Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Standards ethics of discussion

I disagree. I think it has less to do with the vocabulary and more with sentence structure. SW just seems to cram as many words as possible in each and every sentence... however, I do admire both their writing skills... continue as you are (not that u need ma permission but dont we al just love an ego boost ;) ) gentlemen.

And *****&%^$ *** .. this is ma 600 post! Thought I'd never reach there thanks to Admin wiping out all ma posts! :D

A$$ All

I second Athena.

Now, do we dare ask these gents to write in the mother tongue as rich as they do in Anglais?

...may be I'm wrong.

postman   

"Often times matters of interest, worthy of ripe dialogue demanding mature engagement clearly with concrete, primary objectives of reaching congruous climax of which benefactors are none other than participating members along with supporting rationale achieved in the end which immensely matters, are raised."

I’m normally not the type of person who picks on others and how they write but I think your prose has too many adjectives and not enough transition. And this gives it an overall effect of changing gears without a clutch.

I suggest you set a norm of simple sentences--subject, verb and object--and use other grammatical forms and more complex constructions to produce calculated effect, don't just aim for variety.

All the best

Geeljire – how about this mate?

“Aalaaba shu’un maanka xiisa gelisa, mudan munaaqasho fac weyn lehna dalabkeeda, bu’da iyo nuxurkeeduna yahay hanasho kulmiso manfac u leh ardaaga iyo xertiisa, si kama dambaysta turxaan bixin afkaareed loo dhaxlo, ayaa laysla soo qaadaa”

Sophist – what happened to the rest of that verse?

Postman – pleasure mate. Technical prose in my line of business is associated with substance; thusly very little attention is paid to the simplistic style of writing for various reasons (discussion is beyond the scope herein, hence shan't bore you with it).

Now, do you notice anything difference in the following lines when in Somali as opposed to the referenced in English?

“Aalaaba shu’un maanka xiisa gelisa, mudan munaaqasho fac weyn lehna dalabkeeda, bu’da iyo nuxurkeeduna yahay hanasho kulmiso manfac u leh ardaaga iyo xertiisa, si kama dambaysta turxaan bixin afkaareed loo dhaxlo, ayaa laysla soo qaadaa”

Cheers.

postman   

Samurai Warrior

I can’t claim to know what your line of business —or should I say work– demands, but I think it is rather demeaning to assume that I was asking for a simplistic style of writing. I should also remind you, I was not making a judgment based on an empirical critique of your style of writing, simply because I'm not familair with how you write. My previous post was exclusively based on the clause that I have quoted. And in my opinion is, that clause, no matter what style your line of business requires, is quite rigid and taxing on the eyes.

I have read far more lyrical proses and I have been quite at ease with them. I don’t believe it is necessary to undermine fluidity for the sake of substance. Because what is substance if it is not comprehensible. At the end of the day, writing is a reflection of ones thoughts and you are at liberty to write as you wish.

But please do understand, my aim was not, and is not, to condemn your style of writing; on the contrary, my intention was simply to bring to your attention the rigidity and lack of flexibility — after all you, write and we, the read.

Peace

Postman - to the contrary old chap, your critique was received rather well as noted in the opening line of the post I congenially scripted as in “pleasure mate”.

Rigid, taxing, lacking flexibility –dear bruv are all subjective and opinions one quite rightly could behold. Relinquishing or depriving you of your right to critique, that I am not. Certain I am however, Ms Maggie, my O’level English teacher, would have subjected your point to a protracted dialogue, but would have contested your clause-related query finding no ill in the adopted penship herein, and with respect to the question of comprehensibility. Receptive I too am on similar terms to thou point in the most genial fashion.

Simplicity in writing was raised to lend support, add value to the adaptation of the preferred academic, technical style over the widely in use tabloid mode, and to mock or deride your critique NOT my fellow countryman.

You wrote “ I suggest you set a norm of simple sentences--subject, verb and object--and use other grammatical forms and more complex constructions to produce calculated effect, don't just aim for variety

In Montessori perhaps, or in undergraduate where one masters the art of crossing one’s Js and Rs in stride, but not in academia where scholastic, ingenious styles are highly encouraged, thusly subject, verb and object matter not in such instances with substance and material of value demanded.

Nonetheless, chill old chap, write as you will, with élan and panache should such is desired, and perceive diversity, ingenuity of various genres in all as you trot along.

Best of luck,

Cheers.

postman   

You see that is what I'm talking about. Your last post was lyrical and smooth.

Honestly, how can I learn to master a style like that? I'm a law and political science major, so prose and literary style was never that important in my line 'business'.

By the way, we have not been introduced, what is it that you do?

Well done.

NGONGE   

Heh. How ironic that a thread which attempted to draw people’s attention to the problems caused by personal attacks and digression should end up as just that!

I am going to slow down soon, I’m going to slow down soon, I’m going to slow down soon! It’s just the novelty of being here, the novelty of being here, the novelty of being here....* sigh*

Sophist   

What a congenial male muscle flexing bravado this has been smile.gif

Samurai, with sheepish admitance, I am at you mercy. My ability to recognise the above mentioned verse is something I am deprived off today—perhaps due to excessive reading of tortious liability (something Postman would be very familiar with). So do penn down the rest of the limerick.

addressed to the warrier you have watched too many Tom Cruis movies.loooooooooooooool

:confused: ok. you know what they call people like you. show offs. i mean come on. we go to school we come here as somalis so we can get away from writing big easays with too many big words. but i was wondering if you graduated from American Schools, and whether or not you have taken the SAT cause if you did than, i bet you would probably be the highest and smartest somali guy.

don't in anyway misunderstand my intentions of writing this. i am a big fan of readind, and that is like my biggest hobby, but yet i still don't show off with. you know the funny thing is though, as i was writing this post i actually reread my writing so that i don't look like a dummy. but in all goods, we need more somali people like you. but never forget that this is now your language and no matter how much you master it. It will not make many difference in the long run.

P.S: i really don't know when this was writing because, well honeslty i have never visited this page before, if you know what i mean. ;)

addressed to the warrier you have watched too many Tom Cruis movies.loooooooooooooool

:confused: ok. you know what they call people like you. show offs. i mean come on. we go to school we come here as somalis so we can get away from writing big easays with too many big words. but i was wondering if you graduated from American Schools, and whether or not you have taken the SAT cause if you did than, i bet you would probably be the highest and smartest somali guy.

don't in anyway misunderstand my intentions of writing this. i am a big fan of readind, and that is like my biggest hobby, but yet i still don't show off with. you know the funny thing is though, as i was writing this post i actually reread my writing so that i don't look like a dummy. but in all goods, we need more somali people like you. but never forget that this is now your language and no matter how much you master it. It will not make many difference in the long run.

P.S: i really don't know when this was writing because, well honeslty i have never visited this page before, if you know what i mean. ;)

Somali-girl – ooooohjjjj, easy lassy - that was one ‘ell of a below the belt uppercut mi Lady - come on, do not you reckon I am a tad bit too mellow for “showing off” as you put.

Tom who?

Schooling mi Lady was the courtesy of Her Majesty.

And welcome to our humble lair, mi Lady – mind the gap though you might get devoured if not stomp circumspectly with a bit of agility and cagily slant.

Cheers.

oh my god,

:eek: dude we don't live in the 17th centenury any more. so you need to stop talkin' like that. honestly do you talk like that when you are out. or is this the way you talk on the net so that you could look intelligent. i think that you use the dictionary when you are writing.

in all anybody that read your writing would fall asleep.

so in all get a life :D:D:D