Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

RAGEH TARGET OF BANK CON

Ms DD   

RAGEH TARGET OF BANK CON

By Adrian Shaw 15/05/2007

More Top Stories

Have your say: Top Stories forum

EX-BBC newsman Rageh Omaar almost became a victim of bank fraudsters who rifled £2.3million from the accounts of wealthy clients, a court heard yesterday.

The gang, helped by a Halifax building society worker, stole identities, created bogus accounts and laundered the proceeds through car dealers.

But a West London Barclays manager phoned the police when a man purporting to be Omaar - the so-called "Scud Stud" who found fame covering the Iraq war - called in.

Advertisement

Nigerian Oluwasegun Adekunle, 27, who lived in Central London, was jailed for five years for conspiracy to defraud and money laundering and was ordered to be deported.

Shana Campbell, 24, a customer service adviser at Halifax in Bexleyheath, Kent, got four years and janitor Steven Fabian, 44, two-and-a-half years.

Three Berkshire car dealers were given sentences ranging from 27 to 12 months for money laundering.

Judge Anthony Pitts told Southwark crown court this was "rife" in the trade.

Last week there was £1200 missing from my mom's account. She asked the bank (Halifax) and she was told that a Somali guy was working at the time the money went missing and so she needs to report to the police. Mom had changed her mind as she didnt want the Somali bloke to get into trouble incase he didnt take it. Now she is convincing herself that she cant remember whether she has taken the money herself!

Ibtisam   

^^No learn to read the words me, the words Shakes head! :D

who rifled £2.3million from the
accounts
of wealthy clients

me   

I knew you would be the first to come in with guns-a-blazing :D as I said before bilaa fariin.

Ibtisam   

How does a guy from Hargisa call breaks Fariin??? :rolleyes: xaagaad aaf somaliiga kuu baarate? it is called bareegyo. :D

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

How does a guy from Hargisa call breaks Fariin??? :rolleyes: xaagaad aaf somaliiga kuu baarate? it is called bareegyo.
:D

loool...That is how they say Dee waa bilaa Bareeg!

me   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

How does a guy from Hargisa call breaks Fariin??? :rolleyes: xaagaad aaf somaliiga kuu baarate? it is called bareegyo.
:D

I am a Somali Xanthus, I have an large vocabulary. I don't stick to one regional 'dialect'. Thats the beauty of our language nooh

me   

Originally posted by hodman:

^^ good for you coz bareeg and fariin are all the same

hmmmm :D

Originally posted by Stealth:

fariin? never heard of it. It's called bareeg.lol

Bareeg is an english word la Somali gareeyay. Break to bareeg. Anyhow af soomaaligu waa af aad u erayo badan. ama bareeg dheh ama fariin ha la dhaho...kolay waa afkeeni hooyo.