Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Breast-feeding in public!

NGONGE   

A few days ago while I was on my way home from work, I got on a crowded bus and sat next to a Somali lady with a baby in her arms. I sat there reading my newspaper and minding my own business when this lady proceeded to expose her breast and feed her baby! I felt embarrassed and kept on staring at my newspaper (couldn’t read anything in it of course). My embarrassment had nothing to do with my views on the subject by the way. I’m not sure whether I approve of breast-feeding in public or not. I can see the reasons why someone would do it and can also see the reasons why someone shouldn’t do it.

To the guys on here, what would have been your reaction had you been in my shoes? Would you talk to the woman? Would you get up and move away or would you sit there as if nothing had happened?

How about you girls? Would you breast-feed in public?

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

Well for you its about embarrassment and to the baby its about being hungry then and there. To you it's just breasts, and to the baby it's a fast-food outlet. I guess women should try to be a little discreet lakiin when it comes to the crunch, its part of nature.

Me personally I’m not at that stage yet, but I personally would try and avoid doing it in crowded places and if I had to, I’d make sure I’m well covered. Unless we are only women that is, coz in that case I’m allowed to. And anyway alhamdulilah now a days we have baby feeding rooms every where.

I was in your position I’d say masha'allah beautiful baby how old? but then again I’m a sista, if your male you should turn away. Her breastfeeding is non of your business and doesn’t give men the license to stare. It ain’t your wife.

Wasalaam

Well said Intuition

Don't know about you girls, but I'm a female, and even I get embarrassed when women breastfeed in public. I don't even like it when they do it in front of me in private. I understand that the baby needs feeding, but the least they could do is cover up. As a mother you should be prepared that your baby might get hungry, before you leave the house.

NGONGE   

Like I said, I understand why she had to do it. The baby was hungry and needed to be fed, it’s not “take your top off for the boys” type of scenario.

You can’t blame me for being embarrassed though; I would have been embarrassed had it been a western lady doing the same thing, let alone a Somali woman.

As for staring, well, I didn’t stare but I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to. Not for her beauty, not because I’m a pervert, but just because it was a surreal type of situation to be involved in and I couldn’t believe my eyes.

I need to start doing some work soon! :confused:

The mother should’ve made provision for her child while travelling on public transport. A mother knows her baby feeding times and should’ve been well prepared; in saying that we are not aware of the situation (maybe she had left the baby bottles at home or the baby is only used to breast feeding) If it can't be helped so be it. I am sure she tried to be discreet as best as she could, mothers have a way of not exposing themselves while breast feeding – a true talent some posses.

Me personally, I would not be able to do it in public, probably end up getting off the tube/bus & finding somewhere less crowded to feed the crying baby (Result Happy baby, Delayed journey smile.gif , )..

salam

when it comes to my beloved kids i would do anything for them and i wount be showing off like that but atleast i would cover up ma boobs and then breast feed the kid i belive the woman had no intantion to let you see her boobs lakiin she was thinking about her kid and how hungry he was and i belive thats the reason why she flip her boobs on public. and it could be bad and haram i think. but kids comes first

Originally posted by NGONGE:

How about you girls? Would you breast-feed in public?

The answer is NO, or it if had to i have to be cover my breast, i just have to.. to make my long story short... I agree with intuition 100%.

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

Im pretty sure the baby was hungry but I wouldnt recommend any woman to expose her breasts to men's eyes. At least , mothers should make sure to bring some bottles and a long piece of cloth to cover her breasts and should be careful not to suffocate the baby with the cloth.I have seen a woman doing it and Im sure it will work for any mother.

BOB   

^^^He was so timid and apologetic...proper Arab. :D

He got woman handled and they bullied him to submission till he ran....:D :D :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

Actually, this was not my first post. In fact, it wasn't even one of my first ten posts. :D

Is this about goats again? War dumarka ha caayin! :P