Sign in to follow this  
underdog

Relax, Kuwait, you don't need any money

underdog   

Kuwait, US in oil dispute

Arab Times

March 18, 2005

KUWAIT CITY (AFP): The United States and its staunch ally Kuwait are locked in a dispute over Washington's failure to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for fuel supplies for its army, a parliamentary source said Wednesday. Kuwait is asking the United States to pay some $500 million for fuel it supplied to the US army after the US-led war on Iraq two years ago but Washington has said it would pay less than one-third of the amount, the source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The London-based pan-Arab newspaper Al-Hayat said Wednesday that the dispute was disclosed a few days ago by Islamist MP Nasser al-Sane during a meeting with his voters. Sane said that before and during the Iraq war, Kuwait supplied the US army with fuel worth $450 million free of charge, its contribution to the overthrow of the regime of Saddam Hussein.

Supplies continued after the war and the country recently demanded payment of $500 million after calculating the amount at a preferential price of $21 a barrel, Sane was quoted as saying. US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld responded with a tough-worded letter saying that Washington had liberated the country from Iraqi occupation in 1991 and because it enjoys a fiscal surplus, there was no need to demand the payment.

Annoyed by the harsh response, the Kuwaiti government summoned US Ambassador Richard LeBaron in protest. Later, the US administration offered to pay seven dollars a barrel, Sane added. Sane's account was confirmed by the parliamentary source who said that Kuwait may soon dispatch the foreign and energy ministers to Washington to settle the dispute. Some 25,000 US troops are stationed in Kuwait which also served as a launchpad for the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

NB: Current price of oil is $58 a barrel

bilan   

it is funny really,because they are enjoying surplus and their economey is good, they should not demand their own money. but that is what they get from supporting the war.

HA HA HA!!!!@ KUWAIT

Kuwait is a country full of USELESS rich arabicans.

Kuwaitians LET MONEY $$$$ talk for them.

Nothing more nothing LESS

However LOOK @ use Somalians 2....

We don't KNOW how to Control OUR own country.

AAAWWWW

HELP SOMEONE!!! YA ALLAH!

i just did my gas expense this week! and its over $100.00!

guess what! i am forking 4 some kuwait old sheik's vigras bill who cant get up no more!! cuz he gotta have a virgin every thursday nite!!

i betta off importing a donkey for xamar!! i am pissed pres!! :mad: :mad: 3 dollas a gallon!! in la that wacks me off!!