting that there are some Alcoholics who takes long time for rehabilitation too.

At the end we only agreed on one thing, that I could be right that the Anti-Drug day should be called “The Anti-Addiction Day†and it should include all kinds of addiction not only the Drugs. Coze, also there are many people who are addicted on some kind of prohibited tranquilizers which should be given only by Doctor’s prescription. And the governments are not taking care of that kind of addiction too.

Besides, it’s only the Governments that issues the Laws and Rules. They support things and prohibit other things according to their interests and concerns. Right now, they are giving their support to the Alcohol in the Mass Media. Its the Mass Media that always give a tempting and attracting look for the Alcohol stuff in their tools like Movies, Songs, intellectual gatherings,,,, etc. A smart businessman holding his Glass of Champagne, or a beautiful woman drinking another kind of it or even a professor who is attending an International Academic Meeting and discussing with his colleagues while liquors are in front of them on the tables. In another hand the Media shows a negative image for the Drugs and its effects. We all saw movies talking about what happened to the Bad Boys when they are caught by the Police, or what happened to the students when they deal with drugs and how do they lose their future and health,,, and many examples.

For me, I believe whether the Governments show nice look for the Alcohols or bad look to the Drugs, that won’t change my mind. Both of them are worse than each others destroying the Humanity

Your ideas please.

P.S: What a coincidence!!, 26/06/2005 which should be remembered with happiness for the independence of Somaliland is the International Day of Anti-Drugs. And my nation is living under the control of the Qaat .

shyhem   

Zulfa

U killed the topic with the whole my nation vs qaat thing.........Frankly speaking some of us do not even recognise the nation you're talking about period

Baluug   

Qaat is a major factor in the destruction of Somalia and is a major contributor in the filth that is the civil(?) war in Somalia,so she made a good point.Qaat is useless,we can live our lives just as well or better without it,just like we don't need drugs or alcohol.Maybe you feel good for a couple of hours,but it goes away after that,and if you paid for it,you ain't gonna see that money ever again.What a waste!!

Salma   

Originally posted by SomericaN:

Zulfa

U killed the topic with the whole my nation vs qaat thing.........Frankly speaking some of us do not even recognise the nation you're talking about period

I what?? ... killed the topic!!!!!! comm'on... get real. Don't tell me the Truth kills the topics.

Anyway, whether you recongnise the UN or not, Iam talking about an issue that concerns every Human. Its about Why when we talk about the word "Addiciton"; people only focus on Drugs and forget about Alcohols, some medicine, herbals or stuff.

The "Anti-Drug Day" should become "The Anti-Addiction Day". All kinds of addition should be included not only Drugs.

That's all