Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

Workaholic's Call!

See i like to start my sentences with the word "Well" so that I can feel positive about any issue I am addressing but lately there is nothing positive about how I am feeling towards my working hours. I took some test and they have identified me as a workaholic

Perhaps you could argue by knowing the problem in itself is a positive step...well..it is not! cos i have been aware of this problem for quite a while. I tell you if I had a wife she would have sought a divorce, if I had a pet it would have died of hunger and if you were under my care you would have looked like a malnutritioned ethiopian!

According to my self, accepting the fake reasoning/justification that I will reduce my working hours once a project ends was the easy way out... that doesn't cut it anymore

what is the best way to get out of such a habit? anyone who have similar issues? and DO NOT tell me about Workaholic Anonymous cos they won't be of any help to me...

Tell us how many hours do you work? do you take your work to home? do you feel you need to do this job to ensure it is done?

Cheers

I'm described as a workaholic too ,,,, i'm almost divorced of being giving too much attention to the work plus i'm classes to attend at the Univ and guess all the assignments i've to do.

No matter how long you work and no matter if the work is too over loaded but you have to always look the results. That will give you some relief at least so that you feel somehow comfortable of what you are doing.

Are you complaining of lack of money, did you build/buy a land/house either in the qurbaha or back in Somaliland/Somalia ? Can you buy what ou want? do you support a lot of people back home ? do you support a lot of people in the abroad ?

If you can answer all those questions positively then you are doing a great job and there no way you can regret what you're doing.

You just need to slow down ,, you need to think of a family and some other business so that you can convert at least some attention to the otherside.

Ibtisam   

^^^You are almost divorced due SOL, not WORK!!! :D

@ LOZ:

You need to learn to delegate work to others in your team or the people you manage. It is really a control issue, in that you do not trust anyone else to do as good job of things as you, or fear they might not get it done. Instead of chasing someone else to do it, you just rather do it your self. If this is the case take a crash course in management, I can suggest some online ones: they’ll teach you everything from motivating, to punishing to enslavement. IF that is not it, then you love and enjoy your work so much, that you want to be doing it 24/7, I cannot help you.

Otherwise you are just starting up and have a lot of ground work to do, and cannot afford a bigger team, in which case you can slave for a while, till you can get a bigger team.

Or do you work, because you have to? i.e. your external responsibility are too greate, or you looking to retire by teh age of 35, then yeah it is okay.

Why are you a workaholic, are you running away from other aspects of your life? Is it all that you have ever known, so you don’t know what to do with your self if you are not work…in which case get busy, find new hobbies, make some friends, sports, dancing etc.

Tell me WHY and I shall give you the solution. Tell me a bit more.

A former workaholic, I have fully recovered and now in the opposite extreme. :D

Malika   

JB a workerholic?? ..[JB,jokes hayee!]

*looking out the window to see if pigs are flying by* :D

Pardon,Zu

*leaves the thread,as the word workerholic means nothing to moi* smile.gif

And what is wrong with me being a workaholic ?? ,,, you can't be that serious , come on ,,

The time i spend on SOL is nothing comparing to what i do ,,, this is just a little time i'm trying to forget the work stress and having fun on SOL ,,,, nothing more ,,

I used to be a workaholic, now it is just not possible juggling school and a full time job.

I am currently working from home, so I do get alot of stuff done, that cannot be done in the office

school projects and work related projects side by side. and i don't venture out into the this damn cold weather as much

Gediid   

In my book a workaholic is normally one who has no life other than work or someone trying to run away from a bad spouse..... icon_razz.gif

-Lily-   

I fear you are a lost cause!

Have clear boundaries btw work and your time outside of work. Never take work home. Otherwise the best years of your life will pass you by under artificial light and a monitor.

^^^ Never do that sxb well done!

But my issue is a lost cause...instead of gorgoues xaliimo by my side in bed i have my work laptop and work files (i mean large files of paper)...After praying subax it is the first thing I do..and it is the last thing I do before I go to sleep. my daily and nightly hours vary from 12 - 14 hours plus weekends.

Gediid, It is no I like I do not have social acitivities nor am I running from a bad wife and that is why I have no clue how to tackle this issue. You can pretty much say I am waaay bussier than Messr. G W Bush. my 24 hours consist of juggling between social acitivities, work, family and community work.

Perhaps what I need is prioritisation, get rid of the things that are less important to me, or change job or request demotion! Something has to give!

Cheers

Originally posted by -Lily-:

I fear you are a lost cause!

Have clear boundaries btw work and your time outside of work. Never take work home. Otherwise the best years of your life will pass you by under artificial light and a monitor.

May be I am struggling to see the boundaries! Hoping things will change in married life.

Cheers

Malika   

Legend, are a perfectionist? or are you aiming to work hard now so to accumulate? ...or you just dont know how to say NO to the boss?