Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

I am no feminist, but isnt it time..?

Ms DD   

Salaam aleykum

Is it time for women to take over from the decion-making political process from the men? They got us nowhere. Isnt it about time we participate and play greater role than the token positions we get?

In the history of our country, women havent been able to participate in political decision-making except for the wishy-washy 'ururka horumarka haweenkaa' which did nada for the average Caasha on the streets.

To participate in the political processes, women need to be given a chance on her merits and leave the sexists nonsense behind. We need the level-headedness, the intuition (and let face it the honesty) of a female. We are missing their unique insight and views. A richness that is still being ignored in our country.

We need to recognise that women’s full and equal participation in the political process and decision-making will provide a balance that more accurately reflects the composition of society.

I think there should be gender quotas that allot 30 to 50 percent of decision-making positions for women in any future government. This makes any government more efficient in serving the needs of its citizens by ensuring that even seemingly neutral policies and programs take into account the women's concerns and needs right at the onset.

Shouldnt we take advantage of the constructive role women can play in decision-making processes.

I know that most countries of the world, representation of women remains low but they are miles ahead. I remember reading a report from the Inter-Parliamentary Union (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/668186.stm) , that said "women politicians believe they can change the nature of politics, but remain constrained by rules and practices established by men before they arrived on the scene."

There has never been a truer statement, especially in the case of Somalia.

It is crucial that many more Somali women make their way into the government.

Perhaps we wouldnt have been in this mess, if more women were in power in the first place.

Before any of you say anything, I have done great research in female leadership in Islam. What restrict us isnt Islam but the so-called male leaders.

Ms DD   

We have tried the men, havent we? However I didnt say they would be better then men, but that they could bring an different prespective to the situation. Thus providing alternative points of view to what has heretofore been addressed by men.

Furthermore this would reflect more accurately the composition of a society if more women were given a chance?

Ms DD   

Salaam aleykum angle

Cheers for agreeing with me. However the picture you posted goes against everything i believe. We are no men and will never be. We should never lose our femininity and our roles in life that Allah set for us. I dont believe that we should completely dsiregard our roles in the family or the very fabric of our society will be destroyed.

I honestly think that we can bring something to table. Just check the politics forum and the level of testorone. A lot of chest beating are happening there.

The question is: What is holding us back?

1-Ourselves: Is it because we dont strive to improve ourselves intellectually? Or is it because we are not ambitious enough? I know we are intellectually capable political decision making, or any type of decision making for that matter.

2- The culture in general: The olden days where decision-making process was occuring underneath the Qurac trees by our male elders. Havent we left this mentality behind? Perhaps the venue has changed whilst the mentality still remains.

3- Our Menfolk: I know that every Somali home, the mom is the queen. No one can accuse Somali females to be weak and submissive. I dont want to be accused of male-bashing but i think it is a case of unrelated somali female being your leader which many men aan ka degi karin. I am sure many men in the diaspora have no problem with this issue but i aint so sure those back home.

Perhaps it is a combination of all.

Cambaro Cilmi got a point here..

..Let us involve women in all sectors of our society..Religion,Education, politics, social and cultural relations etc..

Women are near "perfection" especially in moulding our families the way they want them to be, The kids..the Men(Husbands) and relatives..

The whole society may perform well with our women in the front wheel..

I am not sure though..