Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

The Play Conludes-

Sophist   

Nabil: From East End of London: Came to England when he was 9 years of age

Ali: South West London- Fulham- Came to London around the age of 7, his father was Seaman

Farah: From Aldgate, East London-bordering the City- Came to England at the age of 17 .

All of them are in their early twenties: 24, 25 and 24 respectively

The time was three o’clock post meridiam and the location is the majestic building of one of the London’s most awe-inspiring landmarks. The three chaps went into the room where they wanted to be transcend into the world that is an ancient as IT IS!. After few moments of what seemed tediously bore to one of the chaps, Nabil with his cheesy grin said, what are we doing here! This is boring man; let us go to the fun land. With astonishing look on his hackneyed face Farah says, come on Nabil this is Heaven. Annoyed with the response of his fellow friend, Nabil seeks refugee in the hands of Ali; come on bruv, you know this is boring man, back me up man! This geezer is blinded bruv. With immense grin in his worn-out mouth Ali says, let us just give it a time huh!. Disappointed with Ali’s response he headed to an effigy that was nearly unrecognisable. He stood there for a while and tried to figure out why these statuettes were here! He thought what a rotting bore this is!. Farah rushed towards where Nabil was standing and said, excellent piece of carving! Do you know who this is asked Farah? Nabil was like duh he is some sort of Egyptian King or something as heavy as that man. Farah smiled and said, not quite this is a figure recently discovered and it is believed to be Khnum the ancient god of Egyptians; you see in not like any other god but the one who created them all. Nabil couldn’t hold a soundly laughter!! Woow, he is an ugly god- I can never imagine how Egyptians looked if their god was as bummer as this man!. You know what they say in Somali “inantii hooyadeed harrorka tuntaa iyadana haadintey taqaanaa” Farah was furious with such a hideous ridicule to an art that had been preserved for thousands of years. Come on, see the bigger picture rejoined farah, don’t see this as black and white. Forget about the approximation of reality, which you are currently unwarily making. See from artistic point of view. What are you on about mate, what the heck is art? This is piece of shit man, it looks ugly to be anything valuable said Nabil with an air of satisfaction.

Farah: okay, perhaps I can make you see the preciousness of this piece if you allow we have a civilised discussion?

Nabil: Fat chance of that happening

Farah: Just be open minded and try to see the picture I am drawing here!

Nabil: It better bee prettier than the one we are standing in front of

Farah: uuh, so you think beauty is something you can attach value to it?

Nabil: yeah man, beautiful women are more valuable than say an ugly one

Farah: what, what do you mean beautiful women? And what do you attach value to it, in other words who do you decide what is valuable?

Nabil: you are being faarax bruv, value because is it valuable to me man and I don’t give a toss what you say.

Ali joins them

Ali: ooh, I see you guys are having a discussion on this piece of shit! Let us leave this place I am really bored. I have had it with the cultural emancipation for a day man, Farah, let us go and have a tea. Where you suggest we go?

Farah: Hold it right there, we are in the middle of thought provoking discourse of which I shall make the truth be the centre of all reality.

Nabil: what are you on about man, since you have read all these fat books in your room you have turned someone else man. What happened to the cool guy with the Somali poetical language? You have become something strange man

Farah: let us rid off this personal echo, let us deal with the issues at hand!

Ali: we shall do so when we go to a coffee house, there is good one in Shaftsbury avenue! We may as well go there since we are in cultural tour for the day.

After walking through Holborn and seeing different…………………………..

The coffee house was charmingly decorated with intensely rich colours that calm your nerves especially after a day of a long pseudo-philosophical discussion.

After ordering their respective drinks they are seated in a table corner of the Coffee house; the interior is luxuriously and artistically furnished. The sound of the piano is heard like a cool breeze coming further land- far from the debonair and feral west end café they are in..

The conversation proceeds:

Ali: Now, what were you guys talking about? I seriously dislike anything that sounds intelligent but merely is a sound- like a hallow ad nausea which is suppose to make us all feel better of ourselves; then again I am sure Farah you would never entertain such thoughts.

Farah: Never is word that I do abstain utilising, for our human tenets makes us so capricious to change!. But my good fellow was showing a sign of triviality of which made me irate, and you do know I seldom get livid.

Nabil: Oow listen whether you get mad or otherwise, I was just trying to say what I thought. I think it is waste of time to look at these pictures and sculptures which serve no purpose.

Farah: Ignorance is the harmony of which some seek shelter from the bitter truth.

Ali: Please elaborate

Farah: Elated to do so. If a traveller wants to cross over abridge and he does not know that the bridge is wobbly and it may collapse he will continue his journey without hesitance. But if the truth is revealed to him then there is a substantial chance that he will cease to pursue his journey- as the Somali saying goes: Libax nin aan aqoon ayaa lax karita: Only a man who does not know a lion regain his sheep from the beast.

Nabil: Now you are being insulting, you are saying I am ignorant.

Farah: On the contrary, I believe that you are well informed and street wise, but in the higher and refined things you have yet to develop the taste. I am sure as time goes by you will learn to like higher arts; we are all in steady evolutionary process.

Ali: ooh God and who decides what is refined and what isn’t? Surely, these things are subjective.

Farah: Delighted you have asked me that question. Okay, let us talk about something that is not an “abstract”. Truth is a superior to falsehood? The fact that truth has inherent goodness makes it better than falsehood. Do you accept such assertion?

Nabil: Yes I do, but I don’t see where you are going with this analogy.

Farah: The Link shall become clear in time. Now you believe that there are things independently real from you perception or experience?

Nabil: um, I don’t know?

Farah: Okay let me give you a simple example. The existence of Allah is independent from your perception and perhaps experience; is that right?

Nabil: Yeah man that is true. But what is reality got to do with taste?

Farah: uuh, a clever question. Reality being the hardest thing to prove, I shall use it to pave way the fallacy of the principle of relativity of which you have unconsciously base your argument on.

Nabil: what a flippant hell you are on about mate, are you now going into my conscious? I said who decides what is refined and what isn’t! And I thought you would answer my question in terms of names; be that as in individual or a matter of principle.

Farah: and I am attempting to answer to it in a Socratic method- pity you have neglected yourself taking advantage of such privilege at University.

Ali: Come on Farah, don’t derail the discourse into dour rail; I prefer when you attempt to be humorous than supercilious in your ability to utilise sophistry! Trust me humour is the way to go.

Nabil: At last common sense is prevailing. Let me come back to it ::::: Nabil compliments Ali’s remark but Ali seems oblivious to its meaning— Afkaaga Caano lagu Qabey!:::: Farah, let me ask you, would you say Hip Hop is inferior to Classical Music?

Farah: uuh, I dislike talking about specifics but since your wits prefer specifics to general principles then I shall concede and indulge you in this manner. I think that Hip Hop music is substandard to Classical Music. I say this for the simple reason that in Classical Music there is lesser artificiality (be careful the meaning of this word) supplements where in Hip Hop the artists go their way to use as much words to convey their message—bear in mind many times they are gripped with the posterior side of Female anatomical structure; or even worst full of profane and vulgar words that perhaps might be detrimental to the wellbeing of the society. Obviously these are peripheral.

Nabil: Now, you are being selective. There are rappers who rap about peace, harmony and the rights of Afro-Americans. Surely these guys voices shouldn’t be ignored.

Farah: uuh, you seem to perhaps misunderstand me in my last contention. As I said the passionate fixation on the anatomical parts of females or any other idiotic thing they rap about are primarily tangential. I am talking about the genre. The Hip Hop music is quite simply far from nature where Classical is closer to it.

Ali: Please allow me for the interjection, what do you mean nature.

Farah: Nature as the dictionary describes: Whole System of existence, forces, and events of the physical world that is not controlled by human beings.

Nabil: That does not say a thing about Classical Music.

Farah: Uh, okay. Sound is on of the particles of nature. The sounds that the birds, waves and the water valleys make are all closer to Classical Music than to that of Hip Hop. Because of the plethora of sounds and VOICES which are mixed together in Hip Hop makes it less natural.

Nabil: Yes, but Hip Hop is more influencial. When you are dancing to it, it moves you like you are in ecstatic way.

Farah: laughs, you just made me grin immensely Nabil. What makes the dancer rapturously euphoric is not the music alone but the voluptuous women he is attempting to lure into his world- this is obviously an enjoyment induced by potential physical delight. But if you appreciate Classical Music you can be mystically transformed into another world. You go into an atmosphere of the seventh heaven and that must be gratifying experience.

Ali: But in classical music many people don’t experience it but in Hip Hop masses thrush upon clubs in London and get their share of delight; surely this must count to something?

Farah: The dear fellow, the measure of refinement is not what number of men and women experience in it but merely the intrinsic value it has. You will surely agree with me that studying Maths at University level as you have done is painfully difficult in comparison to Marketing degree my friend here holds. We have ever increasing Marketing students but a fewer Maths readers at University level. Surely, you would say that Maths is inferior to Marketing degree?

Ali: Fair point. Nabil, are you convinced?

Nabil: Convinced about what? You must be kidding man, this guy is employing Sophistry this obviously stands him in a better line than I when it comes to arguing this issue through. But I know that I am right though I can not but my theory in a coherent and rational way.

Farah: (laughs with cheesy grin) uuh, and they say Somalis who were brought up in this country are good with discourse. Taasna Ha ideyso!.

Dhamaad

Comments:

Thank you very much indeed if you have read the play, I would now appreciate if you let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Ever Sincerely

Sophist the Nomad.

Zaylici   

This is wonderfull play, and I enjoyed it. Sophist I wonder if you could tell me what the word sophists stands for and for that matter you relation to the school tha existed in Greek prior the emergencey of Socratic philosophy. I usually delight as man whose extremely in love with being whenever the subject of philosophy is mentioned and this seems to me is not unusual given one of the deravatives of the word Philosophy is love. I wonder if You could tell more about your self( your education and where you live) becuese I think we can do some commerce on the subject of philosophy and we can deeply reflect on he realities of human conditions in Somali Pinansula.

I am student of Philosophy,psychology and social sciences at the university of Minisota and I live in Mpls Minisota.

By

Sophist   

Zaylici,

Thanks for your response.

Quite interesting combination, i am sure you drinking from the well of Descarts with pleasure! assuming you Love Philo!!!.

Sophist is a name I have been lebbeled at University last year when debating the trancedental logic (Kant's approach to anything metaphysics). For some obscure reason my fellow classmates thought I was primarily trying to convince them with unadulterated sophistry! so there is where the nick came from- Sorry if you were expecting something more profound than that.

Regards my personal profile, Libaxsankataable will be most helpful with your quries-- am sure he will take delight in relying any info which he deems to be appropriate.

Paragon   

Farah: uuh, I dislike talking about specifics but since your wits prefer specifics to general principles then I shall concede and indulge you in this manner. I think that Hip Hop music is substandard to Classical Music. I say this for the simple reason that in Classical Music there is lesser artificiality (be careful the meaning of this word) supplements where in Hip Hop the artists go their way to use as much words to convey their message—bear in mind many times they are gripped with the posterior side of Female anatomical structure; or even worst full of profane and vulgar words that perhaps might be detrimental to the wellbeing of the society. Obviously these are peripheral.

:D Well well well! I'm reminded of that circle we held the other day...with the company of the joint smoking white-girl. Remember this converse?

----

Farah: Man you are so pedantic! so pedantic!

Miss X: What does !pedantic! mean my bro?

----

...well i assure you my dear friend, Ali is not pedantic and i hope the meaning wasn't as this "marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects" Giving the matter a global view doesn't necessary yield to being pedantic, i suppose.

:D

Paragon   

One more thing, oh i almost forgot about it. If incase you intend to write a play in the future, with the charactor "Ali" content, allow Ali to speak for himself. It shall then sound interesting and knowledgable. smile.gif

PS: Good play my friend....Farah is such a gifted man in the world of words. I'ved noticed his intellect outright.

Sophist   

Jamal uuh talent recognises talent!!!

Good memory induces us to reminsce the not so good conversation with that hedious company!

Um sure Ali hace been poirtrayed well in the play--- notice how sanely quite he was throughout the play.

Jamal, can you send me the first part of the play, or shall i rewrite th whole thing!!!!

Sophist   

Salaams,

Truth's objectivity introduces light into the gloomy dark rooms some of us are cocooned in socrates! and I am fan of your name mate! thanks.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Paragon   

This is your request my friend...sorry if it took me sometime.

--------

Nabil: From East End of London: Came to England when he was 9 years of age

Ali: South West London- Fulham- Came to London around the age of 7, his father was Seaman

Farah: From Aldgate, East London-bordering the City- Came to England at the age of 17 .

All of them are in their early twenties: 24, 25 and 24 respectively

The time was three o’clock post meridiam and the location is the majestic building of one of the London’s most awe-inspiring landmarks. The three chaps went into the room where they wanted to be transcend into the world that is an ancient as IT IS!. After few moments of what seemed tediously bore to one of the chaps, Nabil with his cheesy grin said, what are we doing here! This is boring man; let us go to the fun land. With astonishing look on his hackneyed face Farah says, come on Nabil this is Heaven. Annoyed with the response of his fellow friend, Nabil seeks refugee in the hands of Ali; come on bruv, you know this is boring man, back me up man! This geezer is blinded bruv. With immense grin in his worn-out mouth Ali says, let us just give it a time huh!. Disappointed with Ali’s response he headed to an effigy that was nearly unrecognisable. He stood there for a while and tried to figure out why these statuettes were here! He thought what a rotting bore this is!. Farah rushed towards where Nabil was standing and said, excellent piece of carving! Do you know who this is asked Farah? Nabil was like duh he is some sort of Egyptian King or something as heavy as that man. Farah smiled and said, not quite this is a figure recently discovered and it is believed to be Khnum the ancient god of Egyptians; you see in not like any other god but the one who created them all. Nabil couldn’t hold a soundly laughter!! Woow, he is an ugly god- I can never imagine how Egyptians looked if their god was as bummer as this man!. You know what they say in Somali “inantii hooyadeed harrorka tuntaa iyadana haadintey taqaanaa” Farah was furious with such a hideous ridicule to an art that had been preserved for thousands of years. Come on, see the bigger picture rejoined farah, don’t see this as black and white. Forget about the approximation of reality, which you are currently unwarily making. See from artistic point of view. What are you on about mate, what the heck is art? This is piece of shit man, it looks ugly to be anything valuable said Nabil with an air of satisfaction.

Farah: okay, perhaps I can make you see the preciousness of this piece if you allow we have a civilised discussion?

Nabil: Fat chance of that happening

Farah: Just be open minded and try to see the picture I am drawing here!

Nabil: It better bee prettier than the one we are standing in front of

Farah: uuh, so you think beauty is something you can attach value to it?

Nabil: yeah man, beautiful women are more valuable than say an ugly one

Farah: what, what do you mean beautiful women? And what do you attach value to it, in other words who do you decide what is valuable?

Nabil: you are being faarax bruv, value because is it valuable to me man and I don’t give a toss what you say.

Ali joins them

Ali: ooh, I see you guys are having a discussion on this piece of shit! Let us leave this place I am really bored. I have had it with the cultural emancipation for a day man, Farah, let us go and have a tea. Where you suggest we go?

Farah: Hold it right there, we are in the middle of thought provoking discourse of which I shall make the truth be the centre of all reality.

Nabil: what are you on about man, since you have read all these fat books in your room you have turned someone else man. What happened to the cool guy with the Somali poetical language? You have become something strange man

Farah: let us rid off this personal echo, let us deal with the issues at hand!

Ali: we shall do so when we go to a coffee house, there is good one in Shaftsbury avenue! We may as well go there since we are in cultural tour for the day.

After walking through Holborn and seeing different…………………………..

The coffee house was charmingly decorated with intensely rich colours that calm your nerves especially after a day of a long pseudo-philosophical discussion.

After ordering their respective....

------

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Sophist