Sign in to follow this  
Medulla Oblongata

Invasion of the Creepy, Crawly Body Beasties

NOTE: All these skin-tunneling, bloodsucking, body munching critters are real. They're parasites, living creatures that make their homes on the bodies of other living things like adiga. And they usually harm their host in the process. So if you get disgusted in any way or feel uncomfortable reading this post you have the right to leave. ENJOY!!!

Loa loa worms like to live in human tissue and burrow along just under the skin, eating as they go, at the rate of about 1.5 centimeters (half an inch) a mintue. Loa loa worms belong to a group of worms called filarial worms that often plague people who live in tropical places, like West Africa and Central America-Especially places with poor sanitation. Loa loa worms spread when young worms get into the bloodstream and are sucked up by a biting mango fly ( Chrysops ). When this fly bites someone else, the young worms get into the wound and settle into their new host. The adults are wranderers, traveling around the host's body.

loa_loa_eye.gif

Sometimes they can even be seen as a ripple, wiggling through the white of a person's eye. :eek:

TO BE CONTINUED! Stay tune for the next session of creepy crawlers :D

For the visual folks here are few more pictures of loa loa worms who infected people like you!

Loa_loa2.jpg

This is a photo of a doctor extracting a Loa loa worm out of a persons eye

Quite disturbing isnt it! icon_razz.gif

26-32C.jpg

mozzardimf1.gif

This photo is a blood smear showing the creepy crawly loa loa worms. INTRIGUING ISNT IT!

For more information vist this site to learn more about Loa loa worms. ;)

STOIC   

Medulla, Flies (order Diptera) causes a great deal of medical problem to the developing nations.Diseases like river blindness and chagas are transmitted by these tiny two winged creatures.I work as an asistant medical entomologist research technician in my lab.We are currently investigating a biological control technique that may help these developing nations control these flies.Our research being done here in the state will be extrapolated to African countries.These developing nations don't have the resources and capabilities to come up with a sound biological control.

Everyday we scan these kind of pictures.If i wasn't bound by intellectual property right, i will have shared these pictures with you guys.You will wonder what these flies can do to transmit these diseases.Flies like housefly and soldier fly are usually part of domestic household in developing nations.

Here in the west they don't have these real problems but they do have delusory parasitosis.These is some kind of funny fealing where individuals think that they have a bug crawling in their skin.Although there is no visible bug chipping on their skin. They still think they have a bug crawling on their beddings and belongings after they are assured nothing is found in their skins.Individuals with these problem are mostly kept on a suicide watch list.They sell their homes and even switch cars to feel comfortable.There is a great deal of research being done on this disease.A freind of mine is currently doing a research on delusory parasitosis.

PS: good to see someone intrested in medical entomology.We can not all became computer scientists or engineers, right?

Baluug   

Originally posted by STOIC:

Here in the west they don't have these real problems but they do have delusory parasitosis.These is some kind of funny fealing where individuals think that they have a bug crawling in their skin.Although there is no visible bug chipping on their skin. They still think they have a bug crawling on their beddings and belongings after they are assured nothing is found in their skins.

Bugs everywhere....must..scratch...them....OFF!!!Aaaarrrrgggghhh!I can't take this anymore....I need some crack.....