Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Skirt too long to please employer

Originally posted by Seekknowledge:

Nothing is wrong with them. I just don't like the Tent uniform for somali ladies and nice abayas for their own women. Man why arab women never wear those tents? cause our somali salafi sheikh trainees have no sense of fashion.

You've a point there; however, don't blame Carabta. Blame Soomaalida waxee maqlaan, walina hubsan inay iska aaminaan. They are not dad wax aqriyo, rather dad i maqalsii ah oo maqal jecel. Hebel baa yiri saas iyo heblaayo baa tiri saan.

Jilbaab is fashionable nowadays, especially the last seven years aad ugu faafay; hopefully dabeesha ayee raaci doontaa as with others.

Now, dad baa soo ordi doono inta ku jiro, accusing inaa wax ka sheegay xijaab, as though xijaab and jilbaab were the same. If I say something about garbasaar, none will take an umbrage, yet markii jilbaab wax laga sheego shini camal usoo aruuro.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

she should have just wore the slacks, this is not the Riyadh airport

u mean she is dowladiid nooh? :D

Fabregas   

Nothing is wrong with them. I just don't like the Tent uniform for somali ladies and nice abayas for their own women. Man why arab women never wear those tents? cause our somali salafi sheikh trainees have no sense of fashion.

So according to you no Arab women never wear tents(jalabeeb) and only Salafees sheikhs encourage women to wear jalabeeb? I guess Niqaab is also because of Salafee Sheikhs and wahabism?

Khayr   

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

To some extend, haa, but not when the person taking the job is aware of the policy and procedure of their employer and yet accepts the job with head in first, c'mon now. No one told her to adjust her own skirt, you either wear the length that is suitable for her work

I don't know how easy jobs come up for you but I know for alot of miniorities and in particular - Muslims, its difficult. Unless ofcourse, you are willing to sell your soul completely! i.e. shave beard, take off hijab, change your name etc.

As for the issue with black abayas, its not a cultural thing. Wearing black for women is mustahab/preferred.

On a personal note, I think that the sister should be reasonable with her request. She can wear something like a shilwar khameez to her knees and pants underneath that. Thats very much acceptable and meets all the shariah requirements.

Sometimes are muslim brothers and sisters are a bit unrealistic in their expectations of others. If you can't attain what is mustahab/preferred, then it is sufficient to with the matrix of the shariah and often just do what is halal or allowable but not necessarily preferred. A little wisdom, tact and diplomacy should be applied.

Canada is not a Muslim country; you can’t expect person/nations to change all their ways/ regulations to accommodate you and your beliefs/needs I mean there is a limit to PC, if the employer demands a certain dress code for all their employees then who are you to demand otherwise? Everyone is wearing the same thing just because your Muslim does not mean you’re a special case you don’t like the rules you move jobs… I would love to know what was she wearing when she went for the interview suit with no scarf? Trousers perhaps? Mhh the whole thing stinks she can wear scarf but she demands more she can wear trousers but no she wants long skirt ( knowing most Somalis probably an ugly multi coloured one also )....so ungrateful

chubacka   

Its so sad when muslims hate on other muslims...the woman has worked there for 5 years (I am assuming served the company loyally) now all she wants is for her skirt to be lenghted a few inches who is that going to hurt exactly?

Why can they not make their precious skirts a little bit longer?

If she wants to fulfil her islamic obligations by asking for a small change in her uniform we should be 100% behind her.

Uff...what fantastic muslims we are.

Regulations are regulations; no ifs no but I mean their accommodating her with scarf & trousers why complain? Is she that special what about the others who are wearing the same thing as her? Why open a Pandora box, an employer can’t meet everyone religious expectations hence they accommodate some not others… there is a limit to this, Muslims should meet other non-Muslims half way and not expect everything to be done their way… don’t impose your belief on another who is clearly trying to meet you half way.

Ps this has nothing to do with hating on Muslims…

On a personal note, I think that the sister should be reasonable with her request. She can wear something like a shilwar khameez to her knees and pants underneath that. Thats very much acceptable and meets all the shariah requirements.

SS don't consider shilwar khamees and pants to meet the shariah requirement. Only Tents for somali women.

GJ show me an arab woman wearing a brightly colored tent. They even convinced people that this is our culture go figure

chubacka   

how will things eva change Clady if everyone accepts that dogma?

How is she imposing her beliefs onto others all she wants to do is wear a long skirt, lets keep things in perspective!

If you dnt ask how will you eva get anywhere or anything if all you say is "this is not a muslim country, therefor I cannot practice my religion here."

She is an employee and she has rights upon her employer, esp as she has been there for a long time. Really as a muslim I dnt understand how you cannot support her in trying to practice her religion at work.

Fabregas   

GJ show me an arab woman wearing a brightly colored tent. They even convinced people that this is our culture go figure

adeer, I don't want 2 go around spotting what Arab women wear, soo lama odhan lower the gaze de :D ? ps. Here in london Pakistanis, Arabs and other Muslims also wear "tents" but Somalis wear it the most.....

Tents are worn by those who prefer it and do it according to their beleifs. Tents meet hijaab requirement more than other hijaabs/jilbaabs.

Ps. Egyptians wear tents. look at Afghanistan woman! how about ciraqis!

You are generalizing ur view of arab woman? they do wear very stylish abayas in the khaleej which has nothing to do islamic dress code, their hair is bare up until dhakada so do u call that observing hijaab?

As for sister, I hope her requets are met. she has full rights to it despite uniform rules or employer restrictions. Am dissappointed at those who r advocating nudity here and stil call themselves muslims. why wear a knee leght skirt and bare ur body? May Allah guide you.

Ibtisam   

Seekknowledge clearly you should SEEk Knowledge. Spare us the rant. The rest of you should be ashamed of your self for calling the Jilabibs "tents" If it is not something you like, say that, but insults and belittling is not an option. I expect this kind of language from non Muslims, it is depressing to see so called "Muslims" with the same attitude. You should be defending those sisters that choice to wear/ cover not adding to their problems. :rolleyes:

This kind of attack the “Islam that is not mine” (sects) is boring and not needed, each to their own.

She has a right to practice her faith based on her requirments, and her job should meet these needs.

C Lady why do u wanna kno what she was wearing at the time of her interview 5 yrs ago? Does it matter? Allah guides, and she may have realised whe was on the wrong bath and making things right now.

The least u can do for her is support her otherwise jus mute

Hunguri   

:D after all your nick Cynical lady smile.gif says this!

Cynical smile.gif

1. like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others.

2. showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, esp. by actions that exploit the scruples of others.

3. bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic!