Sign in to follow this  
Miskin

HIJAB. Obligation, Oppression or Choice.

Blessed   

^^^^^Subxan Allah^^^ :rolleyes:

I disagree with you. Hijab is obligatory as Allah uses the word 'Qul' - Tell - that is a command - not a suggestion. Also, in another Ayah in Sura Al- Nur the command is more direct. I find it interesting that you failed to quote that Ayah .. well here it is... and tell me if it is still a suggestion?

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do. (An-Nur 24:30)

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent , and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their women, or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. (An-Nur 24:31)

And there is also the Hadith, where the Prophet (saw) told Asmaa (ra) how she shoukd cover up!

"Ayesha ® reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr ® came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

So where do the Saudi university students of the 70's come into all this? How do you explain th fact that Muslim women have been wearing the hijab for 100s of years before these Saudi students designed the hijaab?

I do agree with you on the issue of the design of the hijab, there is no hadith / ayah saying that it should be a certain way. The authentic Islamic sources only indicate how much of the body that needs to be covered by the man and the woman.

As for the hijaab not being a political symbol. I’d have to disagree. Upholding Islamic principles whether political, social or otherwise is a spiritual effort. We fall into this system of categorising things into structures. I was always under the impression that Islam is a political ideology as well as a spiritual – it dictates every single aspect of human life. This banning of hijab runs deeper than a mere ban on what Muslim girls wear. After all, we don’t wear the hijab just because..or do we? Isn’t it about being recognised as Muslims – and representing the religion and hence upholding every single aspect of Islam – political or not?

salam calaykoom

doesnt take a genius we all agree that hijab is an obligation, and then u have the individuals choice to wear it or not. in this case am proud and greateful to hear my sisters and encourage them to wear it, saddly some of us here namely sister opinionated thinks that wearin hijab is a political form therefore a hijab wearin sis imposes her beliefs on non-muslims, thats the argument of the french government,irrational that may be... as if some bleu hair kid would impose his fashion attire on others. ladies and gents its simple we live in a world where mass media and public relations dominate... and u have 2 types of individuals 1 the subjective"intellectually deceived,misled" sees things as perceived and has lil critical observation and swallows whats being fed to em lacks art of evaluating and analizing. and then u have the what i call non-controled one as my nick here suggest "thought control" where am in defiance and refute to have my thoughts controled by mass media and its allies "government" selling us this fake and depraved pluralism in conjunction with freedom illusional that is.

may allah guide us and am glad we have strong sisters amiin ilahayow no daa

opinionated..quoting madona is deceiving lol

la fidele in the event that u speak french sis alors je te salut et fier de toi.

"Hipocrisy is the only evil that walks invisible except to ALLAH alone"

Religion isn't in the way we talk, it's in the way we walk. Preaching makes things worse; I think...Im the last to preach and the last to listen to preachers. Regarding the hijab, I dont want to argue about it but I do hate it when people make it seem as if ladies who dont cover their heads are sinners and a disgrace to society. I really think a lot of them cover their heads because it's a tradition more than religion. My personal view: what is in your heart is what's more important to God than the way you dress.

For those who know a lot about Islam, I have a question and its because I need someone to shed some light on this:

Is the "hijab" mentioned somewhere in the Quraan insinuating that the hijab means covering our head the way women do today? I know it's mentioned in the Quraan but in that context? pls enlighten me.

Hijab as worn by women today started as a traditional thing with the Arabs and it was before Islam ...it started back in the days of the Jews and Christians...most likely even before the jews...

From my understanding, the basic rules for our Islamic dress code is to be modest, cover our chest, and wear lengthy clothings. In a word, be conservative!

BN   

Salaam,

First, I think it is important to stress the principle or concept behind the Hijab; it is a symbol and reflection of ones' modesty in both dress and behavior. Sadly, here in the West, there are many sister who do in fact wear the hijab--yet they also go on dates and dress inappropriately. That, in my view, contradicts the purpose and rationale behind wearing the hijab.

Also, in most of the Arabic/English versions of surrah An-Nur(24.31) that I have read, the word 'Juyubihinna' is translated simply as 'Chest'. Although, I have read some web-sites which translate it as 'their bodies, faces, necks, and bosoms, etc.'.

Wasalaamu Alaykum

An-Nur Arabic/English

salam

sis athena care to explain why ur the last one to listen to what u call "preachers" we all have a way of understanding things also happens that at times we wrong and better hear others...oh by the way islam is a way of life and if hijab is a cultural thing....that same culture derives from islam.basicaly islam is our culture. and talkin islam or preachin is the duty of the muslim allah told us to remind ur bros and sis to fallow the right path i dont see anything wrong with that.

"hypocrisy is the only evil that walks invisible except to allah alone"

^^ By preachers I meant the 'ama i maqal ama ha imaqlin' crowd..those who endlessly talk the talk but dont walk the walk. I feel honoured to listen to really learned people who give their advice to those who want it and go to them - in specified locations - talks, masjid, home, schools, etc. Its the 'free' talkers I dont bother with.

hello.

As i bealive Allah said we woman should cover ourself and the only part of our body thats we should be showing is our face and our finger if aim not wrong and the kind scarf we should wear is hijab the long one that most people hate in united states but hey i should put it these way fear Allah than to fear who will jurge you for what you wearing and one thing about my self and i know that for fact is aim not that educated when it comes to religion but inshalah i will sooner. so thats ma point so gurl we got alot of stuff to deal with but i think we can do it.