Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Feeling Blue?

Castro   

I wrote this in another Somali forum on Jan 16 1996. I'm sure it's still as relevant now as it was then. May be more.

Are you depressed?

Almost everyone gets depressed at times. Most of us have periods when we feel sad, lethargic, and not interested in any activities, even pleasurable ones. Depression is a normal response to many of life's stresses. Among the situations that most often precipitate depression are failure at school or at work, the loss of a loved one, and the likes. Most depression episodes last for a few hours, and sometimes for a few days, but when it (depression) is out of proportion to the event that caused it, and it lasts for weeks, there is cause for concern.

As Somalis who live in countries other than our own, the chances of getting depressed are higher than average. Living in a foreign country with a different culture, not speaking the language very well, the cruel weather, and hardships in finding decent employment are the major culprits of depression among Somalis. That, along with feelings of loneliness and the instability that family members live in back home, is usually enough to drive the average person to the edge, or even further.

The reason I'm bringing up this issue is simple. In the town I live in, namely Ottawa, there is an estimated 13,000 Somalis, and in a recent visit to a mental health institution, I was told, but I could not confirm it, that there are well over 150 Somalis in the region who are institutionalized for one mental illness or the other. The majority of cases are suffering from a severe depression. I was also told that the ages of the patients spanned all age groups, from teenagers to middle age and old age, and both sexes were represented. A simple guess would reveal that there are many more who need medical attention, and either don't know how to get it or don't know they're sick.

So I did some research, along with some personal experiences, I have managed to get a list of the symptoms of depression. Not all symptoms occur in one person, of course, and not in the same degree. The severity of feelings and the duration they exist are good indicators of depression. The symptoms are:

1. Feelings of sadness and dejection.

2. Having crying spells for little or no provocation.

3. Irritability and quick anger.

4. Self-blame for one's failures in life.

5. Loss of gratification or pleasures in life.

6. Loss of interest in acitivities, even with friends and family.

7. Loss of affection for other people even the closest.

8. Loss of self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy.

9. Pessimism and hopelessness about the future

10. Feelings of inability to change one's future to the better.

11. Loss of motivation.

The physical symptoms include:

12. Loss (or increase) of appetite. Extreme fluctation in weight.

13. Sleep disturbances. Either too much or too little sleep.

14. Fatigue and loss of energy with the least effort.

15. Magnifying of aches and pains and even complaining of "imaginary" illnesses.

16. Constant worry about one's health.

17. Increase in use of drugs, such as Qaad, and alcohol.

And finally,

17. Thoughts, and even attempts, of suicide

Most depressive episodes are of relatively short duration and will go away, with or without treatment. Also, a small percentage of people remain chronically depressed even with

treatment. But in the majority, if not all, of cases, there is a simple treatment and it's covered by the health insurance of most provinces in Canada.

In our culture it's customary to dismiss mental health issues until the person "uu marada tuuro" and phrases such as "shaydaanka iska naar oo so tuko" are quite common. Although the healing powers of prayer and meditation are documented,

sometimes, as God said in the Qur'an, one has to seek medical attention. Also, since there is no equivalent for depression in our language per se, and that a person is either sane or he/she

is "qac", we have to overcome the stereotypes and stigmas attached to mental illness and mood disorders.

So, if you think you are suffering from one or more of the above symptoms, and have been suffering for a while, or you know someone who is, then it is best to seek medical attention. One visit to your family physician is, usually, all it takes to clear things out. You might be sent to a psychiatrist, but that's the beggining of the end of your depression, or a loved one's.

Stay healthy.

My neighbour is always seeing enemies everywhere he looks.He even called me one not too far back and i decided to avoid him.Can i assume this is one depressed brother?

Maf Kees   

I have my blue moments. I found out that prayers and talking to your friends are the best remedies. Once you know that you are protected by God and you have people by your side at all times, it's very hard to still feel very depressive.

Castro   

^ That's true. Though a depressive bout lasting 3 months or more probably won't be alleviated with talking to friends and family. In fact, if it lasts that long, you won't talk to friends and family any more. There are signs of the severity that should be heeded.

^ The worst thing is the stigma people attach to this situation. Some avoid the health system altogether just because of the stigma our people attach to it to the point where they hit rock bottom and eventually end up there worse than ever before.

If one is sick, one should dare to seek their cure no matter what! Just like when you are hungry, you would wanna look for sustenance to live no matter what.

"As Somalis who live in countries other than our own, the chances of getting depressed are higher than average. Living in a foreign country with a different culture, not speaking the language very well, the cruel weather, and hardships in finding decent employment are the major culprits of depression among Somalis. That, along with feelings of loneliness and the instability that family members live in back home, is usually enough to drive the average person to the edge, or even further"

--that is so true.

Castro   

Originally posted by GEEL-JIRE:

^ The worst thing is the stigma people attach to this situation. Some avoid the health system altogether just because of the stigma our people attach to it to the point where they hit rock bottom and eventually end up there worse than ever before.

The hope is a sizeable majority has grown up here now and is capable of removing that stigma. Not only for themselves but for the older people in their lives who resist change. Unfortunately, there are no studies in our community to show the rates of depression. If there were, I'd not be surprised it is extremely high. The effects of this are staggering. They range from child abuse to domestic violence to dropping out of school (or university). Very high prices to pay for something that could be handled with minimal intervention.

One of the simplest things that people neglect is the effect of sunlight (or the lack of it). Most of us were born right around the equator. To move to the 49th parallel and further north is just not normal for us. So in addition to foreign, often hostile, countries, it's cold, dark and depressing. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is something that can easily cripple a normally vibrant person. Worse yet, it occurs during the school year when young people should be most occupied with school work. So while we wait on our sunny countries to join civilization, it would help to take care of these issues now.

Castro   

^ Admitting to oneself, and to those who care about you, without any feelings of shame is the very first step on the road to a sound body and mind. I tip my hat off to you. I've no doubt many, many more than you can imagine are in the same boat, or a worse one.

Depression and my maryooley peeps, war nagadhaa, walaahi dheh. I always thought Somali people had too much dynamism and pride to let depression to hold them down. But guess I forgot they are humans after all. There are those blue moments – nothing a good shah won’t mend. No medicine can cure depression – but prayer and faith would do wonders. I pray for those and hopefully they will have nothing to be depressed about.

Ameeeeen dheh!

Muhammad   

I was working the night and it snowed, more than 6". I was on the freeway and just after I changed into another interstate on my right, the front-left tire of the car went over an area that was covered thick with snow, and I suddently lost control of the wheel.

the car turned 90 degrees and faced the other direction, but luckily it stoped on the other lane just few inchs before hitting the side curb or falling off to the street bellow.

couple of 8 wheelers passed me, and had my car stopped on the same lane, there was no chance for them to stop or change direction.

I putted my gear back to P, started the car, changed to reverse and went back to my lane. After I came home, I made wudu and prayer two rak'ats.

life is precious, live it wisely.

be grateful you are breathing!

^^^Life is precious indeed. Muhammad good of you, that you have expressed gratitude to your Maker after that experience. Fact remains that very few of us would remember to do that.

Today is a day of heavy snow in this portion of the Midwest region. This storm is expected to dump about 7’-10’ of snow within the next 48hrs. Though I have the option to work at home, I still decided to commute and it took me one hour. Not bad. The freeways were in a good condition, a lot better than I expected it would be.

Drive safe and stay warm.

M,I know u're trying to help. But if a depressed person read your last words they'd be nothing more than annoyed, that is if they hadn't reached the point of numbness. I'm glad u're OK.

I'm feeling a little blue right now. Reading a lot of Quran- it's helping, and counting my blessings: I have this, that, the other and...this works too. I'm not very good at telling others I'm feeling vulnerable. It doesn't go with the look. They want to see me smiling, making them laugh, hear fighting-talk, and tales of my adventures. Brave they call me. Feel like a worm today. I was just want to lie down somewhere dark and be still.

I'm going to start looking into doing something useful for somebody other than myself. Too much worrying about me always leads to blue clouds gathering. Alhamdulilah, I am blessed.

If u're feeling depressed, get help. It can happen to any of us.