Sign in to follow this  
Ismahan

Somali New Generation.....

Ismahan   

It's known that parents plays a vital role in their kid's life, and this will affect everything on them personality, Identity,way of thinking......

Sadly I can say that I can 50% blame my family and my surrounding for erasing my somali identity.

I was born in a non-somali country, raised there and live my whole life here, without thinking just once of taking me to my mother land.Even the somali language was not our daily used language,wallahi i used to feel shy sometimes to talk with others by my somali language cuz i am afraid they will find out how weak i am in it....I even don't know how to read somali frown.gif but trying my best....

Wallahi i was feeling shy of wearing the deric till the day that i had to wear it and i realized that it is really nice and i shouldnot feel shy of wearing it....

Even our somali food... It was very rare to see or taste it.. I am doing my best to make a somali identity for me ... cuz i am proud being somali and i have to show that...

Summary: Try to teach ur kids about their roots and their home land....

PEACE

[This message has been edited by Ismahan (edited 03-18-2002).]

HI SIS..U SEEM TO HAVE ALL OF THE STRENGHT THAT U NEEDED, SO I WOULD ONLY CONGRATULATE OF YOUR PROUDNESS OF BEING SOMALI AND I DOUPT INSHAALAH THAT YOUR FUTURE KIDS WILL FACE THE SAME ISSUES THAT U ENCOUNTERED TODAY

SO, ALL IN ALL...CONGRATULATIONS AND GOODLUCK

YOUR BRO

WIIL-WAAL

Hibo   

Sis it's great that you are making the effort to learn your language and culture, well done keep it up. I too have never been taught how to write the Somali language, I learned it all by my self through socializing with somalian people...My parents always talk to me in Somali and my friends too. So that way we are motivating one another to not forget our language and our true identity ... It helps when you are being surround by your own people, you can really learn a lot from them.

I advise you to watch the somalian riwaayadooyinka, read somalian websites and books.. and socialize with your own kind... with time inshallah you will see improvement with in your self.

Salaamz

Hibo   

Ismahaan, u r dding very well, your parents are niot the only parents who encouraged their kids to speak foreign language (AF QALAAD) unfortunately, there are many similliar parents who thought the (af qalaad)

a civilisaion, keep your efforts to learn your language,religion and culture, i don't want to say to your parents what they deserve, but to be honesty they humilated you, so you may play now the parents role and tell them that they are somalis etc. to not humilate your younger bros and sisters.

Hibo   

Ismahan:

Wow, am I glad to see someone in the same situation as myself. I too was born and raised outside of the horn. Though my parents did an excellent job in raising me, I felt as thought there was this large gap in me that I just couldn't fill in. Though i lived in a predominately Somali community, I went to school in an outside area and befriended those of other races. It wasn't until my cousins from Somalia came to live with us that i learned of my true identity, i.e, my language, and culture. Don't get me wrong, most can tell that i wasn't raised in Somalia, but I am in the learning process and picking up new things everyday. My next aim is to go and visit the motherland........hopefully!

Oblivion   

We're proud of you sis that u like ur language and ur ppl, it's wonderful.See the chinese, the latino and in'ians never forsake their traditions we oughta learn from them..peace.

Hibo   

well, good job sister, even though i do not know and can not imagine how you feel, cause i was born and grow up in somalia, i wish all the new generation will be like you, you know they say if you do not make mistake, it means you never tried. so it is ok if you make mistakes. try to listen BBC somali service, and read somali novels. best way to learn is to practice. good luck

Ismahan   

wiil-waal,Samira,muraad,SPARKLE,Oblivion,bulo..... Thanks all for ur support and encouragement ... One reason that i am proud to be somali is that somali ppl really care about each others alot.....

And ofcourse me and all of us will do our best to keep our real identity stay alive no matter what.....and sure i'll be happy to pass the culture to my kids in future.. if i had any wink.gif

Thanks once again ...

PEACE...

Salaan...

Ismahaan:

Saas dheh yaqeey. And cunugaa u horeeyo hadiis Rabiga kusiiyo oo markii dhasho, just make sure if he is a boy his first garment to wear should be 'macawiis,' or if she is a girl, then a good dirac with a suited googarad would do better.

And what is 'laxaax?' LoL. You mean it 'canjeero or malawax?' Oh, saas iga dheh nooh. Ani mar mar af jini waa ii ganbinaa hee.

Macsalaama!!

ayaanick   

"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep, to know our heritage to know who we are and where we came from. Without this enriching knowledge, there is a hollo yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness."

I think that said the best!

ayaan

Hibo   

Asalaamu Alaikum

Ismahaan sis I understand where you're coming from and I can relate to you. Although my mother always encouraged me to speak Somali (as soon as you step inside the house its Somali only, otherwise you get no reply from her lol); I feel ashamed when I can't understand my family on my father's side...this never used to bug me before, but the older I'm getting, the more I feel its becoming a problem...but alhumdullilah I've finished High School now, and the college I go to is mainly full of people from the North...now I'm gettin free lessons and I've started to use the word "dee" and understanding the meaning of such words as "laxoox". Life couldn't get better, now I'm beginning to understand both sides of my family biggrin.gif

Ma'salaama

Hibo   

Its amazing how we take for granted things like our language or the clothes we wear or our somalism. Yet one day out of the blue comes along someone like sister Ismahan...who was deprived of that right. Ismahaan, u r right sis.. its ur parents to blame...coz they didn't do their part in making u learn of ur heritage. But knowing the fact that u feel proud n u u r doing ur best in accomplishing that mission on ur own..is indeed an act of bravery. I know somalis will laugh at the slightest mistake u make in ur grammar. But throw a deaf ear on them...n do what u do..Know we all stand tall right next to u! Anytime u need help.. just holla!

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Hibo   

For Ismahan:

The most effective remedy for you to become a full somali is to have an arguments with me all the time through marraige and then be well-rounded about every aspect of somali literature. In other words, have an intriguing interaction with me whenever language, cultural identity, key assimilation componants and their improvements comes into your mind. And that for undoubtedly I will put full scale attention to the betterment of your less-than-perfect somali, dhaqan iyo dhalyo.

I have personal experiences in that particular field, and due to that issue I believe I have all it takes to make you overcome those obstacles under a smooth transition, welcome to Caydiid, your brother in Muslim and in Waryaa & Waryaa.

waryaa@somaliaonline.com