Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

Workaholic's Call!

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Legend of
Zu:

See i like to start my sentences with the word "Well" so that I can feel positive about any issue I am addressing but lately there is nothing positive about how I am feeling towards my working hours. I took some test and they have identified me as a workaholic

Perhaps you could argue by knowing the problem in itself is a positive step...well..it is not! cos i have been aware of this problem for quite a while. I tell you if I had a wife she would have sought a divorce, if I had a pet it would have died of hunger and if you were under my care you would have looked like a malnutritioned ethiopian!

According to my self, accepting the fake reasoning/justification that I will reduce my working hours once a project ends was the easy way out... that doesn't cut it anymore

what is the best way to get out of such a habit? anyone who have similar issues? and
DO NOT
tell me about
Workaholic Anonymous
cos they won't be of any help to me...

Tell us how many hours do you work? do you take your work to home? do you feel you need to do this job to ensure it is done?

Cheers

1]40-48hrs a week

2]Don't take work home, if there is a deadline, stay late and finish it.

3]Yes, but there is always tomorrow, either deligate or stay late.

Zu would you say you’re...

a] The workaholic that hides from life by consuming himself with work and clings to work as a lifeline….or

b] The Workaholic that is just passionate about their work that it’s almost a hobby and you can’t help yourself? though there are very few of those :D

Best way to get out of this habbit....Well you can start by taking up a hobby, something practical that requires you to be at certain place at a particular time atleast 2-3 times a week i.e. joining local football/basketball team, that way you have other commitments other than work.

-Lily-   

^^The man sounds busy enough. Legend, How about you start with no work at home and see how that works for few weeks?

Some ppl have to do something all the time...

Faheema.   

^lol, solves everything ey

Lily, didn't see his reply, yeah I agree don't take work home and start taking your time in the work you're given or deligate, some people like to do all the work in order to make sure it's done on time but that just consumes you, you need to let others take responsibilty.

"Tell us how many hours do you work? do you take your work to home? do you feel you need to do this job to ensure it is done?"

1. 30 hours a week

2. no i don't, as soon as I walk out of the door, i put my work behind me

3. not all the times, i enjoy more of teamwork, if i can do something better than anyone else, i pass my experiences along to the next people.

If someone has a short term goal which requires them to be workaholic for that period of time, I can see it be okay, but not for years upon years...I think a person should be balanced(family, friends, work)...And often those who are workaholic have some deep insecurities or worries which pushes them to constantly push themselves to do more...You just have to sit down with yourself and ask the question why are you doing this? what do you want our of your life? and once you priorities then it would be easy to step away from your desk without the tension...bee bye

Pujah   

I work 9-10 hours a day on average and take plenty of work home. Not because I like taking work home or I wouldn't know what to do with my self but it must get done. I spend the better part of my working hours in a useless meetings and the other part preparing for the said meetings - when all is said and done the day is either over or I am no longer inspired to do anymore work and waste the rest of the day on SOL.

So you see it becomes a must to log in from home and get some work done in the evenings.

I am not a workaholic though - Just blame it all on SOL :D

Ms DD   

De-clutter your workload Loz. Besides, what is the rush? What cant wait that you have to do right this minute? Why take paperwork to bed when there are far more interesting to be engaged with? Surely it isnt that important. When I used to work, I never used to understand the term "deadline". I always ask myself, "If I can do this tomorrow, why do it now, what is the rush". Although i was tempted to apply this attitude towards the worship of Allah, I got scaried I might die now than later.

Baluug   

Tell us how many hours do you work?

32-40 hrs in the wintertime, 40-60 hrs in summer when business picks up.

do you take your work to home?

Only when I'm hungry. :D

do you feel you need to do this job to ensure it is done?

While I feel and I know that I can do my job better than anyone else on my shift, and management has told me that, I know I'm just as dispensable as the janitor, so I don't get a big head over it, I just do my job and call it a good day if I don't get hurt.

It sounds like you just have too much work to do and not enough people to delegate it to. Could you not ask for your team to expand? Fight for an extra member staff to take some of the load off you.

Just to report back...I do believe I am making a progress - Left the Laptop at the office - twice in a week - how good is that!

Actually I'm delegating more now and confining my self at the strategic level rather than hands-on operational level but there is a long way to go.

Cheers

Juxa   

War inanki walala tagay oo yala tagay, shaqo baa la tagtay!! :D

I work between 9 -10 hours a day now and never on weekends.

During my stint as workaholic, I thought it was normal because everyone in my company did the same. The work is hectic, demanding and never ending. In fact it became a cycle I could not break. Granted I became efficient, organised but my workload increased too and my boss suggested I should get access from home if I wished to work on weekends. That is when the penny dropped.

My dear Zu, work can become an excuse to avoid certain aspects of your life, you miss out on many good things in life, and your family miss out having quality time with you.

It is matter of prioritising, kaligaa meel fariiso and think. What is important to you? Achieving success through a career or being an all around successful man, i.e. comparing career, family life and social life?

Maybe you should start slowly:

1- Do not take your work home,

2- Your affair with the laptop must

cease, leave it at work.

3- Have time for your family, friends and

actively pursue that gorgeous xalimo.

4- If all above fails quraan halagu saaro

Juxa   

^^ You know I did.

Funnily enough I do enjoy being out and about and not constantly thinking of targets.