Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

No Logo | No Caano

What can we do as Somalis? Can we formulate new forms of Somali discourse and activisms to fix the problems that we are facing now? Or can we adopt these liberal values as mechanisms for change?

Naomi Klein’s book No Logo shows us the power of corporations and their abilities to corrupt the human psyche. I’m sure many of you have read the book, or seen the DVD, or have read many of the post-consumer academic jargon culture.

Here’s the problem, Klein does not offer solutions to the problems that she talks about in her book. To me, she is a rich liberal who loves living in her mid-19Century Spadina loft in downtown Toronto, and making millions from her books and documentaries with her husband.

We buy from corporations because its cheaper for us, many of the poor in this world depend on corporations to provide them with jobs, and cheap products and third world workers depend on the Nikes, and the Coca Colas of the world, even in Somalia Coke is present there, as I seen Rahima pictures. Again, no logo means no caano.

We know the problems of globalization, the growing gap between the rich and the poor, the clash of tyrants, the threats of modernity and the spread of American cultural imperialism. Recently this has been a phenomenon in the Somali community – many students have taken up the challenge of politically getting involved in the community. However, they have been stagnant in their plight to save the Somali race. Unknowingly they have been indoctrinated in the new movement, the alternative movement. The new culture of activism – the culture that is propagated by likes of Naomi Klein, Kalle Lasn http://www.adbusters.org and many other ‘liberal’ activists.

Here are my questions to you; have you read Klein’s book, no logo, have you watch her doc The Take, did u like it or did u hate it? What are some of the suggestions you would make as a Somali – or as a global citizen of nowhereian. It seems like Klein and Lasn are telling us that by wearing your Footlocker bought che Guevara t-shit, AdBusters bought black spot shoe and political buttons on your bag or academic looking sports coat – that you can save the world?

^In your own little way, you can. That's all one can ask, really.

I read the book in Uni. And yes, I thought it was brilliant. Although, I never went for brands in general, it did make me more vigilant in my purchasing habits.

I'm sorry I cant write anything more in-depth. 'Sunday fatigue'.

What did YOU think of NO LOGO?

I too read No Logo in university - it was a good analysis on globalization and brand power. But Naomi only presents the problem to her readers. She has also acknowledged this in her recent work, The Take saying that many of her audiences wanted to get some suggestions.

FatB   

^^i am not formilar with the book or the auther, however form that i read form ur "discription" i gather that it is talking about the negitive effects of globlisation right?

if so, i believe that globalisation as a greater possitive effect on the world than neggitive. reasons being----- i'll tell u later

Globalization has its positive effects of course - we are able to connect with our counterparts in other parts of the world in an instant second. Technology has extended our abilities to reach out to people. We are able to outsource our labour needs, and get anything we wish for in the world, given that you have the money required. In a way globalization has its positive impact on people in the west who buy cheap raw materials and get even cheaper labour to manufacture goods.

However, there are many negative effects of globalization, and Somalia has not been greatly impacted yet, because there isn’t a government there yet to mitigate the exploitation of the weak and willing. In the future, globalization will greatly affect Somalia - there’s is no doubt about it. However, we haven’t seen the kind of traits that we have seen in Asia – Africa’s globalization consists of exporting natural resources and funding organized revolutions and civil wars to distract the public from what’s truly happening – Prof, could you state the positive aspects of globalization, and if those positives impact the poor.

Baluug   

I've never read the book and I don't even understand what globalizatio is but I do agree with Animal Farm that Corporations such as Nike and Coke are helping 3rd world countries by supplying jobs,even if it's just because it costs a tiny fraction of what it would cost to pay an American or Canadian worker,and that they don't give a sh*t about anything but their bottom line.

lol   

Its not only Nike or Coke. Whether you guys believe it or not but when I was in Pakistan I was shocked to find out that brand names such as Diesel, Guess, Mecca, Gap, Calvin Klein, Armani, Versace etc.. majority of the big names had companies that would produce quality clothes for them in a much much cheaper rate. Let me give u an example. A Diesel jeans would cost u in US about $70-$120, depending on the style, while it is produced in Pakistan for $7. Now u tell me, if that isn't exploitation?

Animal Farm.. I read about her and her book although I haven't read the book itself, yet there are many factors which I am really against when it comes to globilization. To me its just a diplomatic way of letting the rich get richer and the poor poorer. Many of the industrialized countries abuse the poor underdeveloped communities thru their intergrated system of job creation.

As for the Logo part, well, its us actually who are letting the corporations make millions because we have been brain washed with the concept of brandnames and how it supposedly alliviates the status of a person. Even our Diracs have logos whether u believe it or not. Kanebo Dj, Japan, SA, Bin Tamam, Swiss..u name it... and this has been in existence since the beginning of time.

To answer your question: All I can do to stop this nonesense to raise people's interest in pleasing Allah and not worldly things. When I can get the same quality or even better for 1/10th of the deal, and can donate the rest of the money to help the poor and the needy in my country or within my extended family, why give it to gaal who already has deep pockets?