Sign in to follow this  
safi

A Somali child speaks...let's listen to him

safi   

In the Name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful

Introduction:

It’s Monday, August 23, 2004. A new day has dawned for my people today. Through the efforts of the world community and through the efforts of many good Somalis, a Somali parliament has been sworn in today in the capital of Kenya, Nairobi. The plan is to appoint a president, inshaAllah, within the coming two weeks. Our people have suffered under the yoke of anarchy for full fourteen years. Our people are scattered in the four corners of the world, those who could not make it to a foreign soil to escape the wars and poverty that followed are for the most part suffering from lack of development. The child who was ten years when the civil strife broke out 1990 is today twenty fours old. I pray to Allah for He alone is the Supreme Commander, to make this day the beginning of a new era for our nation. I do not really care who becomes president as long as justice is served and the chosen leader is repentant and is willing to serve God and his nation. I so wish for my land to become attractive once again for all the peoples of Somalia to return and take part in the rebuilding of their nation. Ameen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now let's listen to this:

I am a Somali child

I am the tomorrow of my nation

Who becomes leader is no concern

of mine, I beseech Allah to guide

And pray for Islam to take root

For without His Help

My people never will mend.

I am only a child

All I need is education

A shade over my head

A glass of water

And a morsel of food.

I have plenty of room for hope

I wish to grow in wisdom

I long to carry books

I wish to watch sunset

I want to watch birds

As I graze my herds.

Copyright Safi Abdi August 23, 2004

http://www.authorsden.com/safiabdi

I think that child needs to cherish a government better than the one they (the criminals) formed in Kenya. It will only add more problems, because a wrong method will never produce good results.

safi   

Alle-ubahane, salamu alaikum,

Your point is well taken, but where are the good guys when we need them? And for how long would you have this child to wait for the good guys to show up and relieve him of his pain?

The way I see it, the best solution for us right now, and we don't seem to have many options, is to accept whatever results come out of this conference in good faith and let things sort themselves out. As we very well know the problem isn't just these guys. Each and everyone is supported by his tribe. That means we are all in it, whether we like it or not. The best we can do for this child is for all of us to return to Allah, repent of whatever sins we are guilty of with sincerity of heart and goodwill, and return home. Allah doesn't change the condition of people until they change what is within themselves, that's a paraphrased verse from the Holy Qur'an. In other words, a good government won’t fall from the skies. If we want things to happen we need to put in some effort, and if we are honest and sincere, Allah subhanahu wa talla will change our condition. Let’s just say these “guys†are the fruits of our own actions. If we (the Somali public) change for the better, they too will change.

Needless to say, it is in the interest of every Somali who has feelings for their people to want to see a working government in their land. The international community is supportive of it, and we should jump at the chance without letting cynicism and emotions getting in the way.

Wabillahi tawfiq

Safi

posted by safi

Needless to say, it is in the interest of every Somali who has feelings for their people to want to see a working government in their land. The international community is supportive of it, and we should jump at the chance without letting cynicism and emotions getting in the way.

THAT IN A NUTSHELL IS ALL THAT HAS TA BE SAID.....jazaaka llaah brother safi. Something is gotta give walaalayaal...anything is betta than wat we hav right now anything .....

asxantu

Warmoog   

Originally posted by safi:

Let’s just say these “guys†are the fruits of our own actions. If we (the Somali public) change for the better, they too will change.

How true. I’ve often wondered whether our people ever contemplate and ask themselves exactly what they’ve learned from our recent history. What has always troubled me is how a large majority of Somali people seem to enjoy assuming the role of “victimsâ€, while simultaneously appearing completely unwilling to take a serious look at themselves.

When it comes to the ghost that now occupies the space of our nation, I think we need to determine what role we’ve played in the ruin and whether it’s a responsibility we’re willing to shoulder (and hopefully rectify) or one that belongs solely to warlords and the other individuals we love to hate. The sad reality is that the opportunists of Somali polity cannot be blamed for introducing some malicious, self-destructive concept which can be used to justify our failures as a nation. Such people simply exploit what’s already there in society, so our failures as a nation could be indicative of our greater failure as a people.

Understandably, there's still a great deal of pessimism (about 14 layers of it) coating whatever glimmer of hope we might have hidden within the confines of our hearts, but there’s no better time than the present to sincerely turn things around… starting with oneself, of course.

Thanks for the cheery reminder sister.

(Being optimistic during these trying times is a challenge in itself.)

safiabdi   

SHOOBARO wrote: ...anything is betta than wat we hav right now anything .....

Yasmine wrote:

Understandably, there's still a great deal of pessimism (about 14 layers of it) coating whatever glimmer of hope we might have hidden within the confines of our hearts, but there’s no better time than the present to sincerely turn things around… starting with oneself, of course.

That's the spirit, guys: The key phrase is: Let it begin with “meâ€. Healthy individuals produce a healthy society. As is very evident from the way we think and the way we interact with each other, and others, it does seem as though our society has lost the real meaning of what it really means to be Muslim. We do have the blueprint, we do love our faith, but the good question we all should be asking is: What is it that I am doing wrong?

Our country is in a mess. Our people are suffering from everything under the sun: drought, poverty, Qaat (drugs), lawlessness, corruption, lack of direction, loss of dignity, oppression, tribalism, hatred, cynicism, ignorance, violation of women's/children’s rights, you name it, and the list of evils could go on. It’s as though our land has become a hot bed of evils and our people are the carriers of these evils (irrespective of where they go), and we are here sitting on our hands and unable to do a thing.

It’s sad to admit, but the only people who seem to be engaged in any sort of “activity†are the warlords themselves. The rest of us are either lame ducks, or are lined up behind one or other of these active “kinsmenâ€. We’ve given these guys the green light to rule over us or do whatever they choose to us, and this, and I say it again with a heavy heart, has convinced the international community that “they†and “they†alone are able to break the stalemate or effect any changes. And we can't blame them for thinking that way.

My intention isn’t to gloss over anyone’s misdeeds but the way I see it, and I am not alone in thinking this way, the time has come for us (the masses) to rise up and be proactive. Our warlords aren’t an island unto themselves. The key to their survival and demise is in our own hands.

The Messenger of Allah said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Messenger of Allah! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

Believers are but "one" body, said our beloved prophet, and it goes without saying (and we’ve learned our lesson the hard way), that "body" never will get well if we don't get our act together.

We have the Word of Allah and we have the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet. So we know where to go for help and assistance. Allah subhanuhu wataala is counting on us. He has given us the blueprint. All it needs is for us to look deep within us; whether this latest conference succeeds or not is altogether beside the point.

Personal accountability is the key. Let’s for a moment forget about what others have done to us. There isn’t a Somali who isn’t holding grudges, and you all know what our Prophet said about people who hold grudges longer than 3 days. Every Thursday and Monday, Islam teaches us, the books of believers are opened and every believer is forgiven...except for the ones who hold grudges against each other. My friends, that should make us worried. Our people have been holding grudges for 14 long years. Some even much longer.

stalemate

Wa billahi tawfiiq

Safi