Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

Egypt Struggle For Food. Al Jazeera Video

Cowke   

Fascinating video. Some people tend to think egypt is a gulf-state country, but nothing could be further from the truth.

This video proves that egypt economy is on the way down and people are even fighting over bread.

Startling signs for the rest of Africa!!!

Naden   

Not surprised at all. Egypt had an economy that was toe-to-toe with South Korea in 1972. In the past 37 years, their population has grown from approx. 30 million to more than 80 million now. There won't be enough wheat in the world to feed them if they continue to grow as they have in 3 short decades.

SeeKer   

Cowke I remember seeing something about people fighting for bread almost 5 years ago. If I recall right the point of the article when I read it was price controlling, supply and demand.....the usually economy hullabaloo.

Cowke   

Seeker, yes but the economic down-turn in the world is not the reason behind egypts economic woes, this economic decline has been happening for decades as suggested by naden.

Naden made some very interesting observations about the population growth in egypt primarily being responsible and provided some interesting figures also.

Naden if you don't mind, may I ask is that population growth due to higher-birth rates or immigration? or is it a combination of the two.

Naden   

Cowke, price-fixing as seeker pointed out is a serious culprit in wheat/bread shortages. The goverment subsidizes bread to the populace which the middle man readily exploits. Their population growth is due to their high birth rate, especially in the rural areas. Subsidies or not, abject poverty is inevitable in a country where most live along a small area along the Nile.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

adiga meel kasta maryooley maas soo galiney?

Is that a crime? And why should I care about ceeshka masaarida?

Plus did you ever hear this Somali tix?

Dhiishayda caanaha taqaan teelashaa go'ane

Iyaduba tolliin waa u baahan tahay wayna kala taale,

Tayday cuslaysee maxaan tari nin ii cawday?

^Allahu akbar, xaa ku jawaab ah. Laakiin iyaguba waa dad muslim ahe la soco. Waase dhab oo dadka aan dawladna lahayn, colaaduna u dheer tahay iyo abaaruhu wax ka daran adduunyada maanta aan ku nool nahay ninkii ogow, step forward?

Soomaaliya iyo Soomaalida maanta dhulka ku sugan in badan oo ka mid ah xaalada ay ku sugan yihiin waxba dhaanto tii uu Michael Burke (former BBC reporter) kasoo warami jirey Ethiopia ee 1984-tii.

Alle se duliga ina saaran naga qaada waan leenahay.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Dhagax-Tuur:

^Allahu akbar, xaa ku jawaab ah. Laakiin iyaguba waa dad muslim ahe la soco. Waase dhab oo dadka aan dawladna lahayn, colaaduna u dheer tahay iyo abaaruhu wax ka daran adduunyada maanta aan ku nool nahay ninkii ogow, step forward?

Soomaaliya iyo Soomaalida maanta dhulka ku sugan in badan oo ka mid ah xaalada ay ku sugan yihiin waxba dhaanto tii uu Michael Burke (former BBC reporter) kasoo warami jirey Ethiopia ee 1984-tii.

Alle se duliga ina saaran naga qaada waan leenahay.

lol...Dhagaxtuur waa runtaa, waanan kugu raacsanahay oo waa dad muslim ah mana ku farxayo jabkooda laakiin waxaan la yaabay markii aan dadka xasuusiyey xanuunka Soomaali haysta in laga dhigay irrelevant oo aan keliya ku khasbannahay inaan topicgga u xadraynno! I think inaysan marna noo sinmi karin sidaad sheegtay dalkeenna oo baaba'ay oo annaga oo Soomaali ah waajib naga saaran yahay inaan u gurmanno iyo dad dalalkoodu u dhisan yihiin oo dhibaatooyim soo foodsaareen!

Cowke   

Naden, price-fixing and corruption can be disturbing trends, what measures are being taken by the Egyptian government either at the national or local level to stabilize the market-place? I know Egypt has been focusing a-lot on the Nile river and has territorial frictions with Ethiopia over it's right.

However is Egypt looking at regulatory measures to curb this supply-demand-corruption combo, that is having a startling effects on the local populace? Or is the corruption all the way up to the government and further beyond then what the eye can see (market-stalls).

If you could emphasize on the measures being taken by the Egyptian government on this looming disaster that would be great.

It is a disturbing sign when one of the giants of Africa is struggling so bad, it really sends warning signals to other respective nations within the neighborhood.

SeeKer   

^ Not to be condescending but do you really think that there is a fully functional government in Egypt that gives a rat's patuti about its local populace? Shall I suggest a trip to Cairo? :D

Abwaan   

lol...Seeker I lost count of how many years Mr Mubarak was the president... :D It proofs that Egypt is under dictatorship. I haven't been to Egypt since end of 05. Did things get worse or better?

SeeKer   

^28 years and counting since he assumed 'presidency'. I only went to Cairo in '07 and trust me I wasn't walking around with a pen and a paper trying to gauge if things got worse or better. I was lucky that I always ran into people who desired to talk about life in Egypt and consequently I learnt a lot about the place without aiming to. For a full analysis...... :D