Sign in to follow this  
A7LA-SHU

Guests and Khala: Questions about the Somali Culture

bilan   

but grew up with my mom's family where if a guy nocks the door u ask who they lookin for before u open the door, and after tellin u who they lookin for u get that person or say that person isn't home without seein ur face. and i have been like dat even since 9 yrs old.. so i can't just change like dat. and my dad thinks sometimes we are rude to his ppl lol.

[/QB]

as a somali i think it is rude too, if someone comes to my home looking for my brothers or father, as a somali i required to open the door, let them have a seat, give them tea if it is evening etc, ask them about their health and then they leave after 5-10 minutes, that is proper way to welcome your guests in somali culture, and if they are your father's relatives they did not come to see only your father but the kids too, so i would advise you to sit down with them for a while and then excuse yourself and do whatever you want to do. i understand there is a huge difference between arab culture and somali culture especially about women,most somali men have no problem if their daughters or wives sit with their friends while arabs will prefer if their wives had no contact with male friends.in my opinion our culture is easy and simple, i mean again in my opinion it is much simpler and better in many ways than middle eastern one.

Juxa   

magnoona, maasha allah sis,,,,,,good Qs

there is this saying,,,,,,,,guri furan lama galee waji furan aa la galaa! :D it means people are coming to see you and not the house, so basically you have to welcome your family and show them happy face.

secondly u got to understand this, it is not compulsory for girls to sit with men guests,,,,just say salaam and leave,,,,even back home girls did not sit with raga,,,,it is ceeb. however boys can,,,,just as we women can sit with the lady guests.

so i hope that answers your question and u show u got respect and love for your father's somali relatives,,,just wlc them and show them in,,,if u close the door in their face cause your dad is not in,,,,that will hurt their feelings,,,,after all they only came out of love for u and yr family

salaaam