Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Somali myths

Senora   

LOL@ Checkmate

I just rememberd another one...my mom use to tell me when i was in Chicago, that I should never throw out the trash after Maghrib...because then good things and blessings will never come to you...i.e:Money....

She told me to never vacuum or sweep the floor after Maghrib either...come to think of it, she told me that I should never go anywhere after Maghrib......LOL....But I'm not really sure why she said that i couldnt do these things...

lol   

_If your shoes get crossed when you remove them, you will be traveling

_ If your feet itch your are travelling too ( They have been itching the past two years, I have been travelling like crazy.. I want to rest no more itches plzzz )

x_quizit   

"am i the only who captured this, isn't something wrong with this statement. cajaa'ib, but what were u doing sitting with men in the same bed. maxaa kula fadhiisiyay haduusan aheen husband kaaga."

What can i say if u werent born with a personality? instead of a makeover, i nominate u for a personality makeover!!! How sad to live to 8 and u still don't have a sense of humour..let me know when u find it in the playground.. icon_razz.gif

posted bt try_me

( They have been itching the past two years, I have been travelling like crazy.. I want to rest no more itches plzzz )

xaajiyo waxay ila tahay is aad socdaalka badan iska joojisid oo aad dakhtar aadid sida ugu dhaqso badan maxaa yeeley lugahaaga fangas ayaa dhiig ka keenay by now :D:D caafimaad comes first. intaas waxaa ii sii dheer in aadan iga xanaaqin waayeel kafatn badan aan ahay... asxantu

Paragon   

My mom told me once that her mom and grnamother use to tell her that if she sat in the same bed with a man, she would get pregnant.....my mom told me that she believed that until the year before she got married....but then again she was only 16 then...

LoL we call that traditional contraceptives.

When someone snores put a shoe under their pillow lol.

Never spit in the toilet, you will get tonsils - or sorethroat.

For your shoe to face upside-down brings disasters to your welfare.

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

x_quizit about the chicken business I think this one actually has some basis to it. People say that it's caused by the fact that these western countries pump so much hormones in them to make them grow bigger fast. These hormones may cause hairiness (BTW don’t quote me on this, I ain’t no doc)

Gediid that’s the most logical explanation so far.

Still with all these gimmicks to keep us young ladies off the good things in life (i.e. shaah) I still love going against such customs. But I think the one about falling pregnant just by sitting on the same bed with a man was a smart one and the only one which although I know isn’t true I’ll convince my own kids that too, loool, just to be safe lool.

Arwa   

I don't remember much at the moment but, i got to say that most somali parents somehow the myths they brought their kids upon are semi-Islamic correct..

For example, my mum used to tell us off when we were kids if we sleep in our rooms after we ate there and forgot our plate of left over that contained bones lying there!

She used to tell us that its the Jinn's and shayaateens food! am not sure why mum personally used to say that but i think she used to say that just to teach us to clean our own mess!

I have actually learnt that her warnings were correct and that indeed the Jinn's food is bones :eek: so alxamdulilah am glade in away that what they claim sometimes is correct.

Also one more thing that am not so sure about how correct it is, was if my mum ever caught us wearing our cloths upside down she'd yell out for us to change it otherwise qalbadiina ayaa qalibmanaysa (our hearts will turn)

Salaam

44.gif

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Lemme explain where the idea of Shaah is bad for women came from.

In the good old days of the real nomads,tea was a precious item bought from faraway places and availible only to a few.It was only served when guests came to visit.To stop women from drinking it they simply said shaah is bad for women and that was the end of it.Till recently women believed in it.Twisted old men so maaha.....
smile.gif

Twisted indeed, if thats true that is :D

Gediid where does this 'myth' or Somali tradition that we are not supposed to eat most internal organs of animals originate? We can eat kidney but not heart, we can eat liver but not lungs and intestines and necks are for ladies only ;) . Most of my uncles never ate chicken and fish to them was like eating snake. Not even Arabs have these 'traditions' let alone other Africans. Maybe these little politically/religiously-incorect 'myths' are the only things that show our unique Somali heritage and identify who we really are.