Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Are we endangering our families?

Curly   

After many years of working in the community I'm always coming across the same issues especially when it comes to our Somali community. I'm constantly asked by work colleagues questions around the mistrust and stigmas Somali families have when engaging with mainstream services. You hear the stories about children being removed by Social Services and Mental Health Services putting people into vegetative states and the NHS botching operations and misdiagnosing. Although I've heard some horrific stories first hand, I've also heard first hand stories about Somalis not trusting the NHS to the point where lives are lost as a result or non-compliance with medication causing further medical complications.

When it comes down to it you wonder if we're endangering our lives, when Somali children don't get vaccinated because of scaremongering with the debunked reports of MMR side effects and non-compliance with TB medication.

How much longer can we continue to ignore children with special needs due to the fear of "labeling" or ignore childhood obesity because we think thin is unhealthy and continue with this misguided idea that play is not apart of learning? It's extremely frustrating when you see these children missing out on opportunities because of outdated views! Early intervention is what we need to stop our children from underachieving and allow them to have the same options as children from other cultures and backgrounds.

I was hoping that the nomads here might have some innovative ideas of how we can change these dangerous misconceptions. I think that part of the reason is the lack of education yet I see educated Somalis making the same mistakes, so what can we do to get our Somali community to gain more trust in mainstream service?

Indhoos   

Wow sue, you have raised a very interesting topic.

I believe many of the mistrust is due to, like you said, clinging to outdated ideologies.

There are also, miscommunication, misunderstanding, misrepresentaion, and mistrust.

As well as the idea that each and every civil servant has a hidden agenda when it comes to our people.

One of the things that I saw was that the somalis have one of the most powerful communication devices, word-of-mouth, and for some unknown reasons, if it is bad, it has tendency to spread faster. Combine that with few negative experiences and voilla...

How can we improve this? By educating the people about the sesrvices that are provided to them and those who provide the services. For those who are educated, point out all the ways that they can find information on the issue that they are dealing with on their own, and this does not include asking around in the community, but may include reading the literature that is out there.

More importantly, to educate those who provide servies about the culture, religion, and the people in a positive way.

I guess I am rambling.

Later.

Nephissa   

Would you prefer that we just behave like uninformed sheep and do what they deem is best for us?

In case you missed it, this is on SOL's front page:

more Mpls. Somali children in autism programs

By CHRIS WILLIAMS

Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS —

Young Somali children in the Minneapolis public schools are over-represented in autism programs, the Minnesota Health Department reported, confirming the observations of many Somali parents and educators.

"The Somali community is justifiably concerned that there is something happening here in Minnesota or Minneapolis that could be causing autism that they weren't seeing in their children in Somalia,"

Where there's smoke, there's fire! I don't blame them for not trusting the healthcare system. There appears to be W-A-Y more autism these days, there must be a reason, no?

As for labeling, I share their sentiments Walahi. Anytime a child steps out of line or gets an F in finger-painting class the teachers right away blame it on something; ADHD/ADD/AFG/BTJ/XNW .. :rolleyes: yaahuuu baa la idin yiri dhe! There are many that are misdiagnosed just because they think/play differently, or relate to others differently. Who has decided that this is wrong? How would you feel if all of a sudden the professionals told you that you're CRAZY..that the way you thought and acted was abnormal???? Just food for thought. All we can do is try our best...and say nay to the labels they give our kids.

Indhoos   

^^^You do have a valid point, but when you are armed with knowledge of the situation at hand, they are less likely to rush you or get you to sign things that you did not understand...

Autism is different from ADHD. Most of our children are misdiagnosed for ADHD. I believe, if the parents knew to find ways to channel a child's high energy to other areas; sports, etc, and informed the educators of such, may be the schools would not rush to put kids up for evaluations.

Laakiin, caruurteena inta guriga lagu soo xiro markuu iskuulka ka yimaado, oo tv hor fadhiya maantoo dhan, laguna oranayo, "waryaada iga amusa, oo car guriga ku ciyaara!" Energygii xaguu geenayaa? Where is the child gonna go to try out all the cool moves and actions he saw on the tv, but the school and with the classmates.

The teacher on the other hand, will do whatever it takes to have a managable class, even if that means nominating most of the kids for testing, so that they can be on medication and behaves as Zombies. Sadly, this is wide spread and it is effecting other races.

How can these be fixed?

Again, I believe, we can start by educating the community about what is out there and what their options are. The parents who do not speak the language or who have limited knowlegde of the system should be protected and taken care of by those who are translating for them or those who are working at the center as well as the community centers.

Later

I think it will be misguiding to say that vaccinations do not have side effects or cause health problems. They do and can harm innocent lives more than a treatable disease can. Educating the community and giving them advice is all good, but don't mislead them into this madness of drug intoxication. Drugs are not always the solution. Just my two cents.

Curly   

Originally posted by Nephissa:

Anytime a child steps out of line or gets an F in finger-painting class the teachers right away blame it on something; ADHD/ADD/AFG/BTJ/XNW .. :rolleyes: yaahuuu baa la idin yiri dhe! There are many that are misdiagnosed just because they think/play differently, or relate to others differently.

Diagnosis is the first step to understanding and managing learning disabilities or behavioural difficulties. If something was wrong with my child I'd like to know what it is so that I can help my child the best way possible. This could vary from supplying a child with the resources it needs to have the same opportunities as other children or allow people to understand the difficulties a child may have so that it isn't treated unfairly. I understand that unfortunately in this day and age people still do not classify people as disable unless it’s a visible disability, isn’t that the real injustice?

Assessments aren’t just based on silly one off observations but thorough analysis over a lengthy period of time.

Would you really want to risk disadvantaging your child, moving from school to school because you're child is constantly getting into trouble. I've seen 5 year olds being expelled from primary schools because parents refuse referrals to relevant services. How much of an education would that child recieve? and before long that child would be seen as the trouble maker, how's that for labelling?

Pucca   

Thats just the thing sue, if something was wrong with your child...you would know. You wouldnt need someone else to tell you.

Personally i wouldnt sign anything, if the child can live without it then he/she doesnt need to be poked..end of discussion. I've always been against flu shots and i still am... and all those prevention drugs they advertise now adays (ie the HPV vaccines) can just go to hell. When or if a problem or illness comes up, we'll deal with it then, till then though...its cool.

Curly   

Islam teaches you there is a cure for every illness and God gave us knowledge for a reason.

I'm just wondering when does all this scepticism will start costing lives, it already effecting quality of life.

Indhoos   

Many a time it is the system than anything else and with the way thigs are progressing these days, I would not be surprised if the refferals increased trifold. I mean they are increasing class sizes, cutting teachers, and reducing available resources.

When a teacher has a full class and a child is acting up, they question it. "What is wrong with this child."

Would you be surprised if this was followed by the teacher's attempt to Id what is wrong with the child, a diagnosis, and then "Whew, finally a some peace!"

Let us just see how this unfolds, especially with what is happening these days.