Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Trekked the Sahara Desert yet?

Paragon   

This is has been a secret dream of mine from childhood. I somehow felt spiritually drawn to N.Africa's Sahara desert. Till a year or so ago, it remained just that, a dream. But lately my yarning is growing ever more rapidly and I am seriously considering the trek.

So, I would like to ask you fellow forumers, whether any of you has been fortunate enough to spend time trekking in that desert? I mean journey through parts of it- walking or on camel?

Thanks

N.O.R.F   

Saxib its funny you should ask. I have been dreaming of making such a trip for years but on a grander scale. West Africa to East Africa then on to Arabia. I think it would be great. Ghana, up to Senegal, across Mali, into Nigeria then Chad?, up through Libya and Sudan, across the red sea and into the KSA, up to Baghdad, then Damascus, then Beirut then Jerusalam and back to Cairo.

The perfect trip forget all these trips to lala land most people seem to be interested in.

All those places are on my radar (Cairo has already been done) but west africa is calling out loud.

Paragon   

^^Maasha-Allah. Thanks for the link bro.

On trekking the Sahara, glad to know of your ambition sxb. Don't think I haven't contemplated the trek as you mentioned above. I did. But I thought for the first time, a pilot route would be fine. Then when one is equiped with experience, the grander plans can be implimented smile.gif .

PS: I wouldn't want to cross the middle east north. Africa would do just fine, from cairo to capetown.

Paragon   

^^ I am a big fan of Michael Palin ..hell yeah I am.... Been watching Machael Palin's New Europe few days ago. The man is a legend in his own life time.

PS: Insha-Allah will let you know when sxb. Lol@permission. You better! :D

N.O.R.F   

Micheal Palin is a legend and has the best job in the world! Around the world in 80 days was a firm favourite in our family. We watched all of the weekly programmes. He made it in 78/79 days (i think) only to come back to the BBC office with no one there to welcome him LoL. They didnt think he would make it.

Then there was West to East Across Africa and Pole to Pole (north pole to south pole through Africa).

Since we have the English, Somali and Sawahili languages covered we need an Arabic speaker.

Paragon   

North, now that I am fed, how about this for a line up: Egypt, Libya, Niger, Mali, , Mauritania, Senegal, Guinea, Ivory Cost, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo (Braseville) a boat ride from there to Angola, Nambia and finally South-Africa (cape-town).

Of course there is another more direct route than this, which doesn't include west african counries. This route starts from Cairo (Egypt), Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawai, Zambia, Namibia (in the place of Zimbabw) and finally the Cape (South Africa).

The latter route is more convenient for most people. Actually as I recall it, there use to be cyclists who often use this route throughout the year.

When you two say trekking do you mean like Footing(as we Africans say?). Do you have the slightest idea of what lies ahead of you? From Cairo to Capetown? Thats like,err..ummm...froom North to south,LOL.

Waad iga geesisantihin walle...I will pass,i have delicate feet :D

Paragon   

^^Lol. Ma sidan baad wiil-waamo ku tahay. Go'shinoow bal wiilkan dhowra :D .

PS: Farax; I'd prefer walking some of part of it..especially the desert areas...but I am not sure of North.

Originally posted by Paragon:

^^Lol. Ma sidan baad wiil-waamo ku tahay. Go'shinoow bal wiilkan dhowra
:D

PS: Farax; I'd prefer walking some of part of it..especially the desert areas...but I am not sure of North.

Exactly dee. I know waxan ka hadlaayo;Waxaan rafaad iyo kaxar soo maray markan yaraa,laisocodsiin jiray Bila Kupenda(against my wish :D )ma anoo,free ah aa dhibataa isku geynaya?

Adeer,as you know,that terrain is one heck of a terrain. Now,i will,however take a Landrover and roam that damn desert anytime, I love rough terrains & driving...Reminds me back home smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

^^Obviously not trekking all the way Faraxow. A combination of camel, foot, landcruiser and boat. What say you are you up for it?

Paragon, the first trip is prefered. Having said that Africa is Africa so precautions must be taken and alot of money is required (for bribes etc).

Malika   

North is this offer stictly for men only? Can a sister join in?

With me,I would bring in contacts,and knowledge of certain countries in East/Central/Southern Africa....what say?