Sign in to follow this  

Somali Literature

Hello.

I am very interested in Somali literature and would like to ask if there are any books on it (preferrably in English). Or classic pieces by great Somali writers. Can anyone suggest anything? I am not very much into Somali poetry (I pretty much understand nada of it, and I am more into contemporary poetry). But any information on Somali novels or short stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Taliban   

Originally posted by The children of crappy poetry:

Can anyone suggest anything?

Many years ago, I used to read "Wadhaf Iyo Shimbiro War Isuma Hayaan" on Xiddigta Oktoobar newspaper. I am not sure if it's in publication, but it's a story I recomment it.

I suggest you read one of the greatest somali poems ever written which is 'Kana Siib Kana Saar' by Cabdulaahi Suldaan Timacaddeh. it is an pre-independence poem and is quite haunting in its ability to forecast the future.

other then that anything by Caraays Ciise is quite beautiful to listen to

A.J..Can you direct to any site that publishes his works. I have seen few, but all are incomplete. Amazing, how this man and many others forewarned the Somalis, but no one heeded his timely advice.

And does anyone know Abwaan Qaasim?