Sign in to follow this  
maakhir_ladyuk

LasQoray Jetty project

Nisar   

Thanks for the pics Cowke! Very nice. Do you know which port/s they are taken in? Where did you get them from by the way?

And yes, interesting dynamics between Bosasso and Las Qoray. Would be interested to hear more about your thoughts on this when you have time.

Nisar   

Hi Nassir, thanks for that. You mention many interesting points and I have many questions in response to your points. Here are a couple:

1. What do you think about the public vs private ownership issue? Can public work?

2. Why do you think the older generation and women have been most supportive?

Where are the on-line documents by the way?

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Nisar:

Thanks for the pics Cowke! Very nice. Do you know which port/s they are taken in? Where did you get them from by the way?

Pics were taken from Boosaaso Port.

Xudeedi   

Nisar:

First and foremost welcome to SOL, secondly as of your interest in the LQ Jetty Project much information is available both online through advocate sites and in SOL by active supporters in the Diaspora. The project has been through many phases as its site might suggest, but commitment from Horn Relief and the hopeful Somali’s in diaspora has remained constant. An enormously high aspiration as similar project was never attempted by a community in chaotic Somalia so its declaration created wide and diverse opinions. Some suggested that the aim is unfeasible where as others pointed to political constraints but the great majority of Somali’s welcomed the courage of Horn Relief and the Maakhir Community.

Makhiri Minnesotans as leading donors: For Minnesotan’s, the jetty project was received as an entrepreneurial project that would link the diaspora’s capital interest to the development of Makhiri regions and Somalia overall. Minnesota being home to thousands of Makhiri families, it became an important campaign ground for the project. Thousands filled up meeting ballrooms to demonstrate their support for this new hope that was birthed. Informational seminars were held by experts in port construction and development that presented the aim and objectives of the project. Fliers, brochures, and other fundraising tools became visible in schools, businesses, and other public settings.

Laasqorayportevent40.jpg

Laasqorayportevent33.jpg

Laasqorayportevent15.jpg

Xudeedi   

Role of the students: The Minnesota Somali Student Associations role in campaigning for this project can never be overemphasized. They hosted many of the events that were held for the cause and even wrote proposals to various grant donors. They educated the general populous of the tax incentives they receive in donating for the cause of the project as any donation to a non-profit is a tax deductible.

31.jpg

Hundreds of Makhiri's line up in Student Organized fundraising event to pledge donation for the port cause.

Xudeedi   

Role of Politics: Former president of the TFG has pledged to commit to this project a donation he received for regional development purposes. Cadde Muuse being the president of Puntland at the time was handed the funds ($500,000) but nothing was received by Horn-Relieve. Efforts are currently being made by General Ilka Jiir (Interior Minister) of Puntland to restore those funds for its proper purpose. General Ilka Jiir and other Makhiri politicians have negotiated with president Faroole in addressing how his administration can take a more active role in the Jetty Project. Much progress was achieved as the project site reports in terms of security and political stabilization.

21.jpg

General Ilka Jiir: Chief of Security affairs in Sanaag/ Haylaan/ and Western Bari Regions and an advocate for the Jetty Project.

Xudeedi   

Libaax- lol definitely on my part ee ina adeer xaal qaado. I've mentioned his interior ministry post on the above paragraph. The title chief of security is in reference to the Jetty Project.

Nisar, welcome to SOL.

Enough information has been said by fellow Nomads. As far as I know, the progress of Laasqoray port project is going slightly slower than anticipated, but in spite the anarchy and difficult conditions in Somalia, I think we're getting there. The project has passed many phases and is going through its last phases.

The aim of the project is create economic development for Somali regions of Sanaag, Sool, Bari, Togdheer, and Saaxil. This project will be the first community developed/owned port, and I am very grateful to Horn Relief and key donors who are devoted in about making this dream come true.

Here is the most recent conversed about Lasqoray port event, held by large Sanaag/Haylaan community in Nairobi, Kenya. October 25, 2009.

DSC02697_2.JPG

DSC02669.JPG

DSC02658_2.JPG

Faadumo.jpg

Nisar   

Great! Thanks for all of the feedback so far folks.

I especially like the picture of the sultan (is the famous M Ali Shireh?) and one of the latest important figures on the ground, Gen Ilka Jiir. I have heard a lot about both of these men in my discussions so far.

How do people feel about the current difficulties faced by the project? I am a fan and I hope it succeeds but there is still some way to go.

nisar

Nisar   

I certainly think all options have to be explored as donor funding is more difficult with piracy and the recession. Private funding also may change the nature and ownership of the project from its community owned one. Is this a problem or not?