Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

SCC Annual Conference at Oxford House

Sophist   

On Saturday Constitutional Affairs Minister David Lammy told members of the Somali Community that the conference they had organised in Bethnal Green was an important step in their journey from a largely marginalised, invisible group to active participation as local Councillors, magistrates, businesspeople, and ultimately as Members of Parliament. Somalis had lived in the UK since the mid-nineteenth century, and many were settled and successful as individuals. But this was about the community pulling together and making their mark collectively.

Referring to his own experience, David Lammy was proud that the Labour Party had taken the issue of Black representation seriously. He said, “As a Black immigrant, my mother was strip searched on arrival in the UK. I grew up in Britain and in my early 30s I am a Government Minister.â€

Even so, on a recent visit to Feltham Young Offenders’ Institute David Lammy had noticed that many of the inmates were from “our†areas. He said, “Far too many young Black people in Britain become disaffected and underachieve at school. We need to identify the reasons and address the problems, not sweep them under the carpet.†David Lammy added, “As the MP for Tottenham I try to represent all my constituents. However, as a Minister I bring to the Government table my background, the marginalisation, the tensions and the poverty within the Black and immigrant communities.†David Lammy told the conference, “Somalis must come together and make their voices heard. The future is in your hands, and you must face it with conviction and determination.â€

These sentiments were echoed by the local Member of Parliament, Oona King. In welcoming the conference to her constituency, she highlighted some of the problems that immigrants coming from war-torn Somalia had had to face on arrival. She had worked to improve inadequate housing conditions and reduce overcrowding, also provide better Social Services and support for struggling families. She was particularly aware of the pivotal role played by Somali women, who often struggled to bring up families on their own, following the death or separation from their husbands. Such women needed educational opportunities, and they would also pass on their knowledge to their children.

Inspired by David Lammy’s speech, Claude Moraes MEP commented that the position of Black people in the UK had moved on to such an extent that it was credible to think of him as a potential Prime Minister. However, the situation was less positive elsewhere, and he would be travelling to Amsterdam later in the day to address the worrying state of race relations in Rotterdam and other cities in the Netherlands.

Somali Community Conference

Claude Moraes also cited housing and education as the main issues of concern for Somalis in the UK and in other European states. He felt that, because of their recent experiences, they brought something special to the employment market. Any potential employer who discriminated against them would miss out on their talent and strength or character. He felt that the Somali community was at a pivotal stage in Europe, even though he recognised the tensions between the generations, and the fact that Somalis were wrongly perceived as newcomers. The European Union could provide important financial and other support, designed to help particular communities. Somalis must learn from the past experiences of other ethnic groups, and work together to fulfil their enormous talent and potential.

BBC reporter Amina Ali claimed that the mainstream media were dominated by middle-aged white men. Somalis needed to have pride in their achievements and potential. They should participate and lobby all sections of the media to promote a positive image of themselves.

Jeremy Corbyn MP, who had organised the series of meetings at the House of Commons that had culminated in the conference, hoped that those who had attended would feel inspired to take further action. They needed to register to vote, to join political parties, to participate as school governors, magistrates, and as local Councillors. The next House of Commons meeting on 14th December would take stock, focusing on practical measures to organise in political structures and the media, to lobby Government, and to support particular groups such as women and young people.

Nuradin Dirie, Chair of the Co-ordinating Committee and conference organiser, commented, “The conference provided a great opportunity to hear one another’s experiences and the positive steps we could take to improve the situation of the Somali community. There was anger and passion but above all there was a determination to work together to take things forward. The speakers were inspirational – challenging all of us to take on the task of ensuring that we are at the heart of the democratic process here in Britain.â€

Somali Community Conference, “Participating in Democracyâ€, Saturday 20th November, Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, London, E.2.

Jeremy Corbyn MP: 020 7226 5775

Background: Somali Coordinating Committee (SCC)

The Somali Community in Britain come together with the help of Jeremy Corbyn MP, Member of the Parliament for Islington North, to discuss the issues and the challenges the Community faces and how best overcome such challenges. A long process of discussion started with a clean sheet of paper airing out all the issues. It was in this open and participatory discussion that lots of issues were brought out in the debate. The key issues ranging from jobs, immigration, health, education and women’s issues where discussed in detail during these proceedings.

It became apparent that these issues needed more attention and closer analysis. It was collectively decided to set up working groups to study the issues in depth and come up with recommendations. As a consequence, 13 policy working groups were set up. Volunteers from the community and interested community groups joined this process of policy development on an open for all basis. Community members have participated fully in the process.

Detailed policy papers were produced and central to all community issues were the lack of community participation. It became clear that the community lacked voice and were disengaged from participating in both local and national democracies and decision-making processes. In addition the community were not properly resourced by statutory bodies. It was decided to set up an umbrella organisation that fills the gap and gives voice to the community. Coordinators from the 13 policy working groups were brought together to set up the Somali Coordinating Committee and a Chair, Vice Chair and a Secretary was elected. In addition the following aims and objectives were adopted;

To support and cooperate with Somali community groups in putting the community’s voice forward.

To contribute to policy making by responding to consultations and legislative proposals relevant to the community.

To disseminate widely policy and legislative development effecting the community.

To build the Somali Coordinating Committee in to a formal body that carries the work forward.

To participate in and utilise existing opportunities for promoting the community issues in local and national forums.

To draw together and promote the work of the policy working groups.

To ensure that effective communication exists between the Coordinating Committee and the policy working groups.

The organisation is currently managed by the Coordinating Committee meetings with overall approval sought in the general bi-monthly meetings of the Somali community. Work is underway to draw a longer-term management structure and the incorporation of the organisation.

To highlight the community issues as presented in the 13 policy papers the Community decided to convene a conference in London which aims to:

draw attention to the Somali community and their positive contributions to Britain

launch the Somali Coordinating Committee as a strong voice for the community

build awareness about how best the community can engage with and participate in local and national democracies in Britain.

present the community issues and concerns and to take the policy work and reports forward to achieve results.

Blessed   

Salaams

I felt that I've missed out for my lateness, but this makes up for it. It was a good conference, full of hope. Made me wonder why I stoped going.

As for politocal involvement, it's positove to a certain degree. It only really works if you have the right person in post. Take David Lammy, he does more for Black Vote etc then the people living in his constituency.. Whats the point then?

Anyway, Mahadsanid smile.gif