Sign in to follow this  
hodman

Unnecessary ESL requirements frustrate Somali students, parents

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^Adeer war ma jiro meeshaan duul cusub oo dhagala'a baa qabsaday. SOL has been loosing its elderly class. Castro and I are the
last standing levees
for preventing the sediments and other rubbishs that’re destined to deposit in SOL. Nur is camping in his confort place. Baashi geeliisaa boqol gaaray, oo salaanta xattaa waa nala dhaafa. Gabdhihiina intii ugu fiicnayd in la guursan rabo baan u malaynayaa oo si bay u socod yaryihiin
:D

war ma jiro; waa juuqla'a.

Adigu noo warran.

QixQixQix....Duulan cusub baa inoo imid imika miyaa? Waa iska caadi. At one time or another,we were newwbies[inkastoo this group ee Advanced yihin]marka waa iska caadi. Baashi wiligiisba san taag buu ahaa,ma ninka ka dhacay where the sun doesnt set[GreenLand beey dhahaan,waa adunka dabadii]. Nin geel badan umbaa halkaas ka dhaco.

Gabdhihiina intii ugu fiicnayd in la guursan rabo baan u malaynayaa oo si bay u socod yaryihiin

:D:D

hodman   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

quote:Originally posted by hodman:

Some school teachers, however, don't believe that there's an over-promotion of ESL. “If a child is exposed to a foreign language at home, regardless of where they're born, he or she will certainly have a deficit in vocabulary and therefore is recommended for ESL. †says Amy Olson, who teaches ESL at Nicollet Jr. High in Burnsville. She believes that most ESL students gain from it, but acknowledges that there might be a very small number who shouldn't have been there.

Whoa there guys! If someone can't read and speak english properly - it will soon become apparent. They will start failing - and reason would advise them to enroll in ESL But for teachers to arbitrarily decide what you know and where you belong is ridiculous. Look at that quote above - are you kidding me! What an arrogant biatch.
I wouldn't say that she is arrogant but that she needs to understand that kids have different needs and certainly like others mentioned the non-natives often have better English than their native peers. ESL is really a touchy issue especially when kids stay at the same level for a couple of years because they are not challenged.In time they become demoralised and give up. This has been said to be because the teachers have low expectations of these children to begin with. The other side of this argument is that kids hide behind being profiled and therefore put in little effort and their excuse is that the system is against them to begin with.

ESL classes might be benificial for the older new comers however I don't see its benifits for elementary school kids. Sadly in my city most of the Somali kids live in ethnic enclaves with uneducated parents and go to inner city schools, where they are unfairly streamlined into ESL right from the get go and stay in it indefinetly. I know of a Somali kid who had to do ESL all the way from grade 1 to 12.

-Lily-   

Surely the parent's have a say if their children will be in ESL classes? I know a lot of kids in the UK have the option but most Somali parents I knwo of feel that their kids learn better & faster in the normal classroom, that's usually the case.

Instead of ESL they should encourage reading programmes and writing competitions.

hodman   

Parents in the US have very little knowledge of what their options are and that is the root of the problem. Kids who are in ESL should not be there indefinately and like Lily said they would do better to be challenged in mainstream classes where they will be challenged by what they are being taught. In ESL they stagnate after a couple of years and don't care anymore as the material is too easy and too similiar too what they learnt before. This however does not apply to all kids.