Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Muslim WPC shuns handshake with chief

Cambaro luula, Why would you have a problem with her chosen profession if she apparently thinks she could succeed in it? Do you have a religious decree against Muslim females working in the field of law enforcements yaa Canbaro luula? If the answer is no as I would expect it would be, why then would you insist that she has chosen a wrong career.

Perhaps you are mistaken to think challenging professions are not permissible, and hence fellow sisters should rather shun from them. I still see no contradictions in her choice.

I think she is purposefully pioneering in challenging the norms and the standards of this institution. What’s wrong with that, I ask!

Khalaf   

actions are but intentions right? why would it matter then if u shake a womans hand but it is no different to u then shaking a dudes hand?

Edit: ^^^only a question i know the hadith....but what about intentions?

Khalaf   

^ i had to look up what frivolity means adeer...^^I am serious about the intentions

on the topic i dont get it....she wears pants, works wit men..some will be criminals....some punk may even give her a slap on the butt or haraas her...could happen she puts herself in that position..... but wont shake hands....picks and chooses.....get out of here!

Pujah   

^^ let me quote the article for you THEN maybe it will all make sense :D

“The officer maintains that she puts the requirements of being a police officer above her personal beliefs and
only exercises the latter when she has choice to do so.”

are you saying she doesn't have the choise to refuse shaking his hand? Where in her job description does it say she must hand shake people......hand cuffing criminals and hand shaking for the sake of keeping up the norm are two different things.

again I say its her dicision so lets respect it

Originally posted by Khalaf:

on the topic i dont get it....she wears pants, works wit men..some will be criminals....some punk may even give her a slap on the butt or haraas her...could happen she puts herself in that position..... but wont shake hands....picks and chooses.....get out of here!

Khalaf if you look at statistics you'll find out that women are more likely to be sexually harassed when working in a female dominated field as opposed to one that is traditionally considered a male job. For the rest who are passing a judgement supporting Muslims regardless of their decision is not the issue here but rather your ignorance of Islam. Depending on what madhab a person follows physical contact is not that serious of a matter. But when you don't have to touch a member of the opposite gender it's better to abstain.

NGONGE   

In principle, is it permissible for a female to be a police officer? Yes. Is it permissible for a Muslim female to walk around the city, police officer or not, without a mahram? Yes! Why then would you, yaa NGONGE, fetch these matters and present them as real issues that warrant a further discussion? The sister, my good brother, chose to be a police officer and she wants to serve her community in that capacity. Apparently that is the career she wants to have. Whether she did her homework and thought through all the risks involved in her chosen profession is a matter we know not. Frankly it’s immaterial to know to pass a judgment on her reported stance.
I found it very funny that you chose to comment on the edges of this story instead of sharing your two cents about her distinguished resolve!

Xiin,

When I start such threads I don’t do so to criticise the individual concerned. I do it to highlight an issue, incident or situation and hopefully look at its impact on the local Muslim Community.

As for the permissibility or otherwise, I admit that I was pretty hasty in there and, as a result, opened up a door for a whole lot of new arguments and digression. For that at least and to focus on my main point, I’ll accept your stance on this.

This lady does not really matter. We don’t know her name, what she looks like or what police station she’ll be serving at. For me to congratulate her on her ‘resolve’ would mean that I fully agree with her chosen profession and her stance in this situation! Are you keeping up with me here?

I may or may not agree with her stance. But this is not about her. This is about Muslim women working as police officers. Why are you refusing to see this as a valid discussion? Actually, I think it’s a must discussion.

We all pick and choose so why fuss over her choice not to shake the guy's hand? It's easy analysing somebody else's day to day activities and finding contradictions. Do we do that with our own? The media's just using this to its advantage. I'm bored with this stuff, utterly.

NGONGE   

^^^ What do you pick and choose? From an Islamic point of view I mean.

And, when you pick and choose, do you do it willingly with a pinch of guilt or do it feeling that you’re doing the right thing?

^A mix. Some things I'm oblivious to- it's just the way it's always been and I haven't thought about commiting to changing let alone changing; e.g travelling with a maxram. My entire life would have to be topsy-turvied for that one alone. I would also die slowly or so I imagine LoL.

The handshake thing is a nightmare. It may seem a simple request to make but it unleashes something into the air every time I do it. I refuse to shake hands less frequently than I used to.

I pray at work and listen to the Quran for a few hours every day whilst there. This helps me keep away from the gossip- I am less likely to be interrupted or overhear something tres juicy.

I personally don't find it bothersome working alongside men, in fact I find them easier to work with. I don't have cosy one-to-ones with them or hang out with them after work- much as some would like to see me let go! Or let my hair down or whatever amusing banter that arises around my life choices.

Guilt has its use; if something is bugging me that much I endeavour to make a change. It's what I'm not conscious about that concerns me- it's probably been pushed waaaay down for a reason. LoL. Back to shaqo.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I may or may not agree with her stance. But this is not about her.
This is about Muslim women working as police officers. Why are you refusing to see this as a valid discussion?
Actually, I think it’s a must discussion.

NGONGE,

To be honest, I don’t have a very strong argument for a Muslim woman working as a police officer. Neither do I have any solid objections against her doing so. So I am left to fish for other people’s weak arguments and shoot it down :D yaa old man!

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I may or may not agree with her stance. But this is not about her. This is about Muslim women working as police officers. Why are you refusing to see this as a valid discussion? Actually, I think it’s a must discussion.

To answer that we need to know what a Muslim PC/WPC has to pledge to be accepted as a police officer. How are the compromises (if any) going to be out-weighed by the benefits - Islamic benefits that is. Another important issue is the motive (no pun) behind it all. Is the money/career more important than educating "the force" about Islam, for example. The answers decide whether one is a Muslim PC or plain PC. The same applies to all of us and goes back to question how we can be practicing Muslims in secular UK.

She chose to become a polic officer now she's has the do the compromising?

First the woman was in here right to safeguard her religion, when she refused to shake hands with a non-mahram man!

But the question is, is it allowed for muslims male or female to join the police in a kaafir land?

No, is the answer because being muslim and a police officer in a christian country don't get hand in hand, it's madness!

The siste needs to get out and start looking for alternative jobs inshallah! Allaah will grant her accomdation/a living when she gives up her job for the sake of her religion!

Some things naturally controdict themselves, we find us in a bad situation, where we have to choose between our religion and our economical well-being or our love for staying in christian countries although working hard to uphold our religious princples at the same time!

My god protect us and help us go back to our muslim countries, with our religion intact and our morals right! Amiin.

N.O.R.F   

I think the sister did the relevant research and thought that it was ok to be part of the MET's finest. Thats between her and Allah (SWT).

With the hand shake thing she tried her best not to cause a fuss by informing her superiors of her intention well in advance. At least she tried ey?

Originally posted by MKA Yoonis:

But the question is, is it allowed for muslims male or female to join the police in a kaafir land?

No, is the answer because being muslim and a police officer in a christian country don't get hand in hand, it's madness!

....My god protect us and
help us go back to our muslim countries
, with our religion intact and our morals right! Amiin.

^^Putting aside the fact that this fatwa came from the wrong cavity, still did you think about the posibility that England could indeed be her birth country?