Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Why do some succeed where others fail?

STOIC   

What does Mozart, Bobby Fischer and any overachiever like Bill Gates have in common? They all put a lot of time in their choosen profession (and practice was prerequisite of their achievements). Michael Gladwell one of my favorite journalist describes in this video why do some people succeed while others fail? According to Gladwell one must put ten years of deliberate practice in their chosen profession to become an expert in their field.He calls this the 10,000 hour rule.I am big fan of Gladwell’s idea of practice makes perfection.I believe one must work hard in order to raise the standard of their work.I agree with Gladwell that it takes practice (lots of practice ) for one to internalize the rules and procedures of ones profession whether one is a medical doctor or a teacher.The mind has to be stocked with a lot of hours before one can be good in his profession.In America a Surgeon takes up to six to seven years after medical school.A fighter pilot puts a lot of flying hours before dropping bombs.You only learn things by putting the time.

B   

Of course, this is relative. My friend success has a different meaning to different people. We must not be subsumed under the benchmark of the white man's ideas of what constitutes success.

There is no universalised idea of success. This is a notional thought. Success must be understand in terms of our own culture because our principles, beliefs and notions of human nature are different to Mr Gladwell outlook.

STOIC   

B,

I believe you are young bright man.Explain to me What does the white man got to do with your success? Unless you are content with mediocrity I think Malcolm message is hitting home with every community. If you have listened to the video till the end you will realize that he talks about cultural upbringing and set of believes that determines the success of people. If you are familiar with his writing you will realize that he brings home the argument of culture playing significance role in ones success for example in one of his stories he tells us the story of Jewish immigrants in Garment town in New York where the Jews worked during the early days. Though discriminated their kids turned out to be one of the most successful lawyers due to their cultural up-bringing of propensity to succeed.

Rayyan   

Stoic, The word is love - you must love what you doing, desire is the word, then you can practise million hours without boredom. practice always makes perfection. i will watch when i got time for the video. waan sii cararayaa. gotta shoot down

B: good to see Monseiur B, taking the world by the nose. Xaasidiintu ha dhacdhow - down with the xaasidiin.

Success is relative indeed, cannot be measured by money,fame nor even professional success only.

But i gues hard work is must and am sure most people know that, u get in return what u put in.