Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Feeling Blue?

aLL this depression talk is already making me depressed. :(

I feel sorry for you guys. I can only pray for all the depressed folks.

Castro;Atheer snow,in itself is very depressing.

Brother Muhammad;glad you are ok

Castro   

Sheh signed: Hurdo la'aantu waa biyaaj

In addition to being a biyaaj, it's often a symptom of a larger problem. With disrupted sleep comes missing school or work and further deterioration in those areas. There my also be a dependency on sleeping pills to force one to sleep. The deterioration of school or work life leads to further blues. A vicious cycle really.

LoL. Life is a viscious cycle, mate. I'm seeing a bloody pattern in mine and I want a change. I'm now sleeping like a baby and scheming like a minx. It'll work itself out. :D

Castro   

Denial has its beginings in the large Ugandan lake Victoria. It reaches the Mediterranean to the north. A large river that runs through Egypt. icon_razz.gif

Muhammad   

^ Friedman TM :D

supersonic, mcpharax, sheh grazies amigos.

M,I know u're trying to help. But if a depressed person read your last words they'd be nothing more than annoyed, that is if they hadn't reached the point of numbness.

sorry for annoying u ina adeer

glad your not at the numbness state yet. :D

hodman   

Muhammad Alhamdullilah that you are ok.Minneapolis and its snow!!!The wado was horrible shalay.

Not seeing the brilliant sunlight that I took for granted back home is depressing.All it takes to snap me out of it is the sunlight regardless of it being -20 degrees.As a community we do need to take the stigma out of depression.Surprisingly even those of us who should be more tolerant like the more educated or even those who work in hospitals think that Somalis shouldn't be depressed,which is really wierd,since its not a joke and can really cripple someones life if they don't get help.Yes, we do believe in Allah and we should pray and take our loved ones as our support team to help but we should be willing to seek help when we can't handle it.The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem and that this is not just caajis going on and on over weeks.

Originally posted by Castro:

Denial has its beginings in the large Ugandan lake Victoria. It reaches the Mediterranean to the north. A large river that runs through Egypt.
icon_razz.gif

Didn't know the F stood for Freud.

Feeling a little blue doesn't make me depressed. I should know, I've covered the entire blue-end of the rainbow in my time.

Baluug   

I've never experienced depression Alxamdulillah, and Insha Allah never will, so I can't really comment, but I'll say this much. What excuse does anyone really have to be depressed? Insha Allah we have food on our tables, a table to actually put our food on, and a place to live where we can put our table and our food, Alxamdulillah. There are kids in Somalia right now who have no parents because they were killed and the kids recruited to kill for khat, they don't even get paid money. We need to stop and think about what we have and thank Allah SWT that we are not in the same predicament that many other people are facing right now.

Castro   

^ It's an illness, atheer, not kibir. In fact the misery and destitution you mentioned in Somalia is the very trigger of depression in many expats. And no, prayer and meditation do not alleviate the serious cases. So which part of "it's a disease" do you not understand, good Liibaan?

Pacifist   

Great thread Castro

Just an FYi the med can be helpful but can also be addictive. Paxil, Wellbutrin are helping alot of people. Their is also prozac and zoloft although these meds have been decreasing on prescribtions doctors are giving to patients. I would recommend seeking therapy instead of the meds they do have side affects.

Castro I would also like to add to the list Job burnout depression. Job burnout is not the same as depression. But the two are closely related.

Job burnout is a condition that involves three clusters of symptoms:

1.emotional exhaustion

2.depersonalization

3.reduced personal accomplishment.

Job burnout can be a viscous downward cycle.

Emotional exhaustion is the experience of feeling drained of all energy or all used up. When people begin to experience emotional exhaustion they may try to reduce the emotional stress of working with other people by detaching from others. They commonly begin to maintain an emotional distance from others.

This detachment can be expressed by an indifferent attitude toward others. People experiencing job burnout may have hostile, critical interactions with others. It is also common for a burned out person to view others as objects or numbers. Withdrawing from others is a frequently response.

Another common response to job burnout is for the burned out person to try to reduce his or her workload. This may be done by avoiding work, absenteeism, doing the bare minimum when at work, not doing certain tasks that are experienced as more stressful and spending more time doing other tasks that are considered less stressful.

For more info click on the source

Source

Castro   

^ Thanks atheer. I strongly believe awareness is the best weapon. Once awareness exists, people can help themselves and those around them.

-Lily-   

I first learned about it a few years ago in my A level Psychology class. I was unfortunate enough to have been depressed in the past, but nothing major. It helps if you know the signs, so you can work on changing the situation before it gets too bad. Sometimes its just winter blues, or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), common in winter, because of lack of natuarl sun light. I think it helps if you have someone trustworthy to talk with, or if you cant maybe your GP can refer you to someone, and it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist unless it is quiet serious clinical depression. There different forms and different levels to depression. From feeling blue, to being so depressed you cannot get out of bed or you simply loose the will to carry on living.

It doesn't mean you are ungrateful, you can be depressed and have everything. That's where the shame comes in, why should you be depressed when there is no 'reason' for you to be.

I think it is sad how depression is downplayed, and it IS still a big taboo in our culture.

Castro   

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

It doesn't mean you are ungrateful, you can be depressed and have everything. That's where the shame comes in, why should you be depressed when there is no 'reason' for you to be.

You hit the nail on the head. Besides the cultural taboo, it is difficult for anyone to understand that having "everything" in life is no deterrent to depression. Financial hardship, school difficulty or family problems do trigger depression. But in certain cases, depression is present without any trigger at all. Those are the difficult cases. As long as people are aware though, they're closer to seeking help than those who aren't.

Shyheim   

I believe depression is a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity. Really and truly, I think depression is for the white folks. How can a somali differentiate himself/herself from all others and confess they are feeling the so called "blues"...that's BS, especially when we all departed from africa. There's no such thing as depression, it's a depressive disorder that we put among ourselves to believe in. There's people right now left hostage who are told they will die in a given time limit. How does that truly feel! I can agree that sometimes we all feel down and out, but we get up again and just continue to breathe, cause we're privelaged by ALLAH.