Legend of Zu

The Internet

Do you buy products/services over the internet?

If your reply is yes, then tell us...do you feel confident about the security of your personal info and data?

If No, then what makes you reluctant to purchase products over the net?

Cheers

Castro   

^ LOZ, is this a consumer survey? Do I get an iPod out of this? ;)

I buy everything online (excpet groceries and gas). I also pay all my bills online. The internet is quite secure if you understand a little something about strong encryption. Although my card was stolen off a site once, I didn't have to pay anything.

There's nothing like buying books or airline tickets online while in bed wearing a hoos gunti.

LoooL Castro,

it is not a survey..it had occured to me that

I'm reluctant to purchase over the net and I thought about it why is it? couldn't come up with any reason. So i thought ask the Nomads! what is their case for/against purchasing over the net.

Cheers

Jacpher   

^ LOZ, is this a consumer survey? Do I get an iPod out of this?

Exactly. Do I get iPod nano?

While I don't trust online transactions, I do pay my bills online including Xawilaad. It took them forever. I don't do much shopping online. I like to see, feel & touch the product I’m buying. I guess you can call it nomad-shopping syndrome. Shop, touch, feel & compare. :D More like that priceline.com commercial.

Depending what you use. I'll advice against using debit cards and shopping online. Credit cards are pretty much save to use. Most, if not all CC companies don't hold consumers any accountability of fraudulent charges should your cc# fall in the wrong hands. I think by law you’re only liable for fifty dollars, at least here in the states. Debit cards are completely different ball game.

Originally posted by Castro:

Do I get an iPod out of this?
;)

Talking of gadgets, today I asked the purchasing manager to get LST this dell Axim X51v through online. "Communication" gadgets are good for employees. smile.gif

X51_120x107.jpg

Make sure it's a reputable online firm- look for their address on the website, skim-read their long small print(with a magnifying glass), check for hidden costs(is the shipping cost worth the buy?) and buy, buy, buy. Also, use your credit card not your debit card.

Also if you're buying from an individual such as on Ebay or Amazon Market Place, make sure to check out their feedback, and especially the negative feedback, even if it's just 1% of the total. It gives you an idea of what could go wrong. Also check what their return policy is, some places have quite a generous return policy but others not so much so.

Also read about their guarantees and there are many sites out there that will review a shopping site.

If you're in the UK you might want to check out dooyoo.co.uk

Thanks guys for the replies...

I do all my banking and Bill payments over the Net...but what i couldn't do was buy a product.

I noticed most of you said "dont use your debit card" why is that? i know you would prolly say "it is Obvious duuh"..but may be it is not obvious to many...including me

So why not debit Card?

Cheers

Sky   

I bought a PSP online as a present for my kid brother of 16. Much cheaper and it was my first time. I must say, I should have gone to the store.

psp-value-pack.jpg

Grateful as he is, he complained about sore fingers after playing for a while.

Jumatatu   

Buying from the internet is something not for me, I am the kind of a person who has a phobia paying bills through direct-debit let alone buying on credit card through the net. The thought of giving access to someone you dont know to fiddle with money you worked so hard for is not in my blood. Like giving your details over the net to me is like walking naked on the catwalk ( yeah I agree with you it could be an eyesore :D ) yet am very possesive and protective of what I have earned.

The gadgets I like or want I simply go down to Tottenham Court Road and buy it over the counter, trust me it is cheaper than Ebay or any other Internet shop.

Call me an old git but that is how I am.. :D

Sincere   

^^Im with you that. Im of the ol school class on this. If I am to indulge and purchase a "toy" I prefer to physically examine the product, test it if possible, and only then will I dip into my pocket. Books are the only exception to this rule.

NGONGE   

Though I’ve used computers almost daily for the past fifteen years. Though I’ve done loads of IT courses and almost fell into the trap of calling myself an IT professional, I am, deep down at heart, a raging luddite. I appreciate Charles Babbage and his girlfriend’s work, I love a spinning jenny but I will not buy anything online. I need to feel and touch the product before I pay for it (this includes groceries).

I also do not ‘shop’ on the phone. I want to speak to a real person when I buy things. A person that I could, later on when the product proves to be faulty, strangle with his/her own store tie.

Nephissa   

I pay all my bills online, and purchase books all the time. I can surf to find the lowest prices online as well. Plus, I like recieving packages through the mail. Which reminds me to pay my parking ticket today! Anything else I hit the stores or malls, where I can see, touch, smell, experience the products, something I can't do online.

Has anyone tried ordering books from Somali sites? Can't imagine giving out my credit card or other vital information to those Farahs. I wanted The Yibir of Las Burgabo. Can one of you cool nomads in Minneapolis or Columbusarea send me a copy? :D