Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

Truth and Reconciliation Commitee For Somalia ( What do u think)

Pacifist   

Brother and sisters this has been pondering in my mind for a very long time. What is the Truth and reconciliation Commission?

The Truth & Reconciliation Commission, or TRC, is the constitutional body set up to investigate alleged atrocities during the apartheid era and where appropriate, grant amnesty to the perpetrators and compensation to the victims.

If the TRC worked for other countries like South Africa, East Timor, and Sierra Lione. Then Why not us. In my opinion we have to have history in a written form or even narrative in public library. So that we never have to deal with what has happened in our nation.

Other nations have gone through what is exactly happening in our country like sierra lione.

This is some of the findings I found while researching this subject.

1)To write a report which publicises the work and findings of the TRC and which contained a set of recommendations of measures aimed to prevent the future violation of human rights.

2)To establish the fate or whereabouts of victims of gross violations of human rights and to assist in restoring their human and civil dignity by giving them an opportunity to testify as to their experiences and by recommending various measures aimed at providing reparation and rehabilitation to victims.

3)To grant amnesty to persons who have committed acts associated with political objectives.

4)To establish as complete a picture as possible of the causes, nature and extent of gross violations of human rights which occurred in the civil war.

Source Truth.org

You see healing our past and talking about it will help our souls to heal. By providing official acknowledgment of past crimes the process helps restore dignity to victims. Sometimes describing the terrible details can bring peace. If we establish a truth commission it offers victims a chance to finally tell what happened to them. The chance to tell one's story and be heard without interruption or skepticism is crucial to so many people, and nowhere more vital than for survivors of trauma. Advocates of truth commissions often point to research on crime victims. In many cases just by being able to tell their story is tremendously therapeutic for victims of violence. Truth commissions can assist in the healing process by the fact that the listener has official status. I think that it would be a very good idea. Since recently we just had a transitional government.

So fellow nomads what do you think of this idea?

Do you think the somali people can live next door to each other without vengeance and hatred afther this happens? Some of Rwandas People did...

Can we move from this era of hatred between tribes and love each other in ALLAHS eyes?

Will there ever be peace between the somali people?

Do you think that the TRC will actually help our people in a therapeutic way?

Do you think this process can actually work?

Sources Trininstitute and gov of SA

Pacifist   

wow am surprised I guess this is the only time am mad nobody cared to reply to this thread and why it is so important to our moving forward.

:(:(

lol@Pacisit

Dont be sister, we all seek Reconcilation and well are probably aware of the many truths that are held by all the different folks of the former Republic.

Lets just see how the powers that bee try to take us foward or backwards as it my transpire

Inshallah we will see a committee develop for us If the Blacks and Whites with of South Africa could do it with all the obsticals the faced, surely its not also beyonds us aswell

Pacifist   

thanks Totti

I agree with you that we are all aware of the truth, but my point is coming from is our children or their childrens need to know of the history and the actual incidents that happened in our country. So that it is not forgotten. We have to learn from our past to progress in the future.

I too think if the Afrikaans and the Safricans can live in peace so can we.

Thanks for your import brother Totti icon_razz.gif

I think there is an over-abundance of information published on hard back or internet covering analysisng and stating opnions on somali history

Just look at the books cited in this individuals site. web page

What is now needed is for ppl to actually move on the ground, and start to act upon all the usefull information unearthed by all these various studies into the somali history and recent conflicts.

Caveman   

Pacifist I respectively disagree….

I was prompted by your second reply to your own thread, it’s the sole reason that I am replying this topic. Cuz, any form Of news clips, editorialized paper or Online like this forum, when the subject of Somalia’s future surfaces, I have noticed Majority of reasonable Somalis tend to ignore, as if all hopes faded away.

I’ll give you one example that would turn the most eagerly Optimist Somali to a harden pessimist,

-At the transitional government, they have divided power at 4.5% along clan lines, which made near perfect government sharing of its people, but with the horror twist of Qabiil politics. And since the 270 parliament and its ministers consist of virtually every warlord in Somalia….why on earth a foreign troops are needed?, who are they to disarm? Virtually every militia has its leader in this government from the bottom up.

What defies logic is, a foreign government has to came in and forcefully disarm a militia that has its leader sitting in the government, clearly there are players in here who are perpetuating more atrocities to came in Somalia. It’s an other layer that makes an average free thinking Somali Question, what have we learned from 15 years of severing. The world is moving faster pace then it ever has, and Somalia is in the hands of feeble-minded thugs, and worst yet they are not even able to disarm themselves, I say lets get ready for an other 15 years.

I believe the TRC might not apply to the Somali way of conflict resolution; TRC could be applied to more classic conflict resolution. Contrary to many other conflicts, the Somali tribal wars are unique and dirty. For an optimist every seemingly single forward step in the Somali conflict, the progress takes 2 steps back, One clan’s mortal enemy chances as fast as its tyrannical warlord finds different and more lethal ways to gain richness. Since, the start of this bloody civil war dozens of clans have became friends, foes and then friends.

TRC might work when the atrocities committed are b/t two tribes like the case of Rwanda(Hutu & Tutsi) or two countries. But in Somalis case where it involves multiple clans and sub-clans, setting up Tribunal for seeking truth in Somalia might Prompt fresh negative energy that does more harm then good. I believe it makes the process more complex and create more resentment then reconciliation. Also, for us it will surely open more wounds for the victim and never protect the accused aggressor, it will only harden the mistrust, and hatred among people.

So instead of the TRC, I would say the “Somali Forgiveness Committee†or SFC, where any two clans that had a direct fighting, sit down each other and ask for forgiveness among their Somali brethrens. Ooops, I hope the SFC abbreviation is not used by a warlord.

Caveman   

Apologies!… my pc went nuts on me, while I was about to reply this thread….Admin help the bro out, and erase those unnecessary duplications

Pacifist   

I really appreciate your response on this particular thread. Exactly that is what I was asking if the trc would work for us.

---I was prompted by your second reply to your own thread, it’s the sole reason that I am replying this topic. Cuz, any form Of news clips, editorialized paper or Online like this forum, when the subject of Somalia’s future surfaces, I have noticed Majority of reasonable Somalis tend to ignore, as if all hopes faded away.

----------------------------------------------

I have noticed that too :( I bet if it was some warlord bashing thread it would def be popular but no harm done..

-------------------------------------At the transitional government, they have divided power at 4.5% along clan lines, which made near perfect government sharing of its people, but with the horror twist of Qabiil politics. And since the 270 parliament and its ministers consist of virtually every warlord in Somalia….why on earth a foreign troops are needed?, who are they to disarm? Virtually every militia has its leader in this government from the bottom up.

What defies logic is, a foreign government has to came in and forcefully disarm a militia that has its leader sitting in the government, clearly there are players in here who are perpetuating more atrocities to came in Somalia. It’s an other layer that makes an average free thinking Somali Question, what have we learned from 15 years of severing. The world is moving faster pace then it ever has, and Somalia is in the hands of feeble-minded thugs, and worst yet they are not even able to disarm themselves, I say lets get ready for an other 15 years.

-------------------------------------------------

somali politics are def dirty and it can definately make you lose hope but we have to struggle and not lose site of the what we can achieve if we really try. Am a dreamer..

I believe the TRC might not apply to the Somali way of conflict resolution; TRC could be applied to more classic conflict resolution. Contrary to many other conflicts, the Somali tribal wars are unique and dirty. For an optimist every seemingly single forward step in the Somali conflict, the progress takes 2 steps back, One clan’s mortal enemy chances as fast as its tyrannical warlord finds different and more lethal ways to gain richness. Since, the start of this bloody civil war dozens of clans have became friends, foes and then friends

this was what I was asking my fellow nomads thanks you I see the other side of this now

-------------------------------------------------TRC might work when the atrocities committed are b/t two tribes like the case of Rwanda(Hutu & Tutsi) or two countries. But in Somalis case where it involves multiple clans and sub-clans, setting up Tribunal for seeking truth in Somalia might Prompt fresh negative energy that does more harm then good. I believe it makes the process more complex and create more resentment then reconciliation. Also, for us it will surely open more wounds for the victim and never protect the accused aggressor, it will only harden the mistrust, and hatred among people.

So instead of the TRC, I would say the “Somali Forgiveness Committee†or SFC, where any two clans that had a direct fighting, sit down each other and ask for forgiveness among their Somali brethrens. Ooops, I hope the SFC abbreviation is not used by a warlord.

------------------------------------------------

that is a good idea but I think if you look it in a way you have a point but i thought it would help in a therapeutic way for them to release feelings but I understand.

So how would we go about forming the SFC?

I took a course with for this sole reason. The conflict resolution, research and resource Institute Inc. It was called the pursuit of promises. The problems was when the Professor gave us the readings. Can you imagine they had every conflict in the world and how it was dealt with. And if it wasn't dealt with or didn't come to a conclusion they said it in the reading. Also it was all up to date even the Kosova conflict. The most dissapointing thing was Somalia wasn't one of the countries. When I ask the instructor He said that Somalia's problem was beyond us. Any ways I urge the instructor to make Somalia the topic of the whole class. We had the warlords, Tng ETC and we were debating on how we can come to negotions with each other. We came to a resolution but what the instructor told me was It would never work in real life because we the somali people were way divided. He is actually doing Negtiations in Darfur crisis at the moment.

I got to run but will respond more to you.

Thanks Caveman and totti

I, for one, firmly believe that without genuine reconciliation, piece in Somalia is not attainable. How could piece ever take hold in a land where properties are criminally occupied? Where farms are illegitimately taken? Where even entire cities and towns are besieged and its habitants expelled?

One can forgive ill-meant deeds that have been done against him/her like the forced expulsion, the savage bililiqo and vandalizing, the indiscriminate killing, the rape and other cruel and inhuman excesses. One shouldn’t, however, forgive the unlawful and continuing take-over of his properties.

An impartial committee that can legitimately address land and property issue is a must for this TFG. It has to be priority one for this government to work. The city of Mogadishu has to be dealt sooner than later as it symbolizes the lawlessness and the chaos that befallen on us. It’s where most properties are illegally taken and illegitimately occupied! Then the regions of Shabbeelooyinka and Jubbooyinka should be next.

As complex an issue as it seems I have to think as Muslims this should be very easy to resolve. I can understand clans fighting for political dominance but I can’t quite comprehend some one living in a home that he doesn’t own! What a shame!