Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Superstitions Urban Legends

Salma   

I believe that superstitions lives only inside the idle minds and they are expanded by people with weak faiths. This is really one of the deep social diseases in our communities. Earlier, I used to think that ONLY those who couldn’t get their share of education and understanding of the Islamic Teachings are sinking in this endless circle called “Superstitions†but unfortunately not only the illiterate people who believe/follow them but also the educated, literate and well-informed Muslims.

So what make Muslims believe in Talisman, amulets, Horse-Shoe, Blue-Eye, Zodiacs, Horoscopes, and such weird superstitions and legends? Of course the only answer is :

To seek all kinds of Good Luck : Fortune, protection, long life, money, properties, success, strength or Romance and Love or to know what the Future is hiding for them.

OR to avoid all kinds of bad luck : Diseases, Loss, Poverty, Envy,,,,, etc .

Although we know very well that only Almighty Allah (SWT) is the fortune giver, who controls our fates and destinies and he is the only One whom we suppose to rely on and ask him the protection, fortune and good living. But sadly there are many superstitions and legends invading the Muslims’ minds and the Islamic Communities, and guess what??!! Most of these superstitions have Christian /pagan backgrounds, just to mention some of them here :-

1-Skip No. 13 (Unlucky Number, some hotels, airplanes, hospitals in the west don’t add number 13 to their listing for the seats, rooms or tables,,,, etc). Iam not sure about this, but I guess it’s a Christian Belief related to Prophet Jesus (PBUH) and his last supper with his companions. Either its was Friday the 13th or their total number was 13 (Pardon me if Iam wrong). The sad thing is that some Muslims followed this tradition and avoid Number 13.

2- Some believes that seeing a Black Cat would spoil their day (People, bellah caleekom How could an innocent small and lovely creature like the cat can cause harm to you???!!!! It’s another Christian superstition, just coz they’d believed that the Black Cats used to be tools for the Witches in the Dark Ages and they are haunted with bad spirits that’s why they live 9 lives. Again followed by many Muslims who avoid the Black Cats and get pessimistic when they see them.

3- Some people wear the Blue Eye for protection and hang the Horse Shoe on their doors for protection and fortune. That’s ridiculous, What really bring the happiness, fortune and luck is the “Theker†the daily sayings of our Prophet Muhammad (SAAW).

4- Saying some weird phrases like: “Touch the Wood†“Rabbit†or “Crossing Fingers†will never bring fortune. On the contrary such things considered “Shirk†and shouldn’t be used at all. Specially “Touch the Woodâ€, earlier Christians used to hang/put Crosses made of wood. So in case they face any danger or envy they used to touch the wood Cross.

5- Would you believe that even the Bride’s White Dress, The Engagement and Marriage Rings in specific Fingers were based on superstitions in first place.

6- Don't walk under Ladder

Now I gotta admit that not all the superstitions have Christian origins. There are some weird things in our Somali Superstitions. So I will mention some of them and believe me or not, till now there are educated Somali people who deal with them:-

1- Break one Egg in front of the new house/villa's doorstep for the good luck. (What One Egg can do?!)

2- Infants/children wake up usually crying and that’s is done by the Devil, so to protect the child from the Devil’s Disturbance they used to put a knife under the child’s pillow. (Now, how about reading the protections verses in the Quraan for the child before he sleeps, isn’t better?)

3- To get luck and marry soon just pinch the Bride’s knee when you go to any wedding. (Which makes me wonder, why the Knee why not the Cheeks, probably that would spoil the bride’s make up LOL)

4- Don’t cross a lady’s legs if she is laying them on the floor, otherwise she won’t have Boys in future. (Bad Luck)

5- Don’t look at your self in the mirror at night. (Bad Luck, not good, the bad spirits will stole your soul)

6- Don’t comb your hair at night. (Bad Luck).

7- Don’t put your hands above your head (Bad Luck, that will end your life)

8- If there is any shoe turned around in a wrong position then correct the position quickly, otherwise, if you ignored it or kept it as it is; that would bring disasters and bad luck to your house. (Bad Luck)

9- Visiting the saints/sages and good people’s graves asking for protection, fortunes of personal requests. (Ask yourself wise and realistic questions: What the dead people can do for you?!! Where is their Creator? Why not begging him? Isn’t he much nearer better and stronger than them? Sure he is; but people are so lost to find the truth.

10- If you were scared by someone then you must spit on the floor just to make sure that you were not hurt or whatever it is.

And much more, very long and silly list.

Defiantly, the superstitions varies from a culture to another. But, whether Muslims believe in the same superstitions or have different ones in their cultures. We should check every single tradition before practicing or following it. If they are against our Islamic Teachings then we must forget about them. Don’t ever deal with it, even if your parents/elders or relatives forced you to do it. And don’t even practice such superstitions even if you don’t believe them. Coz some folks say that they know that superstitions are “Haram†but still they do them for fun. Or because it’s a Caado “Tradition†and it shouldn’t be broken under any circumstances. Well, I believe that what shouldn’t be broken is the Islamic Teachings not the Caados.

It would be great if we all check our talks, actions and beliefs and filter them. If everyone of us tried the best they can to clear his/her mind from superstitions and fake traditions, Iam sure our Communities will be clean, rational & strong Inshallah. There are many Dua'as to say daily and occasionally by our Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) for protection,success, happiness,if you learn and use them always; you won't need any talisman or superstitions or any fake folktales to believe or any weird phrases to say. Below is the Daily Dua'a for the Muslims.

Daily Prayers and Supplications

Daily Dua'a

You may think that this topic should be in the Islam Section, trut but again its sad that some of our folks believe that any culture in the world contrains superstitions and folktales and its not recommened to stop practicing our culture.

1- Do you believe in any western/Somali Superstition?

2- Does it affect your life?

3- Have you tried to quit practicing it?

4- Would you still follow a superstition/fake tradition even if you knew its forbidden in Islam just for fun or to please your people?

5- Are the Somali superstitions part of our Somali culture and whether they are against Islam or not, we don't have to break/abandon them?

6- Will you tell us what other superstitions you know/heard in our Somali Culture?

I would love to read your comments .

Salam

Mooge   

Some believes that seeing a Black Cat would spoil their day

this is weird things. i saw a black cat 2 days ago and I had a great time. at that time i was dining with brother of Kenya's foreign minister and amina's whole family. it was such an honor. figure that out. black cat failed.