Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

Somalia-Somaliland Day

Maf Kees   

Last saturday was the Somalia-Somaliland Day which I attended. It was the bomb, hundreds of people came and I didn't expect Somalis to be able to organise such a big event in The Hague. There was even children day care and professional security.

It was organized by the org Nedsom. They work in Somaliland and Puntland/Somalia and the chairman is from Puntland/Somalia Gulled Yusuf and the vice-chairman from Somaliland Ismail Awil. Heard later on through the Somali Waxaa-La-Yiri machine that the chairman is the owner of the Horseednet newswebsite and that his father is police chief in Puntland. The blessed couple got 140 000 euros for the whole event by the Dutch government or something. Remember! Waa sida laygu yiri!

The ladies were exaggeratingly beautiful masha Allah, we couldn't believe so many pretty girls at one place at the same time. I did not spot one ugly heifer.

A Somali painter showed us his artwork. Paintings of rural Somalia. He ended his presentation with a Somali poem which reminds me my promise to Baashi. :eek:

The debates were heated as usual with Somali people. Dutchies trying to say something, but there was always a Somali interrupting the poor soul. Some Somalis got emotional, some got mad, some said things they shouldn't have said. Pretty much Somali discussion as usual. I wanted to say something, but the Nedsom chairman Gulled claimed the mic all for himself and I didn't want to walk to another mic.

The Somali fashion show was cool. 4 dudes and 5 ladies with each wearing traditional Somali clothes from different eras and regions of the Somali people.

The presentation about the drought in Northeasten Kenya and South Somalia was interesting and touching. One man had to cry and I suspect it was a smart strategy to woe the ladies.

The food was nasty as hell. I wanted the bariis, but by the time I went to the girls to get my food, there was only lasagne. After two bites and it was enough! But good thing I didn't eat the bariis, everybody I know who ate the bariis were spending the whole sunday in the toilet. I'm dead serious.

Than the winner of the Idea-contest were being announced. Somali youth between 15 and 30 had to write about their ideas how to rebuild the country. Number 3 was a girl who had ideas about exchanging knowledge or something. Number 2 was a dude who came up with a Somali National Fund but he didn't even bother to show up. And I know the number 1 and he was a young, intelligent Somali guy who came up with some complicated shit. The jury was amazed with his ideas and how brilliant he was.

The day ended with a small party with Somali music. My two cents on Somalia-Somaliland Day. I'm definitely coming back next year.

Aniga waxaan u maleynahayaa inay arin fiican tahay wacadale. El Muhim waxaa ii sheegtaa did they talk about TGF and where it is heading in this new millenium? Did anyone mentioned the president?

Maf Kees   

There are no pics and videoclips beside what people filmed for personal use. Forgot to mention a play about Somali asylum seekers. That was straight up comedy.

Nobody talked about politics. There were hundreds of Somalis from different backgrounds. Politics would only mess up the vibe.

RedSea   

Ooookay, wow hang a second now, where was this and what was it exactly?

You said it was Somalia-Somaliland day,but does such day exist? Tell us more of what exactly this day was and why it was being celebrated for? without the Bariis eating part which you already have done.

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

Ooookay, wow hang a second now, where was this and what was it exactly?

Probably in the Netherlands... where peeps are high all the time icon_razz.gif

Maf Kees   

^Not all the time. Just most of the time.

Red Sea.

It was in The Hague in a fancy place called Theater Concordia. It wasn't a celebration of anything. Somali orgs and ppl came together and had a good time and did something useful for a change on a saturday.

The ppl that organised the event just sent us all an apology for the bad food. It will be the last time a certain Somali makhaayad will be used for catering service. Next year, we'll just eat kebab or fried chicken or so'em for safety reasons.