Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Social Debate: My observations on the character of the Somali individual

I have been asking myself this questions for such along time now and I still cant put my finger on the answer. Why is it that Most of our brothers/sisters tend to be FOLLOWERS other than leaders in this world? Even the ones who ever get to that middle position tend to cut off from those who are still struggling? Why is it that we have turned out to be so hypocritical in perspective and understanding? Why can’t we get along? Why is it that our worst enemies are the same Somalis who smile at you and have a dagger with the other hand? How come we drop all our ideals, culture and embrace cultures that are themselves lost and trying to reinvent themselves. Why is it that we pretend to be true Islamic believers and as soon as one steps out of the Mosque change into a horrible person?

All these questions have been killing me and I truly need some understanding of our people. Are we so lost that we cant see what is right or wrong? Do we still have a conscience knowing that out there are a people who are dying everyday and a group of people who are working for the extinction of our race?

How do you walk this earth knowing that you don’t give a damn about anything but you as an individual and are never looking to ever go back to your homeland?

[ September 02, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

LuCkY   

Shaqsii nice topic.

I have at times asked myseLf the same questions...so i dont know the answers to those questions but i think one major reason wouLd be due to the Lack of a strong iimaan-otherwise how do you expLain it? :confused:

Mujahida   

Shaqsi...Those are strong Questions.

I don't know how to answer it.

Everything is visible to ALLAH. That I know.

One Question for you Shaqsii

Why do you think it's so important to return to our Home Land? To be very honest I don't see one reason why I should go there....to be Accurate i don't see one benefit either.

FiAmanaAllah

Modesty   

Shaqsii I think ignorance is bliss. The less you know about the truth the less you'll suffer. Its not that we don't care, we care, its that we don't have the power to do anything about it. I would want world hunger to end,wars to end, but will that ever happen: Allah knows. Why do we do bad when we step out of the masajid, the answer I can give is that we get absorbed into this duniya. We believe that we're almost immortal especially when we're young, we become intriqued with life, and then comes greed,then hate, then jealousy, then killing. I ask these questions and I'm sure the people around me have questions like that,but its useless to talk about it. The answers are clear, but the solution is hidden.I really don't care about those things anymore, because I find it time consuming because nothing seems to ever change,and I just tell myself that everything was written before it was created. With that in mind, thats when I feel hope.

Haashim   

Shaqsii, good point and the answers are not easy, but there is one thing we've to be confident about it; ALLAH NEVER OPRESS TO ANYBODY, but the people are oppressing themselves and each other, so we're the source of our tragedy not from our creator. i think the IGNORANCE is the biggest source of our problems and to have some degrees from university can't change that ignorance it's a virus that most of us are carrying including many degree holders and even some sheikhs; because to learn something is a one thing and to understand it is another ......

Miskin   

Shaqsii, brov similar questions appeared almost every site i ever visited, it unfortunate our people are like this and there is no answer for it. but it seems to me that we somalis like concentrating on our negative sides and not on the posive ones. the only person you can change is you and the same applies to me and every body else so let us go back to our own selves.

Latefa, sister your homeland needs you, it needs you education and expertise, America or which ever country you are at don't need you. and remember this my dear sister if you dont make the difference who will.

peace

Originally posted by Shaqsii:

Why is it that Most of our brothers/sisters tend to be FOLLOWERS other than leaders in this world?

First you have to follow...then learn ..then lead.

Even the ones who ever get to that middle position tend to cut off from those who are still struggling?

I find that in Somalis, there are people who will drag you down. Who will question your motives when you want more..in life. Who will question your "dhaqaan" when you learn somethings about your cultures that you don't quite agree with. Who will basically hate on you because they are not doing as well as you are. In that case, some people choose to distance themselves from other Somalis like the ones I described.

Why can’t we get along?

Go figure. Maybe we need to stop judging eachother. Don't hold dhaqaan in such a high standard that it almost becomes religious (nothing short of idol-worshipping).

Why is it that our worst enemies are the same Somalis who smile at you and have a dagger with the other hand?

I couldn't answer you that question since I don't have many Somali friends .. n I usually don't interact with that type to begin with

How come we drop all our ideals, culture and embrace cultures that are themselves lost and trying to reinvent themselves.

In this case, I think you should speak for yourself. Its not your place to judge other people on "how somali they are"..maybe when you drop that attitude in life, you will see that northamerica is a mix of alot of cultures. You can't say there is only one type of culture here..Second of all, not everyone was born and raised in Somalia. Third of all, worry about yourself and your family first.

Why is it that we pretend to be true Islamic believers and as soon as one steps out of the Mosque change into a horrible person?

I will answer this question with a question: can you see into a person's heart? In other words, don't judge a book by its cover!

Do we still have a conscience knowing that out there are a people who are dying everyday and a group of people who are working for the extinction of our race?

Paranoia :confused:

You sure ask alot of questions thou :cool:

Miriam1   

Why is it that Most of our brothers/sisters tend to be FOLLOWERS other than leaders in this world?

I agree with opinioted answer, yet there are many who get stuck in the "following" level, i dont know many its a fear of being the one that is different from everyone else , the one who dares to introduce new ideas that could be accpeted or not and it is that fear of unacceptance that puts many people down.They are unable to see the greatness of being your own person.

Even the ones who ever get to that middle position tend to cut off from those who are still struggling?

Ambition,vanity, false pride in their new position...isnt it a part of being human to have that need to stick to others like us and ignore or put down others who arent.

I am wondering about the other questions just like you...but one thing i have to say is that you should be proud of yourself Shaqsii, you are able to wonder and ponder on these questions and not be blind as the rest of the masses.

Changed   

Originally posted by Shaqsii:

agrees with opinionated .... isnt that the case in somalia now ....everyone wants to be the leader :eek: .

:rolleyes:

Why can’t we get along?

that cuz we are envious of eachother and we jump to conclutions rather then listen to the person..basically we dont trust others and we tend to be quite critical . we dont eccept people for who they are ...(am talking about somalis )..sad to admit but i am judgemental at times

Why is it that our worst enemies are the same Somalis who smile at you and have a dagger with the other hand?

...we too fake redface.gif ..we dont express our feeling and if we do there is a big fuss over it ...like the entire community would find out about it ..they just dont want the hassle

How come we drop all our ideals, culture and embrace cultures that are themselves lost and trying to reinvent themselves.

basically one has to discover who they are to feel secure and to act on indivitual need..we somalis tend to do what the society we live around wants us to do.so we act like a typical somali around somalis .. act like gaalo around the gaalos ..indivituality is very rare .. :(

Why is it that we pretend to be true Islamic believers and as soon as one steps out of the Mosque change into a horrible person?

ALLAH aclam warasuluh

How do you walk this earth knowing that you don’t give a damn about anything but you as an individual and are never looking to ever go back to your homeland?

personally i would go back to somalia if my life was not at risk :D

I’m truly glad to see all your reactions and hope that some of these same questions can trigger something in you to think and ponder. Thank you all for your opinions.

Someone once said "It is essential that we keep the very best of who we are and what we believe - build upon it - if we are to be successful in defining and achieving a sustainable society." (Can’t seem to remember who).

Self-Respect and Pride in One's Cultural Heritage

First is self-respect and pride in one's own cultural heritage, without which it makes no sense to even think of cultural interaction with other countries. But obvious as this matter may seem to scholars and workers in the West, not all sectors, especially businessmen and the youth are easily convinced, laboring as they still are from a certain feeling of insecurity about the continuing validity of their own cultural traditions vis-à-vis the "modernizing" elements from the industrialized countries. But without this self-respect, we cannot expect Somali people to regard each other with much respect and consideration, for a regard for others is rooted in a sense of self-worth and dignity.

An atmosphere of tolerance, a healthy regard for differences becomes a sine qua non towards realizing this multiculturalism, which some thinkers have termed "cultural democracy." Such label, however, is misleading for it may create the impression that the bearers of the majority culture have a right to prevail and impose their culture on the those of the minority culture, simply because of the former's numerical superiority, or so-called 'majority rule'.

A system of vital ideas, as a culture is, cannot be considered superior or inferior simply on the basis of the number of its adherents, unless we qualify these adherents to be the most learned and wisest of the population. Otherwise, the numbers hardly signify anything. The culture of ancient Rome was not necessarily superior to the emerging Christian culture during the early Middle Ages in Europe, in spite of the imperial magnitude of the former.

It might be better to regard each culture as a school of thought and feeling with their corresponding patterns of behavior and forms of expression. Being such, it will have a particular specialization, an area of undisputed strength. This is the basis of a culture's uniqueness and distinctiveness, what we call its identity. This is what gives the culture its definable character or spirit. That is why no two cultures are identical. And since each culture has its own particular specialization, energy and strength, all cultures are equal, though different. Thus, cultures may only be judged as relevant, functional or useful for a given period of time, situation, or purpose and not whether they are superior or inferior per se.

The eminent French musicologist, Alain Danielou, has this to say about culture as a school of thought, as the genius or expertise of a people:

The peoples most advanced on a certain level may remain relatively primitive on another...Iran and Arabia are...still today the lands blessed by the muses with poetry although this poetry may not find a publisher and we may be unaware of its very existence. Peoples who have a technological superiority...have often in the course of history, imposed most primitive religious, philosophical or artistic conceptions on peoples infinitely more advanced in these fields, causing a retrogression sometimes of several years. The greatest civilizations of the past have been virtually destroyed in this way. Weak and poor countries have sometimes played in the world - through the originality of their arts - a greater role than some rich nations, which have not known how to preserve an inner spirit, and consequently have nothing to offer us

One of the reasons I asked these questions was that I get your perspectives on life and whatever experiences you have come across as individuals and collectively. I have come across many of my brothers/sisters in life to warrant the many questions I have had to ask.

I do respect all your viewpoints and perspectives ofcouse regardless of how extreme or worthy they could be. After all, we are all here to try to learn and educate each other in some small way about the way we are seen by others in today’s world. I sometimes wonder why we are so different and yet so unique. We are such a beautiful race blessed with a very interesting rich culture that has a lot to offer but at the same time takes away a lot of what it offers somehow. Most of us luck the drive to research into it and provide some written evidence of how rich it is. As seen by most of you by now, many of the unbiased writers and promoters of our culture happen to be foreigners and what they write often is the yard stick used to gauge what the Somali people are and stand for.

The portrayal of our communities in the media worldwide is of people who are selfish, lazy and not united. We are seen as a people who could be easily corrupted and assimilated and today that is evident in some of the writings here where we have individuals talking of Somalis who are homosexual and lesbians and ofcouse even embrace the language that goes with it.

To be cont…..

I only have one cent, but will share two cents.

Good points and amazing questions bro_

Its in our shaqsii to look over, and over look these type of topics. Even though many may disagree upon your doubts about "many of our borthers/sisters tend to be FOLLOWERS other than leaders in this world".

I would profoundly speak of those that keep their leadership between them and Allah. In terms of speaking Somali people is what I would like to direct your vision to. There are many more than the lesser lost in this Westernized worl we live in today. Every person has an obligation to follow before leading, learn before teaching and listen before speaking. Now not to lose the topic, true leaders are never heard of most of the time. Since this is a Westernized era we live in, all if not most has to be done by hype, and aritificial guidance in advertising with fame. As past pictures show; "Somali leaders" again in terms we're speaking of, have been lead by western cultures and western deceptions. Not to blame the West afcourse I take this course to "Self" as you put it in your last posting.

-----------------Quote--------------------------

An atmosphere of tolerance, a healthy regard for differences becomes a sine qua non towards realizing this multiculturalism, which some thinkers have termed "cultural democracy." Such label, however, is misleading for it may create the impression that the bearers of the majority culture have a right to prevail and impose their culture on the those of the minority culture, simply because of the former's numerical superiority, or so-called 'majority rule'.

-----------------UnQoute--------------------------

And majority rule will put "Self" in this case more difficult to present, when what really counts is -who you know, not what you know- in terms of leadership. Connection brings greater investment, thus leaving the real leaders on their own battling their ideas and great notes of vivid future visions. Sadly put I didn't agree with most of your speech, and I would like you to understand why we lack leaders in terms of "Somali leaders" as we are discussing right now. And to point out the questions on:

"Why is it that we pretend to be true Islamic believers and as soon as one steps out of the Mosque change into a horrible person?"

Again I bring you to self, when you speak of "We" that leaves you with a generalized tongue, yet am going to take it as a typo. As to "Pretending". Those who act like them, should be treated like them in the day of judgement'day. And turning "Horrible" takes the chances of the devil to a higher note, as in. When stepping out of the "Mosque" the change that takes tone is evils whispers in ones head. Still there are no blames but "Self", everyone has a choice to believe or dont believe. But, interms of "We" I will debate and make it "singular"...........

I personally give you automatic respect for your major thinking and concideration upon this topic, than you for sharing. Again I dont mean to be all negative towards what you wrote, but only those who give you real answers rather than follow what you say out of good sense will be the ones to ballance with you. Stay positive bro!

Turn tables, view points and I plead you cut your cabel. ;)

"Why do I need TV, thats like having suer running in your living room". By some Jew :confused:

Hope I made sense to one of your six senses~

~1~

PeaceMiddleEast

VividVision

Deadly vision..I thank you for your "two cents" as u called it and would like to thank u too for not wholly agreeing with me somehow. That just shows that you have your own mind and can have your analysis of some of the questions asked. I have learned agreat deal already from the responses I have received from you all. I may have somehow included you all in my arguments but its because I find it unbelievable that we cant do much for ourselves as a community other than look on others to do it for us.

Letefah sis....what would be better than be in your own backyard where you can watch the ocean from your window. The lovely breeze, the fresh foods and most of the lovely scenery you would enjoy without worrying. A peaceful Islamic state where you dont have to be pay too much taxes and ofcouse a helpful government that caters for all your every whim assuming it gets enlightened on whats right for us all as Somalis.

The arguments put forward are based on the experiences I have had over the years with the many nomads I have encountered and the domant nature of their WILL to be counted as a force of some thought. So far I can take heart from the fact that we are still at the learning stage.

MAY ALLAH BLESS US ALL AND MAKE US SEE WHATS RIGHT FROM WRONG.

interesting poem

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Shaaqsi People can give you umpteen responses

and have many answers to your questions but I'll tell you this (I've been told by older brothers),

the questions you ask and their answers lay inside of you. The only way really and truelly

inshallah, that you can get answers is by reflecting on your self and your many imperfections and inconsistances and we all have them, walaal!

You might wake up a mumin in the morning,

curse all day and fight with someone in the afternoon, say that you'll stop praying salat by asr time and when Isha rolls around, pray all your salats and ask for istigfar and inshallah

go to bed a Mumin.

If you are not a struggling believer with yourself, then most likely you won't look at yourself and actually see that sometimes:

You might be a follower and not a leader, or are a good muslim in the mosque but are too embarassed to show your islam at school or work

Reading books and listening other people won't help you.

The real work is in finding the answers within yourselfs and daily life pattern.

Hope inshallah that this makes some sense to you.

Fi Amanallah

Thanks once again for your input Kheyr......

that you can get answers is by reflecting on your self and your many imperfections and inconsistances and we all have them, walaal!

Yes we all do brother Khyr but our imperfections take the cream de la cream when you compare us with most other communities around us. Surely shouldnt we be able to leave like most other people..develop as a nation and aspire to be the best there is ever? Shouldnt we turn our troubles into success by working 110% instead of being too laid back and content in someones own backyard. I can point out some countries that never give up like India which is suddenly emerging as a power interms of technology where the first world now goes and looks for inspiration and professionals for their IT industry.

Ok we probably are one of the best countries in Africa when it comes to Technology/telecommunication despite not having a Govt. but shouldnt we have alove for more prosperity and peace.

Jiisss:)

Salaan...

Shaqsi, ileen waxaa la maqneed waxaan oo su'aalo aa soo dig gareyneysay. Yaaya!

But duqa, honestly I can't answer them all now, ee let me enjoy my Soomaali faniila and get back with answers soon.

By the way, ka waran businesskii? Is it booming? I heard it must be a booming season in this unprecedented heatwave season.

Macsalaama.