Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Feeling Blue?

hodman   

Really and truly, I think depression is for the white folks. How can a somali differentiate himself/herself from all others and confess they are feeling the so called "blues"...that's BS, especially when we all departed from africa. There's no such thing as depression, it's a depressive disorder that we put among ourselves to believe in

That was a joke right??..No?Why would it be a white folks disease :confused: That has to be the most racist of comments :mad: and are you denying it existance or are all those affected Somalis just seeking attention?Is depression unheard of in Africa or is it something in our skin tone that makes us immune?

I guess that's why people don't get the help they need on time when people like you are in denial that it is even there.Wake up and take a look around at all those affected and you just might learn a thing or two.

Shyheim   

that is not a racial comment, it's called being real. How many adaan folks are hidden away in their basement feeling depressed, making up "kill" lists to feed their disorder? When i say it's for the white folks, maybe if you was a well-informed reader, you would've understood that it meant, as somali's we should handle it better considering the circumstances we were brought up in.

hodman   

How about all the horrible things alot of us went tru.Don't they make us alot more likely as depression candidates?Guess you haven't seen somalis of all ages being more and more depressed now.Staff at the HCMC in Minneapolis have quite a few interesting stories in this regard also schools where kids end up being labelled all kinds of special-ed simply because we have a phobia of therapy.At least the cadaans get help while we pretend it's not even there until it escalates out of control.

Shyheim   

I'll take this to a religious point of view. As muslims, we just have to keep faith and accept allah's plans. The adaan people have no deen, therefore they seek other humans to cure them or even a bottle of heineken. Why most of us GROWN people and in most parts of the world that i've travelled to, don't allow depression to reach us is because they say alhamduillah and they socialize within their own community over khaat, etc to avoid it. Your in minnesota, maybe it's different there. But all in all, i'm not here to debate babygurl, i do respect your thoughts though, kapeesh!

hodman   

No debate here bro just an exchange of views.Why wouldn't you be prepared to be questioned about your views when you post them on a public forum?That does not mean that I don't respect or appreciate your views.

Modesty   

Medication for depression is already a billion dollar industry. I think many people are on medication to treat depression because the pharmaceutical companies are shoving all these get happy ads down their dried out throats. Even though some medication I'm assuming might help with certain depressions, I feel that it might be better to start helping yourself. Everyone feels blue, it's a natural thing. One of my secrets when I feel blue is to visit people I love instead of being by myself and thinking about it. It really helps.