Sign in to follow this  
samawado

why do we..

samawado   

Al Salaam calaikum, there is something odd in the Somali nation I can't remember I ever saw it in another nation before, they like imitating other nations once they get close from them, for instant I know a Somali lady whose married to an Arab, she was born in Somalia & spent a great portion of her life in Somalia she came to the Gulf only ten years ago, before she was introduced to her husband she was a totally different person from the person she became, she was proud of her identity & never felt ashamed to talk in Somali with somebody in public, in fact she was the one who used to correct the mistakes I made when ever I tried to speak in Somali (since I've never been to Somalia before).I remember how some ladies used to look at her when ever she started talking, it's not that am criticizing her it's only that I felt sad that some of our brothers & sisters are like that(am not generalizing ).some of my family members living in the west that it's the same there too & that some brothers & sisters there are imitating Galada…thanx

------------------

samawado

Isra   

Salam

This is a common delima in our somali culture in my community in the arabs we had girls who were afraid to speak somali and acted as if they were arabs denied their somaliness

But i ask dont they have some right.

In the 90's our country was a big story everyone knew who somalis were and we living abroad were looked at in a some weird way.

It was a country in thier eyes that refused the help of the civlised world which made the somalis savages

So these lost ppl in these foriegn lands got salvage in adpting the cultures and ways of other ppl to form a identity they can be proud of.I am in no way justifying their actions but its nice to know both sides of the story.

Peace smile.gif

samawado... I think the Problem lays with our culture...maybe there is something Badly wrong with the somali culture that makes some of us runaway from it? Have you asked yourself that? Honestly, I know some of you may not agree with me on this but Honestly, I believe the only thing that is good about our culture is the Fact that we are all Muslims!! we are one of the Racist, separatist, tribalist People on earth.

However though,I'm sure there are other people who are like us .... Look at the sudanese, Bosnians, Iran's, Arab's, Nigerians, all of these cultures as soon as they Migrated here they adopted the American culture,,, espcially the Afro-amerian culture... Baggy pants,Slangs etc...

What was that Somali saying? "Biyo kaa badan iyo Dad Kaa badanba Waye Ku'hafiyaan"? I'm not sure if I spelled it correctly, but I'm sure you understand smile.gif

Peace...

samawado   

Salamu calikum, there is an Arab mahmah which says;" who's not good for his own people won't be good for any body else". I remember when I was in the elementary school my school principle used to put a big charity box in an observable corner at school & there where large posters of Somali dirty, crying children hanged on every single wall in the school. Somali children's population was large in the school community at that time & all of us knew each other .at the break time some of our school mates (Arabs) used to ask us is it true that your country is that much poor & that people are starving to death. As I said previously we were just kids so we used to lie, about me I used to say no this is not the real Somalia, Somalia is full of farms, great houses & friendly people (all that was based on my own imagination & on what my mother used to tell me about Somalia), some other children used to claim that they're Yemeni & got angry when ever any body called them Somalis. In the subconscious of every Somali who was born in an Arab country or at least spent a childhood there (especially the Gulf countries since they're the Arabs charity leaders) there is that picture of a starving child & believe me Isra if I told you that Arabs never thought of Somalia as the country of the savages whom didn't accept the American assistance, the only thing they remember is the starvation & I won't be surprised if I heard an Arab pointing at any starving black nation & calling them Somalis. Fatima sis, I do agree with you that the greatest thing in our culture is Islam, but I do believe too that there are lots of other things in our culture that we should be proud of. And About the other nationalities that imitate the afro-Americans I believe they're doing it because a subconscious feeling of inferiority moves them (the same feeling that moves some of our Somali brothers & sisters), thinking deep inside that by imitating gaalada they'll look more civilized……………thanx.

Isra   

Salam

Samawado bro u know how to bring back memories. The charity boxes, School libray full of magazines of starving somali children and somali men draging bodies in the streets. I remeber how i ran to the libray first in line. Just to hide those magazines i didnt nobody seeing them and connecting me to that country

U can call me vain but i was a 14yr old and well you how its to be 14.Me and my friends decided to be Qataris our new nationalities. When someone would ask me where i was form i would say i was qatari.

This only changed when my dad went to somalia in 92 and brought these pictures and tapes i was soooo proud of MY COUNTRY DAMN IT I HAD A COUNTRY cool huh.

Arabs was a cruel place to be in during that time. Imagine your nieghbours sending their old clothes to somalia and having to face them every day and seeing the sympathy in their eyes.

Anyways nice to bury the past.Ummmmm Where is my shovel smile.gif

Peace

jabarti   

Peace be upon U all. Br.& Sis.

Samawado, first of all thanx for U'r well selected topics.

There is Somali saying (Meeshii il laga layahay, Ishaa la iska ridaa) according to that saying somalis are emitating others blindly.

Secondly, most of the Somali youth that u seen in the west are sons and daughters of Nomads, they from small town in Somalia, therefore they havent seen big cities, and we call them (to xoor to xoor) that means from milk xoor to beer xoor, or U call them in the states flight 13.

So, sis samawado dont worry they will learn,

(Qofkaan waalidkiis rabayn wakhtigaa rabeeya)

Knowledge comes through experience. let them learn. Dhaaf darbiga hasoo taabteene.

Keep up the Good work.

Your Br. Jabarti

The Father of All.

samawado   

Al salamu calikum, 1st Isra sis it is a good idea to bury the past & leave it miles behind, looking for the shovel is not a bad idea. Jabarti bro you're welcome that was with my pleasure. I hope they shall learn to love & be proud of their homeland, & bro Thanx for your encouragement .may Allah bless you all & Ramadan kareem…. thanx

Lady Fatima is right. There are flaws thatthe somali people have that make you run away from the culture. There's a lot of Hate and rivalry. I'm Like Forget this I'll just be my own person not an immitator.

I'm a guy that doesn't get somali women ar all. I look at my somali sisters and they just hate, I mean come on sisters whats up with that? A sister talks to a group of sisters and once she leaves everyone is talking about how she's ugly and stupid. Are you sisters raised to be haters or what. Finding a somali girl who's not a hater is almost impissible.

In a hadith by Prophet Muhammad sallalahu Alayhi wayasalam, He said that your just giving away your good deeds to the person your talking about. SO it's like your opening your account and just giving away your income. And if you run out of good deeds to give them, then you will take some of their bad deeds and carry it with you.

So watch what you say about others peoplpe. It's going to be deducted from your account.

Hope this helps.

Assalamu Alaykum.

well let me tell you my story when i came to canada i was so happy that i would have to idea with somali again . i don't hate somali but i was mad every mad . (back home i was going to start a new school wear new inform i was so happy to start the white shirt inform and leave the yellow shirt inform i don't know i u guy remember it). but now iam in unveristy at northern part of ontario in canada and where i am studying no somali person live.....i found out that i listen to somali songs told my mom to send some somali clothes and she made me som oodkac and every week i eat canjeero....i spoke speak somali often but when i call home i talk in somali only i don't care if any one looking about me....so weird

i miss somali very much go to somali website and collect song and picture and i forget would to read but i try to learn...i u knew me 10 month ago u would thought is this the same person .....i believe every one has story about why they don't want to remeber...only thing that i hope is to get over it b4 it is too later

like friend i know....she even change her name to western name........

Hibo   

My assumption is our culture is not as deeply rooted as the cultures of other societies. Maybe our parents didn't emphasize enough on retaining the traditions.

To me it seems like, the more the yrs accrue, the more components we loose of our culture. I can't seem to find any cause as to why this happens but certainly its there. I see it around me.. n I feel it inside me, but yet I can't touch base with it. Its indeed sad.

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress