Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Muslim WPC shuns handshake with chief

NGONGE   

Daniel McGory

Strict beliefs crub contact with men

Commissioner said to be incensed

Scotland Yard is at the centre of a new dispute over religious customs clashing with professional duties after a Muslim woman police cadet refused to shake hands with Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

The incident happened at a recent graduation ceremony where Sir Ian was inspecting a passing-out parade of 200 new recruits.

The woman, who has not been named, told officers just before the ceremony began that her strict Muslim beliefs meant that she could not exchange the traditional congratulatory handshake with the commissioner.

She also refused to be photograped with Sir Ian, reportedly claiming that she did not want the image to be used for “propaganda purposes” as the Yard endeavours to recruit more female Muslim officers.

Sir Ian was said to be incensed when told of the woman’s refusal.

Training officers told the commissioner that they had “reluctantly agreed” with her request as they did not want to cancel or disrupt the ceremony at the Yard’s sports and conference centre at Thames Ditton, Surrey, last month. The parade was attended by hundreds of family and friends of recruits who had completed their 18-week basic training.

One senior police source said: “This had never happened before and there are serious issues at stake. There is an inquiry into the matter.”

The woman took part in the parade wearing a hijab, explaining that her faith dictates that she must not take shake hands with or kiss a man other than her father and close relative. She assured training staff that her religious code would not prevent her arresting a man.The woman is understood to have begun patrol duties in West London as part of her two-year probation period while superiors assess her suitability for the job.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “This request was only granted by members of training staff out of a desire to minimise any disruption to other’s enjoyment, and to ensure the smooth running of what is one of the most important events in an officer’s career. The commissioner did question the validity of this request, and the matter is being looked into.

“The officer maintains that she puts the requirements of being a police officer above her personal beliefs and only exercises the latter when she has choice to do so.”

The Yard has allowed women officers to wear an adaptation of the hijab as part of their uniform since 2001. Commanders have been trying to recruit more Muslims but there are still only 300 among the Met’s 35,000 officers. Fewer than 20 are women.

The Yard faced controversy last year when a Muslim officer was excused from guarding the Israeli Embassy at the height of the conflict in Lebanon. PC Alexander Omar Basha was moved to other duties after claiming that he was afraid his Lebanese relatives could be targeted if he were seen on TV.

Tahir Butt, spokesman for the Association of Muslim Police, supported the woman’s behaviour. “The actions demonstrate strength of character, challenge social norms and educate others as to the diverse practices of communities of London,” he said.

Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra, of the Muslim Council of Britain, said that the public should not be alarmed by the officer’s beliefs.

He said: “If she is called to a male victim who has been shot, the laws go out of the window. Muslim law will say, ‘Forget everything, save this life’.”

Source

This incident highlights the difference between integration and assimilation. Muslims need to be integrated in their respective host society to fully realize the benefits of being part of the system. But in the process of doing so, they need not abandon their values or bend deeply held beliefs to fix mere inconveniences. Meeting western professional standards or conforming to graduation rituals is a mere inconvenience and does not warrant Muslims to respect it, especially if it contradicts latter’s own religious tenets. The story of the sister above is a beautiful illustration of how Muslims in the heart of the west are willing to go to the extra mile, so to speak, if accommodated, to serve their host community.

Unless it seeks a forceful assimilation process, Commission’s announced inquiry into this matter will hardly do any good and can indeed have a negative impact on the public’s perception of it if the end result of it becomes suspension or penalizes the sister (here I am assuming in England public institutions are expected to strive to have an accommodating and diverse work environment).

At any rate, congrats to this sister I say. I solute her resolve!

NGONGE   

^^^ Xiin,

It’s nice for one to support his Muslims brothers and sisters in everything they do. However, have you given this matter some thought? Does it not strike you as a case of unwitting duplicity?

The police sister is within her rights not to shake the commissioners hands. She’s Muslim and her faith forbids her from shaking the hand of a stranger. Yet, doesn’t her faith also forbid her from strolling the streets without a mahram? In addition, the police the in the UK (and most other parts of the world) walk the streets in twos! Will she demand that her ‘partner’ be a female? Surely a service like the police and the army is built on discipline and the acceptance of your superiors orders, where does that leave our sister?

Again, I’m sure if you’ve given this matter more thought, you will think up a dozen situations and incidents that this sister will face in her line of work (she does not work in an office after all) that will clash with hr beliefs and her ability to do the job to the full! Do you think she thought of all of that before she decided to apply for a job with the police?

This is not about criticising for the sake of criticising, this is about common sense. And in the case of this sister (subject to consequent arguments on this thread of course) it all strikes me as a bit petty and duplicitous for her to first, apply for a job as a policewoman and, second, think that the biggest problem she’ll face is the shaking the hand of her superior in a graduation ceremony!

It’s either you were hasty with your bravo or you have a very strong argument in support of the sister’s chosen profession!

Pi   

At first, I thought this lady was a retard. You know, a real, honest-to-goodness retard. I seriously don't mean this in a belittling way.

I realized though that she couldn't be a retard. She graduated high school, went to a police academy, and the whole works. She has some amount of intelligence. So, why would she choose a line of work that involves arresting people, detaining people (physically, if need be), patrolling streets etc. By the way, the rule of law that she has to enforece is that of Man. I know she knew she wouldn't be using shariah law. Again, she can't be that dumb.

But surprise, surprise, she feels the need to highlight the fact that shaking the hand of a male officer against her religion, as if it was the only thing against her religion.

Does she really plan on working as an officer. Will she always invoke religion when she has to carry out the job she voluntarily chose? Oh, I think I see where she's going with this. She plans to get paid and not work. After all, her job is against her religion? Maybe she plans on getting fired, then suing the Police Department for religious discrimination. I hope they fire and humiliate this devilish, publicity-seeking snake. LOL. She really got under my skin.

NGONGE   

^^^ I don't think she was publcity-seeking. She did not stand in front of her boss and refuse to shake his hands (as the article clearly explains). She told them in advance that there will be a problem. It's the Muslim haters that decided to turn this into a news story.

I don't for a minute doubt her honesty and desire to do well but I question her logic, that's all.

Pi   

NGONGE, dude, I think you're cutting her way too much slack. Again, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't think her logic is so wanting that she thinks patrolling streets and physically detaining suspects is any more permissible than shaking a man's hand. I refuse to think she's that D-U-M-B.

Besides, it's easy to always blame things on the Muslim-haters, the others. All Muslims have the it's-their-fault syndrome. Actually, even I find it soothing to blame Muslim haters and Jews for all the dumb things Muslims get themselves into. It's tempting and satisfying, but I know it's not always true.

NGONGE   

^^^ In this case it seems it is. Someone, knowing how charged the atmosphere already is, decided to pass this story to the media!

On the case of this lady, it's not that she's dumb, it's really to do with current Muslim attitudes in the UK. There is a problem with wanting one's rights and reconciling it with common sense.

The state claims to offer equal opportunities for all and that it does not discriminate on the basis of faith, colour, gender or disability. This rule allows all to apply for jobs they might not be (practically) suitable for. However, since the law equality exists, from a legal point of view (I would assume) there is nothing wrong with this lady applying to become a policewoman and expecting her employers to find ways to accommodate her needs. Surely if a disabled person applied for the same job (providing that the job advert did not specify only able-bodied applicants) he/she too would demand and receive a suitable bending of the rules!

Still, I strongly (as things stand) believe that common sense should prevail and that many of our brothers and sisters go for the confrontational route in many of these jobs when knowing full well that they clash with many of the religious rules they adhere to! Still, the vast majority are usually not even aware of such a clash and have convinced themselves that what they ask for are normal and understandable demands! To me and you, they probably are but to the majority of those you will be serving they’re far from reasonable or understandable (and even then, they would still refuse to understand). It’s like banging one’s head against a solid wall.

Still, I don’t think the sister is dumb. I think she, like many others, are carried along by the whirlwind of multiculturalism and the current (obligatory) Islamic postures of defiance!

Khayr   

The police sister is within her rights not to shake the commissioners hands. She’s Muslim and her faith forbids her from shaking the hand of a stranger. Yet, doesn’t her faith also forbid her from strolling the streets without a mahram? In addition, the police the in the UK (and most other parts of the world) walk the streets in twos! Will she demand that her ‘partner’ be a female? Surely a service like the police and the army is built on discipline and the acceptance of your superiors orders, where does that leave our sister?

Though your questions are valid and show that many inconsistencies make the personality. That does not negate the goodness in her intention and action.

This is important to note because anytime a practicing muslim/muslimah suggests that they have been religiously discriminated the argument of 'moral purism' is brought up. i.e. Why are you working in a workforce with other men without a muhram yet not willing to go all the way and integrate fully. If part of you is inconsistent, then just give up totally and be consistent in error. All in the name of common sense

So at the end of the day, Allah rewards us for our intention and Allah knows what is in the heart of the sister.

P.S. Topics like this bring to SOL b/c they apply to our daily lives and what affects us. We are dealing with issues that grapple us and often force us to express what our inert believes us.

Do we think Muslim or think Liberal?

Pujah   

Where do you people get off stating its not allowed for women to policewomen?

she is within her rights to refuse shaking the commissioners hand besides she asked for prior adjustment its not like she embaresed him or anything. Arresting criminals is not goings against her religion as she is enforcing the law of the land and I don't see where shaking superiors hand fits in her job description :rolleyes:

Ms DD   

Salaam Aleykum

Its obvious the sister has got herself into a very tricky and trivial situation. One that she thought coulld eaily be avoided. I think if there was not so much media attention on muslims and islam it would not get as much coverage. Yes, there is an agenda against muslims and we havent brought it all on ourselves.

She is obviously in a tricky situation and has got herself into the media spotlight, which she obviously does not or at least intend to get into. So what can we do to either calm the situation or at least try to explain to the wider community as to her decision?

And to be honest and its only my opinion, being a muslim police officer in this country is not the best way to earn a living. Taking into conisderation the situations which will and can arise.

What I can't understand is why a Muslim woman with very strict views would choose a profession where there will be plenty of physical contact with men.

I do not think it is appropriate job for a very religious Muslim woman. It is a lot more physical than most jobs. There is a possibility that she will be in compromising positions when tackling men, she could have drunken guys who would attempt to pull off her head scarf etc. I just can not understand why she would choose to do such a job. She should consider another job.

It would be very difficult for any woman, let alone a religious Muslim woman to do her job properly if she has issues with unnecessary contact with men; this includes being assaulted or whilst attempting to arrest them.

I don't think it is a safe job for a (Muslim) woman. I believe she will be an easy target by yobs. She will not receive any preferential treatment from the police, and will be expected to do the same job as any other police officer. With all the institutionalised racism that exist within the police force and not to mention the increased hatred for anything Islamic in the current climate, this is why I feel she would have been better with another profession.

It will be a shock to any Muslim woman who isn't used to having physical contact with men to tackle/ be assaulted by these ******. I believe the police in this country have a very difficult job, it is not safe and getting verbally/physically abused by some of the public is a worrying concern.

I am all for women working, being assertive, independent, confident having an education and equal opportunities and pay, HOWEVER women's genetic make-up is NOT the same as men's and even if times have changed, it is ridiculous to assume that women's physical strength is comparable to men's - it most certainly isn't!

But my thoughts are with the sister, in what she may be going through. May Allah make it easy for her.

NGONE.....Human personality is the summation of contradictory compromises. Lets respect her decisions instead of poking holes at the inconsistances in her beliefs.

Ms DD   

^^

Normally i would agree with you Che. I myself dont shake my bosses or client's hands however it was intriguing to see her chosen profession.

NGONGE,

In principle, is it permissible for a female to be a police officer? Yes. Is it permissible for a Muslim female to walk around the city, police officer or not, without a mahram? Yes! Why then would you, yaa NGONGE, fetch these matters and present them as real issues that warrant a further discussion? The sister, my good brother, chose to be a police officer and she wants to serve her community in that capacity. Apparently that is the career she wants to have. Whether she did her homework and thought through all the risks involved in her chosen profession is a matter we know not. Frankly it’s immaterial to know to pass a judgment on her reported stance. I found it very funny that you chose to comment on the edges of this story instead of sharing your two cents about her distinguished resolve!

Putting aside Pi’s rather predictable dig on her intelligence, I think most people acknowledged here that this sister is justified and she is indeed within her rights to request for special accommodation for her beliefs. The route she took was civil and courteous. Her request was granted and the ceremony was held without any embarrassment for anyone involved. I thought that was a splendid win for Muslim integration within that particular host society. The subsequent noise that came from some media outlets was quite predictable and should not surprise anyone. In fact, if you read this story you’d see that it hinges on a rather weak premise. The sister didn’t break any rules and was fairly accommodated.

Now I would readily acknowledge that this kind of job is not suitable for a female, Muslim or not. It’s a tough job and I wouldn’t recommend it to her. But that as I said before is commenting on the fringes of the issue at hand. What she did is commendable adeer. You are a harsh analyst and I could see you looking out well in to the horizon of her career. I don’t know how the London police functions, but in the States, where I am familiar with, police officers don’t wrestle with suspects; they just shoot :D them if they don’t cooperate. I think the sister will do a fine job in apprehending un-cooperating suspects …by just shooting them!

Lets give her a round of applause, yaa jamaacah!

ps-since the defeat of icu, any thing i do is done in a hasty way!