Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

After escaping war in Somalia, terror suspects grew up in Toronto.

After escaping war in Somalia, terror suspects grew up in Toronto.

Stewart Bell and Adrian Humphreys, CanWest News Service; National Post

Published: Monday, June 05, 2006

TORONTO -- They came to Canada as children when their homeland Somalia fell into war and chaos. They now stand accused of taking part in a terrorist plot against the country that gave them refuge.

Two of the 17 Toronto men charged with terrorism-related offences over the weekend, Yasin Abdi Mohamed, 24, and Ali Mohamed Dirie, 22, are Somali refugees who came to Canada with their families in the early 1990s.

Both men are scheduled to appear in court north of Toronto on Wednesday to face charges related to an RCMP investigation into a terrorist bombing plot in southern Ontario.

The two friends, college students who made money selling jeans to friends, have led remarkably similar lives marked by war, migration and now alleged involvement in terrorism.

Mohammed was five when his family arrived from the Somali capital Mogadishu via Italy.

"We were pretty much raised here," said Mohamed's brother Abdul, standing in the doorway of the small apartment they shared in Toronto.

"Yasin (is) very religious. Every day he prays," his mother, Asha Muhayadin, said, pointing to the holy book she said her son read every morning.

Mohamed would admonish his siblings for not praying more often, she recalled. "He told his brothers, `You wake up, you never say thanks to God. Are you animals?"'

"My brother's a broad-minded guy that had goals for his future," Abdul said. He was never violent, he added. "He's never stabbed, shot anybody. From that to plotting on killing people, that's insane. It must be because of his last name."

The Dirie family fled Somalia in the late 1980s after their city was levelled in an aerial bombardment.

Dirie was eight years old when he arrived in Toronto as a refugee. His father had been dragged out of the family home during the Somali civil war and killed.

In his own words, Dirie had a "bad temper" when he was young, and was often angry. He was in and out of various schools.

"When he was young, he was trouble," said his younger brother Jafar, 18. But Ali was changing, he said.

"He was trying to become a better person spiritually," Jafar said. "He was learning about the religion." He began devoting more time to studying Islam and donned a white kameez and cap.

But Ali was not an extremist, his brother said. "No, he wasn't that type."

Mohamed's mother, who knows Dirie, agreed, saying, "Ali, he didn't believe like that."

In 2003, Dirie returned to the city he had fled as a child. During the visit, an older brother who still lived in Somalia introduced him to a local woman and they were married.

"He really matured," Jafar said.

Dirie returned to Toronto in January 2005. He took computer courses and started his own clothing-import business. He was trying to save money for college, Jafar said.

Mohamed, who was studying at Humber College in Toronto, soon began to work with him.

The two friends made repeated trips to the U.S. They would drive to New York state, and Dirie would buy jeans and bring them back to sell to friends and acquaintances.

Their last trip was in August. They drove to Columbus, Ohio, but this time they did not buy clothes; they bought three handguns and ammunition. They taped the guns to their legs and stashed the bullets in their socks.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=2e8f5170-6f5d-451a-857f-938d3b93d532

ElPunto   

^I'm not sure why these relatives speak to the media. It seems to fan the flames of what is so far unfounded allegations and a media feeding frenzy

Zafir   

I don't believe it for a sec. It's a frame game. I can't help but think anyone of us could be in there shoes right now.

ElPunto   

^I'm not sure what it is(apart from a huge propaganda campaign; I can't tell you how many times I've heard 'Canada's 9/11') - but these 2 guys were in jail already - they claim they're connected to one of the other suspects because he rented a car for them. Seems rather flimsy to charge them with terrorism related charges.

As to us possibly being in their same shoes - I think it is unlikely. These guys were caught smuggling weapons into the country and after everything that has happened back home - what a bunch of losers.

Pucca   

a pile of bs is what it is....somalis have become a hot target nowadays, may allah keep us safe.

One thing is clear: Iyagoo bistoolada qarsoodi xaduudka soo gudbinaayo ayaa la qabtay last year.

They confessed to that illegal activity.

Taas ayaaba aniga iga yaabisay. Dad quman hadee yihiin waxaas ma u dhawaadeen.

Sababta lagu heysto now, I think, is markii la qabanaaye on that gun charge, their driver waala sii daaye. That driver, a non-Soomaali, now happens to be one of the other 15 arrested. The driver of their car wasn't charged for smuggling gun charges at the border.

About those allegations, waa wax iska jacbursan. Mareykanka occasionally does it, 'busting terror cells,' so does Ingiriiska. Australia did it too. Marka maxaa ka reebaayo Kanada to terrorize their citizens.

Part of the allegations is they allegedly contemplated and planned capturing Canadian baarlamaan, beheading the Kanadiyaan Ra'iisul Wasaare at there -- what a sensation qashin oo been ah oo aan loo aaba yeelin ee meesha ku hayaan.

Been intaas la eg Been Hawaas xataa ma sheegi jirin.

-Lily-   

They seem foolish to me if indeed they are responsible, I would like to see all the facts.

I'm shocked family members are talking to the press.

what the hell I grew up with yasin and that dude is the last person to be considered a terrorist. I am confused alot about this story. I know he was caught carrying guns across the border and got senteced for that. He was in jail since august of 05, WHEN THE HELL DID HE GET CHARGED WITH TERRORISM AND HOW IS INVOLVED WITH THOSE 17 MEN?

Pucca   

this year has been one hell of a year so far...i'm discovering cousins i didnt even know i had in the media (from murders to drive by shooting...and now arrests). its just funny cuz i've always thought i had no more than 5 real *first/second* relatives (families) in north america.

oh well ...i've said a duah in my earlier post but now that theres a family member involved...dear lord hear my prayers, keep them both safe, i'd like to meet this one before he's dead.

sorry if i sound sarcastic...but its not everyday you hear "oh yea..the dude on t.v thats handcuffed..yea thats your cousin".

Guhaad   

damn, before i read the news, i knew Somalis would somehow be involved in that case one way or another. Somalis are becoming more active or as active as some Arab members/groups nowadays, in London, Canada, and in the USA. no wonder, very soon Somalis will pose the same thread,and be subjected to the same treatments as some Arab communities. whatever the cause, we are calling for unwanted attention at critical moments.

raggu hubka mey basaaseeyaan, wax un baa qaldan!! laakiinse allaah yaciin!

Guhaad   

Originally posted by Pucca:

oh well ...i've said a duah in my earlier post but now that theres a family member involved...dear lord hear my prayers, keep them both safe, i'd like to meet this one before he's dead.

AAMIIN

Pucca, huuno dadku hadii ey fara bataan meel walba waa lagu arkin. my prayers are with you, sorry this one hit home so close.