Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Saaddamm's trail ddivides Arabss

Khayr   

Salamz,

CAAIIRRO — Acrosss tthe Arrab wworld, some watched intently as Saddam Hussein went on trial Wednesday for crimes against Iraqis but others seemed not to care — a sign the former Iraqi leader still divides this region two years after his fall.

The region's influential satellite television networks, Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya, carried non-stop coverage starting hours before the trial began. Pan-Arab newspapers like al-Hayat also splashed the opening day on their front pages.

But Saudi Arabia's Arabic language-daily Al-Watan used the headline: "Saddam's Trial: No one cares" and added: "The curtains have opened, the cast is ready and the audience is busy with other issues. Even if we concede that the majority of Iraqis hate Saddam, they also hate how things have developed."

In Kuwait, which Saddam invaded in 1990, feelings in support of the trial ran strong.

"We have been waiting for this trial for a long time — not only us, but the Iraqi people and Iranian people as well," said Omar Al-Murad, a 43-year-old architect. "We say this is the end of every oppressor."

Many Palestinians also watched closely, but with the opposite view.

Weal Naser, a 42-year-old Palestinian owner of a Gaza vegetable shop, said Palestinians can never forget Saddam's past support for their cause. At the start of the Palestinian uprising against Israel, Saddam paid the equivalent of $15,000 U.S. to families of Palestinian suicide bombers, later raising it to $25,000 U.S.

"He supported the martyrs' families and he helped many students in Palestine or during their studies in Iraq," he said.

Saddam is "paying now the price for being a hero, for saying "No" to America and to (President George W.) Bush," Naser said.

"If the world wants justice, as they claim, they should bring Bush and (Israeli Prime Minister Ariel) Sharon to trial before Saddam."

Palestinian taxi driver Saed Souror, 32, was more ambivalent about Saddam but equally critical of the trial.

"I am not a Saddam supporter, but I am against this trial because it came upon American orders," Souror said. "If Saddam was a murderer, what can we call the American acts there?"

Egypt's state-owned press chose to mostly ignore the trial, with a few carrying small stories inside but none putting it on the front page.

Jordan's news media reported on Saddam's trial but provided no independent commentary or analysis, apparently to avoid stirring public anger already high because of opposition to the U.S. invasion.

A columnist in respected pan-Arab newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat said the trial has lost much of its meaning because of the bloody insurgency that now attacks Iraqis daily. Some of the worst terror attacks are blamed on al-Qaida in Iraq, led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"It should have been held when Iraqis' memory was full of images of humiliation and that of tens of thousands of the victims and handicapped of the wars," Lebanese columnist Samir Attallah wrote.

Instead,``Al-Zarqawi has erased from the minds and hearts all the past horrors. Innocent Iraqis used to die in prison and in their homes, now the occupation resistance is killing the Iraqi innocents and their children in the streets."

Inn Dubaii, the Gulff NNews paper said in an editorial that not just Saddam, but Iraq itself is on trial, to see whether its new government can rise to the occasion and give Saddam a fair hearing.

"Anything less will be a permanent scar upon Iraq and its

Is this really true?

What do nomads think of this?

Fi Amanillah

Asalaam Aleykum~

Another dictator going down disgracefully.

They should speed up the process, send him off to jail or some.

I really couldnt care less Tho'for some former Arab Dictator in a far away desert court sentenced by some Arab Judge.

I really Dont care. They messed up my morning Tv Show with all this Saddam "Trail" ;)

Laba-X   

Brown, he is not being put on trial by just 'some Arab judge'. The judge, Jury, prosecutors were all given intensive training in the United Kingdom to tackle Saddam!

I am not a Saddam supporter myself, but as Suroor said i am against the Trial itself! I believe in a fair trial, saddam wasn't even given time to prepare his defence adn recently met with the british QC.

While the Shia's adn the Kurds are quite happy that this trial is taking place, in his hometown, Saddam's supporters shown their allegiance by taking to the streets with placards. Some even were ready to put their lives down for him!

Wa-Salaam!

Brown, he is not being put on trial by just 'some Arab judge'. The judge, Jury, prosecutors were all given intensive training in the United Kingdom to tackle Saddam

Sure, I needed that lil' judicial trivia. Does it matter if he studied @ Oxford?. It has lil or no relevance to me as a somali. I got bigger issues than Saddam on my table smile.gif

Regardless of who is chaperoning this Gig here, The Old man and his cronies need to go to the Big House[Preferebly Abu Gharayb] :cool:

Kashafa   

"You live by the gun/ you die by the guns kids"

What else can you expect, So-Damn ? It's Death, baby, D-E-F.

I know that habaar was an issue with an earlier thread, so let me polish off mine and let it rip:

O Great Leader and Father of the Iraqi people, May your nights be filled with Abu Ghraib-like torture. May you die knowing that the two pearls of your eyes died like cornered rats, their bullet-ridden bodies beamed across the globe. Awwwwwwww. May you see the eyes of the victims in your sleep as they tell you: " We await you here in the Other World. You shall join us soon. Justice"

^^ All that sincerely said, You still have a chance at redemption while your heart still beats. Take the Shahadah, become a Muslim, and all of your atrocities whille be instantaneously forgiven.(You still have to answer for the victim's aspect. Only they can forgive you on that).

G'luck with your trial.

Khayr   

Salamz,

I cant help but to wonder

I can't help but to wonder

what stage this is set up for but rather to make a mockery of Muslims and Divide them up more and more.

Saddam is now considered the 'SUNNI' and the shia and kurd are considered the 'Liberated people'.

Since, was it more appropriate to call All those

followed Saddam in Iraq to be Sunni instead of

'Saddam's Supporters' redface.gif

The legend of 'Zarqawi' plays very, very well for

its co-authors!!!

Brown,

saxib, remember when you get stopped at the Airport or looked at strangely, it isn't solely because you are Somali but rather you fit the profile of a MUSLIM.

So any affairs dealing with Muslims, does impact you.

Fi Amanillah

I have to question the way that this trial is to look in the future.I`m not disputing the fact that he killed alot of people during his Reign, but why wasn`t he trialed at the I C J in haag. Most of the judges are shia and lets be honest they have the power at the moment. The fact that if he is found guilty he could be excuted. Most internation lawyers have said that trial was a mock trial similar to ones held after the fall of the USSR.

One Law lord called the invasion illegal, with that one becomes bit sceptic about this trial.

Muhammad   

in Indonesia they have what they call, 'Shadow Plays', the actors play behind a screen while the people watch their shadow's duel.

just the same old puppetry and shadow drama.

the most classical trick was, 'take their hats off', and show the world how 'generous' we are. :D

Originally posted by Khayr:

what stage this is set up for but rather to make a mockery of Muslims and Divide them up more and more.

Muslims can hardly blame others when they are the ones busy killing and dividing themselves.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Aeronwen:

quote:Originally posted by Khayr:

Muslims can hardly blame others when they are the ones busy killing and dividing themselves.
Is that right....interesting revelation

Check below article

KABUL — The U.S. military and the Afghan government said today they will investigate a TV report that claimed U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan burned the bodies of two Taliban fighters, taunting other Islamic militants. The U.S. military said it found the report "repugnant."

A spokesman for President Hamid Karzai said the government has launched its own inquiry.

"We strongly condemn any disrespect to human bodies regardless of whether they are those of enemies or friends," said Karzai spokesman Karim Rahimi.

Australia's SBS television network broadcast video that purportedly showed U.S. soldiers burning the bodies of the suspected Taliban fighters in the hills outside the southern village of Gonbaz, near the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar.

The network said the video was taken by a freelance journalist, Stephen Dupont, who told The Associated Press he was embedded with the army's 173rd Airborne Brigade earlier this month. Dupont said the burnings happened Oct. 1.

In the video, two soldiers who spoke with American accents later broadcast taunting messages that the SBS said targeted the village, which was believed to be harboring Taliban soldiers.

Dupont said the soldiers responsible for the loudspeaker broadcasts were part of a U.S. army psychological operations unit.

The U.S. military said the Army Criminal Investigation Division had opened an investigation into alleged misconduct that included ``the burning of dead enemy combatant bodies under inappropriate circumstances."

"This alleged action is repugnant to our common values," Maj.-Gen. Jason Kamiya said in a statement from the U.S. base in Bagram, Afghanistan. "This command takes all allegations of misconduct or inappropriate behaviour seriously and has directed an investigation into circumstances surrounding this allegation."

Islamic clerics warned protests may break out, though there was no sign of unrest by this afternoon. The last anti-American riots were in May and killed 15 people.

"This is against Islam. Afghans will be shocked by this news. It is so humiliating," said Faiz Mohammed, a Muslim leader. "There are very, very dangerous consequences from this. People will be very angry."

Gen. Mohammed Zahir Azimi, spokesman for the Afghan Defence Ministry, said those responsible must be punished.

Police in Shah Wali Kot district, where Gonbaz village is located, said hundreds of Taliban rebels are believed to be hiding in camps in the mountainous region.

"It is a near certainty that the Taliban will ambush vehicles in this area," said Abaidullah Khan, the district police chief. "We only go there with American forces. It's not safe otherwise."

According to a transcript of the television program, the broadcast by soldiers from the psychological operations unit called the Taliban "cowardly dogs."

"You allowed your fighters to be laid down facing west and burned. You are too scared to come down and retrieve their bodies," said one message, according to the transcript.

Muslims in Afghanistan face west, toward Mecca, when they pray. When the dead are buried, their heads point to the north, their feet to the south, and just their faces toward Mecca.

Cremation of bodies is not part of Islamic tradition, which calls for remains to be washed, prayed over, wrapped in white cloth and buried within 24 hours.

Dupont said the soldiers who burned the bodies claimed they did so for hygienic reasons. However, he said the incendiary messages later broadcast by the U.S. army psychological operations unit indicated they were aware that the cremation would be perceived as a desecration.

"They used that as a psychological warfare, I guess you'd call it. They used the fact that the Taliban were burned facing west (toward Mecca)," Dupont told SBS. "They deliberately wanted to incite that much anger from the Taliban so the Taliban could attack them.... That's the only way they can find them."

The SBS report suggested the deliberate burning of bodies could violate the Geneva Conventions governing the treatment of enemy remains in wartime. Under the Geneva Conventions, soldiers must ensure that the "dead are honourably interred, if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged."

Furthermore, the rules state that bodies should not be cremated, ``except for imperative reasons of hygiene or for motives based on the religion of the deceased."

If you were shown more of this on BBC, FOX news, CNN etc. more often,

would you have the same response!!!

we usually

DEFECATE

What we are fedddd with!!!!! ;)

^^ The US is just finishing what Muslims started a long time ago. You can hardly blame the vultures who come to feast on our dying carcass when we laid ourselves out for them.

Jacpher   

I don't think it divides Arabs more than it divides us had it been one of the warlords. We saw this week one of the warlords detained in Sweden and some of us were literally at each other's throat here in SOL. I saw no Arabs threatening each other for the arrest of Saddam. Unfortunately we're worst than them.

Saddam deserves whatever he gets whether death or life in prison. Saddam pulled the trigger and committed those horrible crimes, but didn't manufacture the weaponry. Those provided him with the means to commit such crimes and were cheering for him should be as much guilt as he is.

And one does not commit a crime intentionally knowing its magnitude and later repent. Towbah is for those who do sin in a state of ignorance.

Modern day humiliation, It's a clear message to all the Arab and Muslim leader!

It is all about that, Nothing more no less! Its neither about Sadam nor about the Iraqi victims but merely a signal to all who he dares say what against the west(America).