Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Identity

Hibo   

Which one comes first .. being a somali or being a Muslim … if u r asked to identify your self using the two words .. which one u will put first and why??? somali OR Muslim

Alhamdulillaahi rabil-'aalameen, was-salaatu was-salaamu 'ala nabeeyinaa muhammad wa 'ala aalihi wa ashaabihi wa man tabi'ahum bi ihsaanin ila yawmid-deen, amma b'ad

Salaamu Alaikum,

First of all, may i take this opportunity to welcome a new fellow nomad. I hope your time with us if full of blissful memories.

The answer is Muslim ofcourse - Alhamdulilah. In the name of Allah I was born In the name of Allah I live and In the name of Allah I die (Insha Allah). All praise due to Allah for guiding us to Al Islam and giving us iiman, Quran, rixamata lil caalamiin [The Prophet (SAW)] and all other blessings (nimcada) bestowed upon us.

1. Somali nationality does not denote any significant principles to me merely similitude of a label on a jeans with the purpose of distinguishing from other makes of jeans. In the same way being somali differentiates myself from other nationalities of the human race in that we may recognise each other and appreciate the variety of culture and creation. The world would a dull place if everyone possesed the same colour,features and nationality.

2. Nationality has no other purpose than the abovementioned and cannot gurantee success nor dignity. We are often reminded not to prejudge others in terms of colour and place of origin since no single individual ever chooses the place one decends from it is all a matter of decree manifestation. If one wishes to utilise nationalism to rank him or herself above others then one would suffer from inferior complexity. We are reminded in a hadith translated roughly from the interpretation of the true arabic meanings:

" An Arab is not better than a Non-Arab and A black is not better than a Non-Black except in Taqwa (Fear of Allah).."

Islam has taught us we Ummah are one and we are equal. Just take a look at the Hajj where you have 1 to 2 million people performing pilgrimage to the house of Allah. Many races, nationalities men and women all believers and equal in status regardless of where they are from.

W/Salaam,

nuune   

mujahid,you the man wallaahiwhen it comes 2 somtheing about religion,u know what 2 do!!!!!

H   

Islam is da first way my bros. Mujahid keep up wid ya hard work coz ya a good example 2 all of us.

assalam alaykum

Muslimah   

Bismillahi Ar-Rahmani Ar-Rahim

All praises are due to Allah alone. We praise Him, we seek His help and His forgiveness.

Looks like Mujahid took care of what I wanted to say. Jazak Allahu Khair bro:D

Maaggiid   

BISMILLAHI RAHMANI RAHIM

ASALAMU ALEIKUM MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

IF YOU ASK ME THE ISSUE OF CHOOSING BETWEEN BEEN A SOMALI AND A MUSLIM IS NOT ONLY IRRELEVENT BUT ALSO INARTICULATE. I DONT JUST MAKE STATEMENTS OUT OF THE BLUE AND NOT BACK IT UP,,,,THAT WOULD BE UN-ACADEMIC.

TO BEGIN WITH LET ME SAY THAT YOU CAN BE A SOMALI BY TRIBE AND A MUSLIM AT THE SAME TIME. WE ARE MULSIM SOMALIS. ALLAH IN THE GLORIOUS QURAAN SAYS AND I QUOTE "[49.13] O you men! surely We have created you of a male and a female, and made you tribes and families that you may know each other; surely the most honorable of you with Allah is the one among you most careful (of his duty); surely Allah is Knowing, Aware.

SOOO,,,,WHOMSOEVER POSTED THIS QUESTION SHOULD RETHINK THEIR ARGUEMENT.

THNKS

Khayr   

Salaamz,

I had asked a similiar question a few months ago

and it was under the thread 'WHAT ARE YOU FIRST'?

The responses that I got varied

and some nomads disagreed with my question.

Guess what the popular answers where:

"I AM Myself' first and for most and as well as being Somali.

I wasn't surprised b/c such responses only reflect the mentality of such people.

Anyways, if you didn't know by now what my answer

is then , inshallah I need to check my posts and reorient my thoughts on here.

Fi Amanallah

underdog   

Being Somali and Being a Muslim technically should not conflict. Somali is where you were born and Islam is how you live.