Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Muslim WPC shuns handshake with chief

Kashafa   

The level of pretentiousness on this thread is stupefying. Apart from congratulating the good sister on sticking to her Islamic principles(when so many of us just go with the flow), how is this an issue that merits a must discussion ?

Do not thousands of female Muslim doctors diagnose, treat, and operate on male patients ?(Yeah, there is a wee bit of physical contact involved)

Is there not a precedent for Muslim women to actually fight side-by-side with Muslim men on the battlefield when need be.

Where is it written that women can't walk a beat without a Muhram or are we making up Shariah laws on the go ?

It's one thing to put forth the arguement that some police duties are dangerous for all females, but to single out Muslim women is presposterous. What's next ? They're not allowed to give birth if the mid-wife is a male ?

The sister deserves and gets mad props for doing what most of us(at least myself) can't do, refuse a handshake in a highly formal setting.

Question for the Nitpickers: How many of you own homes or plan to ? And ummm, just how exactly were you planning to finance that dream home of yours ? What ? Did I hear the magical M-word ? Did somebody say Riba-tastical Mortgage.

I see light-bulbs turning on. That's an issue worthy of discussion. Not "how dare she embarass us by taking a job protecting her community like she should"

The siste needs to get out and start looking for alternative jobs inshallah! Allaah will grant her accomdation/a living when she gives up her job for the sake of her religion!

Since A/Y is Ameerul-Mu'meneen, why don't you make Hijrah back to Somalia. Surely you can find a 'accomdation/a living' there too.

Fortunately, Fake-itis has no cure.

^Sorry, I cannot discuss with emotions and people who have grudges, but don't worry, I shall engage with Xiin inshallah until you manage to control your emotions, crying and anger outbursts!

Yes to Xiin, brother how should I engage you in debate, when it seems that you're one of those corrupting this place with your persecption of religion?

Wasn't it you, who said that the Shiicah Al-Ithna Cashariyyah weren't gaalo? How can I ever take you seriously brother after uttering such dangerous and corrupt words?

Clarify your position first and denounce the Shiicah by saying that they have disbeliefed, then only then brother can I take your religious views seriously but not prior to that!

If you come out and do not make condemnation on the Shia brother, then I shall assume that you're happy with their beliefs and I shall never ever engage you in a religious debate because no righteous muslim person who is knowledgeable of this religion would deny the Shiites being disbeliefers and non-muslims!

So the stage is yours just don't slip on the persian/shia blood that has been accidently spilled on the ground as it is time for the anual ritual of 'cutting' onself with a sword in Iran and other shia populated countries!

Khayr inshallah!

NGONGE   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

quote:Originally posted by NGONGE:

I may or may not agree with her stance. But this is not about her.
This is about Muslim women working as police officers. Why are you refusing to see this as a valid discussion? Actually, I think it’s a must discussion.

NGONGE

To be honest, I don’t have a very strong argument for a Muslim woman working as a police officer. Neither do I have any solid objections against her doing so. So I am left to fish for other people’s weak arguments and shoot it down
:D
yaa old man!
Fair enough. However, I don’t think I’ve presented an argument yet. All I’ve done so far was ask questions (albeit pregnant ones)!

I try not to repeat myself but find that I’m forced to do so at every turn (in these discussions). So, let me repeat that I have no personal problem with the sister herself. As I’ve already said, I really don’t know her or know anything about her background. This is merely an issue that made the news and I feel it’s worth a discussion.

We all live in the West and we are (as far as I know) all Muslim. When a story about a fellow Muslim breaks out it stands to reason that we would discuss it. However, what spoils these discussions is when you get some people (like yourself and Kashafa) who take it all to heart and decide to defend blindly without explaining in a logical way why they think this choice is better than that. It needn’t be confrontational all the time, saaxib.

Again, this is not a personal attack on the sister. This is about how the actions of one impact on the many. Now, again readers, before you jump the gun once more: Her actions may have a good or bad impact. These ( I feel) are what this discussion should be about. Not, the argument that Northerner presented for example: about it being between her and her creator, etc (it is stating the obvious, wouldn’t you say?).

I really hope the above was crystal clear and we wouldn’t go back into petty arguments and squabbles over it. It is really tiring to hover around a topic without ever getting to really tackle it head on.

Now, on the topic itself. Just for Kashafa’s sake, lets assume that this sister is a policewoman, doctor, nurse and army soldier all at the same time. She chooses this profession then refuses to do a certain part of her job because it clashes with her faith. You with me so far? Ok, you may say that she’s within her right to do so (and I fully agree). However, will her choice have a favourable impact on the Muslim minorities in the West (I’m using this term because I realise not all of us live in the UK) or will it have disastrous consequences?

My own initial conclusion is that, in the current atmosphere of everything anti-Islam her story and actions are more likely to be the latter than the former. However, as I already said in my earlier posts I’m ready to hear arguments to the contrary. Without wishing to patronise you by stating the obvious, isn’t that the whole point of having a discussion?

Ps

I’m reasonable and logical enough to switch to the other side and present arguments supporting this action too but, either way, I’d first need to see an argument worth dealing with. Any takers?

AYOUB   

Ps

I’m reasonable and logical enough to switch to the other side and present arguments supporting this action too but, either way, I’d first need to see an argument worth dealing with. Any takers?

:D I can just see you screaming "you're supposed to be saying: .....!"

BTW - Your last reply left me confused. Are you saying the MWPC should've shaken the man's hand to spare Muslims the publicity or never joined the force in the first place?

EDIT

Originally posted by Khayr:

Though your questions are valid and show that many inconsistencies make the personality. That does not negate the goodness in her intention and action.

This is important to note because anytime a practicing muslim/muslimah suggests that they have been religiously discriminated the argument of
'moral purism'
is brought up. i.e. Why are you working in a workforce with other men without a muhram yet not willing to go all the way and integrate fully. If part of you is inconsistent, then just give up totally and be
consistent in error.
All in the name of
common sense

So at the end of the day, Allah rewards us for our intention and Allah knows what is in the heart of the sister.

How do you square that with rigid and uncompromising views you expressed in this thread: rape law . Can you see how the last paragraph of that post is completely the opposite of the message you've been trying to send in this thread? Is this covered under the "inconsistencies make the personality" disclaimer? :D Anyways, I hope you do respond (to sister Ameenah's quality posts at least.)

Fabregas   

I don't think one woman not shaking hands with Ian Blair is going to make relations with the Muslim community in the U.K any better or worse!

They need and definitely want more Muslim Men/Women to join the police, army and intelligence services.

The story has already started to fade from the national headlines.

A more bigger story should be the "alleged" failed suicide bombing on 21 july.That is the story which is on the front pages everday.These are the types of stories that have the potential to create a negative image of muslims in this country and possibly make life harder for them

But nobody seems bothered about that story.Just scroll down Sol to see how many replies it got.......

makumba   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

^ i had to look up what frivolity means adeer...^^I am serious about the intentions

on the topic i dont get it....she wears pants, works wit men..some will be criminals....some punk may even give her a slap on the butt or haraas her...could happen she puts herself in that position..... but wont shake hands....picks and chooses.....get out of here!

thats exactely the way i see this whole thing. that WPC is a hypocrite of the firt order. trying to make herself the victim and be on the news when in reality thats the last thing Muslims need.