Sign in to follow this  
Buuxo

odaygaygi wuxuu yiri

Ariadne   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Him: 'as I sat watching TV I heard Leila scream! I ran over and saw that a huge cockroach was attacking her! I stamped on it and killed it. Ooh Leila is so fragile and when she's scared she breathes in the most beautiful way'.

pure awesome!

Okay back to the topic.

Odayiayga iyo Xaskayga is not exclusivly Somali.

In American Slang refering to your spouse or common law partner as " my old man" and "my old lady" has been around since the 50s.

Pujah   

I don’t really like referring to people as anything other then their name but if I were to start I would probably prefer “ninkayga” as opposed to “odagayga” the later one just doesn’t seem right.

Funny this topic came up because I remember asking this same question recently to friend of mine when he referred his girl as “old lady”….so it probably is more common than we think.

Faheema.   

^ lol dadka qaar baanad ka amaan helayn when you say "ninkayga" I could just imaagine qaar odhanaya....'Naa maxay tiri, ninkaygaa aa...oo yaa kaaga murmay? :D

It all depends on who you're talking to, the age group and do they know him by name etc etc. Lakiin, most likely I would call him by first name or xaajigii.

Nephissa   

^ Only if he's been to Haj you can call him a xaaji otherwise it's dambi or so I heard.

Can't stand women using those insanely absurd ninkaygii/odaygaygii terms. Af-Somaligu waa sexist language, why didn't they make the reputable word "xaas" gender-neutral one? Nin baa malaha afka qoray. :D

As for me, I say [insert his name] wuxuu yiri, and if I get asked who the hebel is I tell'em: my husband. Naa kasban-kana kumuu ahaa markii la i yiraa baa war jiraa.

This is why I prefer the English language - my significant other, my other half, my partner, my spouse, my hubby (not husband and last resort).... all so endearing and subtle.

With Somali, its sounds awkward(odayga, duqa, islaanta) or like you're ramming the idea down the other person's throat (ninkeyga, naagteyda).

'Xaaska' must be the only word that comes close to something appropriate and endearing.

Sophist   

Oorideyda!

Xaajiyadeyda

Bilcaanteyda

The above are more endearing to me than my significant other! that is too long for an adjective. And Hubby sounds like in Habb in la siinayo qofka!!

Buuxo   

lol nephthyst,then you can say waa muuseyga or midka i qabo :D

sophist, what is Ooridayda? sounds like my goat

Ibtisam   

^I use to think Ooridayha means my chicken (don't ask why, must have been word associate (dooro) or something.) Anyway i found out it means my wife, but it sounds awful. Bilcaanteyda sounds like my non significant. Doesn't bilcaan mean "on purpose" :confused:

Buuxo   

^i actually never heard of oriday, but bilcaan ,i think just means girl and certain regions use it.

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

^ Only if he's been to Haj you can call him a xaaji otherwise it's dambi or so I heard.

But ofcourse, will be performing Haj together[God willing] within the first year of marriage. smile.gif

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Ghanima:

^I use to think Ooridayha means my chicken (don't ask why, must have been word associate (dooro) or something.)

looooooooooooooooool...Warbal suga neefta ha'igu soo noqotee...

I'm sorry, i'm sorry...where were we?

Originally posted by : Nephthys

Naa kasban-kana kumuu ahaa markii la i yiraa baa war jiraa

LOL@kasban...Someone I know says "KABAN" when she's talking about her HUSBAND...

Jacpher   

^Stop it ladies. There's gotta be at least one of these words one of you is gonna like.

How about Igaarta?

Buuxo   

^ is that appropriate for a women,isnt it used for girls?

Anyhow , i tried to find a suitable word in my somali/english dictionary . And it had the following for Wife: Maranti, Xilo, Afo & Xaaska. And it only had one entry for Husband: Say . War ileen balaayo, Maranti kuma lahoo, ana islanta baan ka cabanaaye.

Jacpher   

^I guess afo is not bad though it is close to aafo as in oofsasho.

Igaarta is no worst than ilamaha/caruurta hooyadood, as in my baby mama in the hip hop culture or 'baby' for significant other, husband/wife.

Nephissa   

Jimcaale LOL. Igaarta = gabadha in af mey-mey, yes?

Kool: Weli islaan ma ku tiri, naa waa maxay surwaalkaad meelaha la mar maraysaaa waa inuu Ninkaagii ku garaacaa. :mad: