Sign in to follow this  
KritiKal-Mind

Globalisation Vs Nationalism: which side are you on?

Both the notions of 'globalization' & 'nationalism' are created by Western thought and operate under their mechanism. So why don't you just ask us to change our skin color & attitude, i.e. become completely brain-washed by Western thought? I think that would qualify as a better question...

SALAM

great topic!

Although the term globalization has acquired the status of a populaire cliche the concept itself is not new. how do u define globalization? Simply put, means the expanding social growing magnitude speeding up and deepening impact of transcontinental flows and patterns of social interaction. that being said it should not be viewed, prefiguiring the emergence of a harmonious world society a unversal process of global intergration. it can fuel reactionnary politics and deepseated xenophobia. since a substancial proportion of the worlds population is largely excluded from the benefits of the globalization it is a deeply divisive process.

I view globalization as a project governed by the worlds political and economic elites, better known under "COSMOCRACY" for the benefit of a minority of a humankind. the same cosmocracy centred in the united states which promotes and organizes globalization principaly through the IMF " international monitary funds" world bank, wto, g7 and so on and so forth.

globalization is about the exploitation of the poor increasing the disparioties, major role in the growing gap between the rich and the poor.

u can simply put it this way, who rules in whos interest by what means and what ends?

who governs? US,AND G7 STATES

IN WHOS INTEREST? US,WESTERN

TO WHAT END? MAINTAIN us/ western dominance by what means? hegemonic

in the developing world, what we call today third world countries, africa, latin america and to certain extend asia, almost 30 000 children under 5 die every day from preventable deseases which have been all but eradicated in the west. providing basic health care for the deprived is estimated at 13 billion a year.shockingly well not so shockin 4 billion less the west spends on pet food... thats 9 billion on pet food, when kids are dying in need of the basics.

my pick? nationalism

"hypocricy is the only evil that walks alone except to god alone."

salaama calaykum,

A good topic! Basically what most of you are saying is:

Globolisation is a western phenomenon designed to suffocate the cultures and economies of the non-western world, and in so doing subordinate them to dependency.

Wasn't that how Imperialism was defined?

Paragon   

I thought its worth bringing back this topic, since I need the views of other nomands on the 'Mythology of Globality/Globalness or Globalization.'.

On the debate about the mythology of the reality of globalization, I often tend to align my thoughts with the antagonists's of the globalization thesis' camp. Writers and Theorists such Paul Hirst and Grahame Thompson, Sholte and McGrew and others, do emphasize strongly on the points that surely misplace and dimiss arguements that claim an unprecedented change - indicative of a phenomenon like globalization - to be taking place. Often, we are told 'markets must obey free-trade', but is there really such a thing as free-trade? Or could it be 'genuinely' argued that the so-called 'free-ness' that characterises globalization is just late capitalism as neo-marxists claim?

Is globalization a reality or 'just a new buzz-word to denote the latest phase of Capitalism' hence a myth?

Coming back to address the topic at hand, hyperglobalists would like us believe that globalization constitutes a new epoch of human history, making nation-states unnatural! However this is an arguement which has been frequently refuted by the likes of Hirst and Thompson who claim that, though states might seem weakened in terms of control and soverignty, they still remain the highest legitimate actors in the international arena....

to be continued...sorry