Congrats cadaan ur more Somali than lots of people I know

Wellsaid about Somali mothers Rudy

Baluug   

Originally posted by Ghanima:

Congrats Cadaan, you surely are possible even
more Somali
than
me

Lool @ 19%!!! Don't worry about Serenity, she is jealous that once you knew this word in Somali, which she’s been searching for.

What word was that?

WILDCAT   

So, do you wear a macawiis and chew qaad? I hope your Somali-ness doesn't stretch THAT far... icon_razz.gif

I'm generally curious what initially drew you to the Somali way of life, and what inspired you to continue the path even after the separation from your wife...

It's difficult to be objective about Somali traits when you are Somali yourself... I always enjoy hearing outside viewpoints... so please kindly indulge me as fully as you possibly can if you have time, and if it's not too personal a request...

Wildcat, genuinely interested and curious. smile.gif

Baluug   

This is my thread and I'll be damned if it gets down to the 2nd page AKA never to be read again!! :D

Originally posted by WILDCAT:

So, do you wear a
macawiis
and chew
qaad
? I hope your Somali-ness doesn't stretch THAT far...
icon_razz.gif

I'm generally curious what initially drew you to the Somali way of life, and what inspired you to continue the path even after the separation from your wife...

It's difficult to be objective about Somali traits when you are Somali yourself... I always enjoy hearing outside viewpoints... so please kindly indulge me as fully as you possibly can if you have time, and if it's not too personal a request...

Wildcat, genuinely interested and curious.
smile.gif

I have chewed qaad a few times, but it tastes awful and I hated the fact that even though I felt dead tired, it took me 5 hours to go to sleep!! It's just a huge waste of money and its haraam anyway.

Basically, I married a Somali woman and just jumped right in, I guess. I may not be married to her anymore, but we're still close and good friends, not just for the sake of the kids, but it turned out we like each other as friends, and nothing more, so I'm still attached to Somali culture in that way. As well, it seems that most white converts adopt the Arab culture by default, and I've always wanted to be different. :D

And I don't know any Arabs anyways, so other than sharing the same diin (for the most part), I have no need to have any Arab characteristics(other than the fact that I love shawarmas and I like some Arabic music).

Basically for the most part, Somali culture and lifestyle is very good and I think it's a good choice to raise my children under. But obviously, nothing is perfect and Somalis have their flaws, notably the qabiil issue, but my kids and I haven't seen the detrimental effects of it and probably never will, due to the fact that none of us actually have a qabiil. The qabiil comes from the father's side, so my kids are basically seen as Irish, and not Somali. So I'm hoping they get the best of both worlds.

WILDCAT   

Ah. You've shed more light on things now that you've mentioned you had children with your ex-wife. I can see why you might want to give the kids a balanced heritage. I wish you and your young ones all the best luck.

Thank you for answering. It's a pleasure to see diversity here. smile.gif

Cara.   

Hambalyo Cadaan. We're honored ;)

Is there a "Somali experience" you would like to try out? Ride a camel? Fight in a vicious war of attrition? Learn a gabey?

Whatever it is, someone on these boards is sure to have the right contacts or know-how, so don't be shy.

Baluug   

Yes, there is, Cara. I want to get a picture taken of myself with an AK-47. :D Maybe I'll bust off a cap or 2 as well, like a true Arab, shooting in the sky while screaming "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH LALALALALALALLAALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH"!!!!! Know what I mean? And as for contacts, my ex has all the contacts I need for that. :D

Wildcat, there is an af-soomaali class somewhere in London from what I heard, but not anywhere else.